Sodium Percarbonate (pure) $4 Per Kg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PostModern said:
I did some reading a while ago and thought that this is the theoretical highest concentration that is stable. Any higher and it would dissolve in air. The granules contain a stabilising agent to hold the percarbonate in solid form...

I may be mistaken and would be glad to read proof to the contrary.
[post="97521"][/post]​

I'm not sure that this is a definitive answer, but it infers that you can have 100% pure Sodium Percarbonate.

Sodium percarbonate is mainly used as a bleaching chemical in laundry detergents, laundry additives and machine dishwashing products. The pure product (100 %) is also available for consumers as a laundry additive.

Link to quoted text

The linked document also infers that it has a minimal effect on the environment (which I had already heard).

AndrewQLD said:
Thats interesting tangent, I used sodium percarbonate (fiesta oxyaction) yesterday for the first time in some badly stained kegs, cleaned them up a treat but I noticed the stuff was very slippery, like soap, and I thought it would need to be rinsed well. Maybe my concentrations were too high.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="97543"][/post]​

Hi Andrew

That slippery feel isnt soap or surfactant added to your sodium percarbonate I dont think. Does it feel soapy/slippery when wearing gloves?

If not I think that soapy feel comes from the natural oils present on your bare skin being hydrolysed by the sodium percarbonate and being turned into a soap. Similar to the way vegetable oil can be turned into margarine.

Snow said:
I just rang Consolidated Chemicals in Brisbane and they don't stock Sodium Perc in their storeroom and would have to freight it up to Brisbane. It would be a 25kg bag for $5/kg.

- Snow
[post="97526"][/post]​

I'll go 5kg if you get some interest Snow

And yes it's slippery , washed my carboy with it ONCE :angry:

Batz

your pic is broken Batz
post it again!
what happened?

Batz said:
Snow said:
I just rang Consolidated Chemicals in Brisbane and they don't stock Sodium Perc in their storeroom and would have to freight it up to Brisbane. It would be a 25kg bag for $5/kg.

- Snow
[post="97526"][/post]​

I'll go 5kg if you get some interest Snow

And yes it's slippery , washed my carboy with it ONCE :angry:

Batz
[post="97576"][/post]​

Hell Jeff, is that all that's left of your carboy after using that stuff? :lol:
GL, I wasn't wearing gloves so what your saying makes a lot of sense.
Boots, thanks for the great links
Warren, I put a whole capfull in about 2 lt of water :blink: , no wonder it cleaned off the stains in a bout 3 minutes.

And Snow, I'll take 5 kilos off you as well, it's good stuff.

cheers
Andrew

Nasty crack there Batz, what's the go there?

Tractor accident? :p

wee stu said:
Tractor accident? :p
[post="97628"][/post]​

Well done Stu

Kick Batz while he's down ! :blink: :blink:

Cheers

Batz :ph34r:

Batz said:
Well done Stu

Kick Batz while he's down ! :blink: :blink:

[post="97642"][/post]​

Well, how else am I going to reach the bits that really hurt :blink:?

Seriously, best wishes.

edit sorry for the off thread tangent (then again, maybe he should apologise for himself ;) ?) Whatever, back to normal programing.

Brissy folks looking at a bulk buy for sodium percarbonate I am interested.

PostModern said:
pint of lager said:
Pomo, double check the ingredients, I use Woolies Home Brand Nappy Treatment Plus, which lists the active ingredient Sodium percarbonate 346g/kg which means there is 654 gms of filler in there.
[post="97514"][/post]​

I did some reading a while ago and thought that this is the theoretical highest concentration that is stable. Any higher and it would dissolve in air. The granules contain a stabilising agent to hold the percarbonate in solid form...

I may be mistaken and would be glad to read proof to the contrary.
[post="97521"][/post]​
Not so. You can get close to 100% sodium percarbonate.

Follow some of the links at http://brewiki.org/CleaningAndSanitation (the links at the bottom of the table might help).

Napisan type stuff from supermarkets is usually well under 50% sod perc. the rest made up with filler, fragrances and other stuff. I have never seen a packet with recommendations for cleaning food related surfaces.

peas_and_korn said:
Umm... what would you use sodium percarbonate to clean? (never heard of the stuff)
[post="97461"][/post]​
groupheadclean.jpg

Not to mention all things brew related.

AndrewQLD said:
Thats interesting tangent, I used sodium percarbonate (fiesta oxyaction) yesterday for the first time in some badly stained kegs, cleaned them up a treat but I noticed the stuff was very slippery, like soap, and I thought it would need to be rinsed well. Maybe my concentrations were too high.
[post="97543"][/post]​
Sodium percarbonate decomposes into sodium carbonate (washing soda) and O2. The sodium carbonate is alkaline and gives a slippery feel. Of course there may well be added detergents in fiesta.

They probably mean no rinse as in "it won't kill you" vs best for your beer although if it is well drained I wouldn't imagine it increasing your water hardness appreciably. In anycase, I always follow a wash with sanitiser so it is moot for me.

I too would be in on a brisy bulk buy. On another note has anyone got a supplier of phos acid in bris that dosn't require buying 25L or else this may also be a good bulk buy.

Regards Derrick

Latest posts

Back