Software Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how do you formulate a brew?

• pen & paper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • do what it says on the back of the can

• promash

• beersmith

• beeralchemy

• qbrew

• excel

• shareware

• other

• Total voters
8 Year ProMash user. :beerbang:

Come to think of it I'd be stumped if I knew how to formulate a recipe without it. :eek:

Warren -

Use both beersmith and promash here but voted for promash as thats what i prefer. I might aswell add some points to my post, I like how you can have more than one promash loaded at a time so you can be working on several recipes at once without having to close and open them all the time, you can have many recipes on screen at once.
Beersmith i like the left hand section lay out with the folders and so forth.

I don't generally use software for anything other than recipe formulation. Water needed for mash and sparge, dead spaces, kettle loss and what not i just work out in my head on the day as after brewing for so long and getting to know your system all that stuff becomes automatic and easy to work out in your head quickly. Although i have programmed it all into the software anyway most brewers never need to look at it after a few brews.

Oh yeah and my first 50 odd brews were all pen and paper and calculator, I'd recomend most brewers learn how the actuall calculations are done but of course its one of those things you don't have to know to make great beer.

Alcohol fueled brewtality
Jayse

I voted for Excel but...

I use Promash for recipe formulation, useful for converting regular recipes to gluten free - punch in the recipe from BYO etc.. then start substituting products. The only thing it won't do for me is handle the complex mash schedule I use and I find the carbonation options a bit light on.

I have a spreadsheet I developed for recipe record keeping and the mash schedule, I punch all the recorded actuals back into this at the end of the day so I have a good record of all my experiments, helps me track the perfomance of my malt quality as well.

Cheers, Andrew.

jayse said:
Oh yeah and my first 50 odd brews were all pen and paper and calculator, I'd recomend most brewers learn how the actuall calculations are done but of course its one of those things you don't have to know to make great beer.

Alcohol fueled brewtality
Jayse
[post="125302"][/post]​

C'mon Jayse, how did you work out IBUs and EBC units when you run out of fingers? :lol:

That's the thing these days. I'm so attuned to ProMash I'd be buggered as to how I'd figure out my bittering hop levels and how much roast to add to a dark beer. :eek:

I sort of got ProMash the day I started A/G brewing. In fact if the computer spat it I'd almost have to cancel my brewday. :blink:

Warren -

If there is an easier program to use than beertools, i'd like to know, its just too easy to use. Promash is for squares :p

Flame suit on!!

Bumping this.

Interested in the result and wonder if any didn't vote the first time round.

I am a rule o' thumb man and go pen and paper for partials and extract brewing. Have tried promash for AG and not sure whether to buy it or one of the others. Simpler is better for me and I like Batz's advice so far.

I've only done a few AG brews so far and they have been with pen & paper in one hand and Palmers how to brew in the other. It all made sense but was a bit slow. I ended up buying Promash and like the way you can tweak recipes & see how the ibu's & colour change automatically. Even the inventory function is ok.

I'm a Promash user, but looking long and hard at registering Beer Tools Pro.

Up until recently when Santa dropped Beersmith down the chimney, I was using Recipator, the online freebie from HBD.
A bit limited but that suits my pc skills, well worth a look.

I like Beersmith and will keep using it for a lot of things (if I can get it working again). I have bought Beer Tools Pro though as it comes highly recommended for its recipe tool.

regards
Scott

I'm a Promash user, but looking long and hard at registering Beer Tools Pro.
[/quote
'
hi, from analysis of recipes on beertools by "raydownunder" the bitterness calculated by beertools is approx 20% higher than an average calculation.

so what do you think.?

cheers alan

When this poll was first published I was a ProMash user but have since switched to Beersmith just 'cos it's so much simpler (to me) to use. I also regiustered BeerTools Pro as I liked the web integration but then found out you couldn't upload recipes developed on the native client to the web, you can only d/l from the web to the client. If (when?) they add that upload functionality I'll be giving BeerTools another check over.

ProMash all the way. After doing a few brews now i can calculate what should make a good brew day ie 5kg grain, hops and me, but still really rely upon Promash

Beersmith for me. I found promash far too complicated.

In light of the Best Software thread floating around today I thought I may bump this poll. I use Promash, but the lack of updates and support has me thinking about trialling BeerSmith

I find Beersmith quite good, now im onto AG, i just set up all my ingredients seperately in what I have in Stock(inventory), and I dont have to worry about all the ingredients that is pre-installed on there..

Another forum member set mine up as there is a couple gliches on there, i just punch in my ingredients as I go for each recipe and slowly build it up that way.. The brewsheet that you can print off makes things very easy on brewday..

Cheers

In light of the Best Software thread floating around today I thought I may bump this poll. I use ProMash, but the lack of updates and support has me thinking about trialling BeerSmith

I have been thinking similar thoughts lately but am reluctant to discard ProMash as there is no real way to transfer my recipes from ProMash to BeerSmith except for Doc's program which I have yet to try out.
A search on the subject has led me to believe that Doc's conversion prog is not quite 100% efficient?
Would love it if you could put my mind at rest Doc. :icon_cheers:

TP :beer:

PS --- Can quite understand Jeffery Donovan's lack of progress in updating ProMash what with his wife's illness taking top priority.

I have been thinking similar thoughts lately but am reluctant to discard ProMash as there is no real way to transfer my recipes from ProMash to BeerSmith except for Doc's program which I have yet to try out.
A search on the subject has led me to believe that Doc's conversion prog is not quite 100% efficient?
Would love it if you could put my mind at rest Doc. :icon_cheers:

TP :beer:

PS --- Can quite understand Jeffery Donovan's lack of progress in updating ProMash what with his wife's illness taking top priority.

I was about to :angry: at you until I finished reading your sentence. Yes I think his priorities lie elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back