Sodium Percarbonate (pure) $4 Per Kg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm going to be buying a 25KG sack of Sodium Percarbonate for cleaning my brewing gear (amongst other things).

Works out to just under $4 per KG ($96 for the bag). I'd want at least 10KG for myself, but I'm happy to get more than a single bag if there is enough interest.

I'll be getting the bag around the end of the week / start of next week.

Cheers
Boots

put me down for five kg also boots.

Cheers
Jayse

I get No Name Nappy Cleaner (pure sodium percarbonate) for $2.39 for 500g. For the saving of cents per kilo.... are you sure you got a good deal?

Pomo, double check the ingredients, I use Woolies Home Brand Nappy Treatment Plus, which lists the active ingredient Sodium percarbonate 346g/kg which means there is 654 gms of filler in there.

I'll be interested in a Queensland bulk buy of this

Batz

Batz said:
I'll be interested in a Queensland bulk buy of this

Batz
[post="97515"][/post]​

Batz,

Ozbrewer bought some a while back & may still have some left over if you contact him - He should be able to give you contact names, if not...

cheers Ross

pint of lager said:
Pomo, double check the ingredients, I use Woolies Home Brand Nappy Treatment Plus, which lists the active ingredient Sodium percarbonate 346g/kg which means there is 654 gms of filler in there.
[post="97514"][/post]​

I did some reading a while ago and thought that this is the theoretical highest concentration that is stable. Any higher and it would dissolve in air. The granules contain a stabilising agent to hold the percarbonate in solid form...

I may be mistaken and would be glad to read proof to the contrary.

I just rang Consolidated Chemicals in Brisbane and they don't stock Sodium Perc in their storeroom and would have to freight it up to Brisbane. It would be a 25kg bag for $5/kg.

- Snow

Thats interesting tangent, I used sodium percarbonate (fiesta oxyaction) yesterday for the first time in some badly stained kegs, cleaned them up a treat but I noticed the stuff was very slippery, like soap, and I thought it would need to be rinsed well. Maybe my concentrations were too high.

Cheers
Andrew

for peace of my mind i rinse almost everything with some boiled water.

I just found these sachets, never used one before so I'm leaving a packet in a 90L drum to see if it'll remove that stubborn line..... it's funny how NOW we're interested in Napisan and removing those stubborn brown lines! :blink: :lol:

AndrewQLD said:
Thats interesting tangent, I used sodium percarbonate (fiesta oxyaction) yesterday for the first time in some badly stained kegs, cleaned them up a treat but I noticed the stuff was very slippery, like soap, and I thought it would need to be rinsed well. Maybe my concentrations were too high.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="97543"][/post]​

Andrew, I thought those cleaners also had surfactants in them which would indeed need rinsing.

- Snow

Isn't the consensus to use percarbonate as a cleaner but then sanitise with something else (like Slingshot or one of the other dairy sanitisers)?

Snow said:
AndrewQLD said:

Cheers
Andrew
[post="97543"][/post]​

Andrew, I thought those cleaners also had surfactants in them which would indeed need rinsing.

- Snow
[post="97548"][/post]​

Your probably right Snow, the label only says the active constituent is sodium percarbonate so I assumed that was all it contained. Oh well it did the job really well and I rinsed with heaps of water.

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
I thought it would need to be rinsed well. Maybe my concentrations were too high.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="97543"][/post]​

Andrew

Little goes a long way. I use about 2 teaspoons per keg. Trick is making sure the water is fairly hot. Hotter the better to create the oxy/foaming action.

I leave it overnight and just rinse each keg twice. The slippery/slimy feel seems to reduce when the water and solution cool overnight.

After this I mix up 5ml of iodophor to 5 lts of water and just shake it around the keg.

Warren -

On Sosmans site, Brewiki, he states that a surfactant can be added to straight sodium percarbonate to improvice it's "wetting" which i take to mean it will coat all surfaces better. I'd say that's why those little sachets don't need rinsing (?) perhaps they are straight sodperc. and no surfactants. I would always rinse it myself though.

Sodium Percarbonate should not be used as a sanitiser, only a cleaner. There are much better products for sanitising.

Do a search on Sodium Percarbonate on and heaps will turn up on AHB.

I will do a bit more looking into what PostModern was saying about the maximum concentration though...

Back