Sodium Percarbonate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Matt

Reaction score
I was originally going to ask if gloves were required when using Sodium Percarbonate, as the label has no warnings what so ever.

I have since found a safety sheet that states gloves & eyewear are required, and not to breath the stuff.

Does everyone wear gloves when using this? I know Caustic Soda is a lot more hazardous, but it seems similar precautions are required for SP in any case.

hi matt,
i.m not sure about the do's and dont's but I just used a s/s pot to cook crabs then put 1/2 a cup of s/per on it to clean it along with what evere else needed cleaning in @ 70c and after it cooled just hands in didn't seem any different to napisan.
dunno i'm not glowin in the dark yet lol

I scoop it out of the bag with bare hands, don't get in my eyes and don't get it near my skin when mixed with boiling water for obvious reasons.

Perc is like a solid peroxide so I'd be very wary of breathing in fine dust. The variety we use is coated granules that prevent loss of oxygen and there's little or no dust.
I've soaked my feet in perc solution on occasion for ingrown toenails etc. Very soothing.

Yob said:
Nope, but a quick dip into the starsan sorts it out.
Yer talkin' that chemicalism again.

Edit: Whoa, Bribie really, foot soak??? Never would have occurred to me.

I have breathed in the dust accidently....not something you would want to repeat...

As ,ong as your not making huge plumes of dust then you should be safe..

Or you could get one of those full scoober dive air supplies and mask when opening up your Nappi-San

I'm guessing that's similar to those "Dr. Fish" fish tanks in Bali/Thailand where the fish nibble your dead skin?

Bribie G said:
Perc is like a solid peroxide so I'd be very wary of breathing in fine dust. The variety we use is coated granules that prevent loss of oxygen and there's little or no dust.
I've soaked my feet in perc solution on occasion for ingrown toenails etc. Very soothing.
Holy crap. I'm trying that tonight. Thanks Bribie.

Latest posts

Back