Sodium Percabonate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesunsettree

Drink Drank Drunk
Reaction score
hi all,

i have been filtering for a couple of years now and have always resisted using napisan to clean my filter with. it may be stupid but i just felt weird about using it especially when you read the ingredients list and it says 30% sod perc and doesnt name any of the other ingredients, whats the other 70%??? anyway i have as thoroughly as possible cleaned my filter with pink and sanitiser and rinsed well and stored in the back of my kegerator were it usually ices up lightly. i feel as though it has been cleaned well enough to stave off any major issues. however recently i filtered a few stouts and other dark beers and likewise my filter looked quite the worse for wear. so i submitted and soaked it in napisan overnight and thoroughly back flushed it with warm water, it has come up so incredibly clean it looks like new!! its so tempting to use it regularly but i still feel a bit weird about using it, i know you can buy pure sod perc from some places but i cant get it from lhbs. my missus came home with this (photo attached) today and it has full ingredient listing - mineral salts, sod perc, sod bicarb, citrates, biodegradable surfactant (whatever the fk that is). maybe its no better, maybe its worse - dunno, it is supposed to be eco friendly, and totes no nasty chemicals. it was about $8ish from woolies (no affiliation - actually used to work for them and i hate the c#%ts). maybe this is helpful to someone else, maybe someone can tell me i'm playing with my dick. anyway i put it out there, any thoughts

cheers
matt sod_perc.jpg

I nearly bought that recently. Looks good.

The woollies brand is completely biodegradeable if that helps.

I rinse thoroughly, all water goes on the garden, no issues so far.

I nearly bought that recently.

The wollies brand is completely biodegradeable if that helps.

yea but from memory it also only quotes sodium perc as the only ingredient at 30%. again i may be playing with myself but its the other 70% that worries me

cheers
matt

I use the plant based Laundry Liquid in the same brand, ECO Store and it's pretty good stuff, probably doesn't help much. It's made in New Zealand which probably doesn't help much either. I haven't seen the Whitener here in Tassie though.
I use the Vanish Napisan, Babycare one without enzymes or fragrance for my tough stains and found it really good with no ill effects thus far to be known of.
I'd use PBW if I had a chiller or filter to clean, it's non-hazardous apparently.

@sunsettree: I understand what you mean but the biodegradeable bit is enough to settle my unease. You could try and source some pure sodium percarb if you're truly worried - otherwise the product you have looks pretty good. I only went the woolies stuff due to budget.

I've been using brewcraft no-rinse sachets since I started. I actually bothered to have a look at the packets and its just sodium perc.

Guess what I'll be buying from woolies next time I run out of sanitiser?

Mix sodium percarbonate with water and what do you get - an oxygen bleach that is good for cleaning. Buy pure Sodium percarbonate and you won't get the surfactants and detergents included. More expensive but cheaper in the long run.

Or just use a bleach solution to clean your filter (no surfactants or detergent). Let dry after rinsing and use no-rinse sanitiser before use...................ever heard this before.

Screwy

Is it true that sodium perc. can be used as a sanitiser over 70 degrees C?

Sodium percarb has antibacterial qualities, especially when mixed with hot water (which is how I generally use it). However it still needs to be rinsed so if you're into using no rinse sanitisers, I'd stick with them and use sodium percarb for cleaning.

@Screwy - If I can find pure SP I'll definitely use it. Any suggestions where? I know BribieG has some but his geriatric dementia laden mind always seems to forget where.

Is it true that sodium perc. can be used as a sanitiser over 70 degrees C?
Seems so, however while I have a big bucket of it (from a bulk buy last year) I don't use it as such.
I just add a bit of dishwashing liquid to act as a surfactant and use it to clean most anything, its great stuff.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...;showarticle=18
"Sodium Percarbonate breaks down into Sodium Carbonate and Hydrogen Peroxide. It is this Hydrogen Peroxide that is the sanitising agent in Nappi-San.Nappi-San requires very hot water (above 65*c ) to work effectively."

Mix sodium percarbonate with water and what do you get - an oxygen bleach that is good for cleaning. Buy pure Sodium percarbonate and you won't get the surfactants and detergents included. More expensive but cheaper in the long run.

Or just use a bleach solution to clean your filter (no surfactants or detergent). Let dry after rinsing and use no-rinse sanitiser before use...................ever heard this before.

Screwy

I'm pretty sure I saw you post that almost word for word in a different thread earlier today if that answers the question.

Sodium percarb has antibacterial qualities, especially when mixed with hot water (which is how I generally use it). However it still needs to be rinsed so if you're into using no rinse sanitisers, I'd stick with them and use sodium percarb for cleaning.

@Screwy - If I can find pure SP I'll definitely use it. Any suggestions where? I know BribieG has some but his geriatric dementia laden mind always seems to forget where.

Got some in a bulk buy a while back. Try a chemical supplies business go in with some other brewers in a BB.

Screwy

I guess around 1/3 the concentration you'd use the usual 30% supermarket stuff.

Beerbelly sells it as well think it's about $5-$6/kg that's where I get it from

I've read that a lot of people use the 30% stuff at lower concentrations than its recommended rate on the container, however I use it at around the full recommended strength and rinse well.
I like the added antibacterial effect when used with extra hot water but always use a no-rinse sanitiser. Killing a few bugs can't be a bad thing even if you are gonna use a sanitiser.

I've been using a "no-rinse" sanitiser from brew craft. It says it contains "oxygen activated mineral crystals (sodium percarbonate). They come in 25g packs and it says to mix it with 5L of water.

It also says on the packet that it "...prepares your brewing equipment using activated oxygen, breaking down to leave only oxygen, water and minerals found naturally in water."

Do you reckon this stuff is 100% sodium percarbonate?

You store the filter in the back of the fridge? :huh:

My understanding and i have only just bought one so have spent a lot of time scouring this site for tidbits of info is that after cleaning it you should be drying it and storing it dry.

Fridge is about the last place i would put something to keep it dry.

Latest posts

Back