Sodastream Bottle Or Keg Charger. Which Is Best?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simmo152

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just after some advice from keggers who have a portable party keg setup on the pros and cons of using either sodastream bottles or those kegchargers that use the small gas bulbs.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=979

I already have a large gas bottle and Harris 601 reg to force carbonate the kegs, so the party setup would only be needed to pour.

Also my 19L kegs have a central spear so I use a type "S" european sankey coupler. Same beer out gas in thread size as a standard CUB coupler.

Does anyone know if the keg chargers can fit or be adapted to fit the gas in thread of the coupler?

Or can replacement sodastream bottles be bought in the ACT.

Thanks brew people!

Simmo

Sodastream is heaps better. They hold over 20 times the gas, and you get to regulate the pressure. They have 330g of CO2 as opposed to 8,12, or 16 depending on the cartridges you use. Sodastream can cost more if you want to have both running at the same time (ie buying another reg) but worth it imo.

Regarding the coupler, do you mean something like this?

And sodastream replacement bottles can be bought... well you only buy one then just keep swapping... usually kmart,bigW,coles or woolies. Check the store locator on www.sodastream.com.au

The keg chargers screw straight onto an MFL threaded QD, so may not be suitable..?

Sodastream is heaps better. They hold over 20 times the gas, and you get to regulate the pressure. They have 330g of CO2 as opposed to 8,12, or 16 depending on the cartridges you use. Sodastream can cost more if you want to have both running at the same time (ie buying another reg) but worth it imo.

Regarding the coupler, do you mean something like this?

And sodastream replacement bottles can be bought... well you only buy one then just keep swapping... usually kmart,bigW,coles or woolies. Check the store locator on www.sodastream.com.au

Hi Sammus,

Do you mean I need to get another reg because the sodastream bottle once connected to the regulator cannot be disconnected until empty?

If so I guess I could use this:

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=765

Cheers mate

Hi Sammus,

Do you mean I need to get another reg because the sodastream bottle once connected to the regulator cannot be disconnected until empty?

If so I guess I could use this:

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=765

Cheers mate

Nah you don't need another reg, you can just screw and unscrew the one you have - you do need an adaptor though due to different threads. Don't know why you'd want one with a tap in it like that though, I say go for the simpler to tap option - the cylinders seal themselves if theres nothing connected (make sure you unscrew the adaptor too!). I was just saying I always like to have my home setup set up - so I have a whole seperate portable setup.

Thanks Sammus,

I will go the sodastream and adaptor option for my party setup.

Cheers

There's a lot of personal taste in this stuff, I think.

I contemplated the SodaStream adapter with valve in it as people tell me I shouldn't let liquid CO2 into the regulator and such a valve would allow me to throw the whole lot into the back of the car without having to worry about it. I ended up not doing that, and if I am *that* concerned, I unscrew the cylinder.

The cost thing depends on how much you intend to use it. I haven't done the sums for the little charger things versus anything, but as an illustration of what I mean, consider the rental (only) on a big gas cylinder ($12 a month, I am told) versus the refill cost of a Sodastream ($12). If I use less than 330g CO2 each month, the Sodastream is cheaper (OpEx-wise).

Mind you, the SodaStream *looks* better than a bicycle accessory and gives you backup CO2 for your 'proper' setup.

I've gone the small CO2 charger option myself with those tiny CO2 cylinders.

It was more a convenience thing and I didn't want to muck around too much with a soda stream thing. Its nice and small and really easy to use. Even SWMBO can do it without too much trouble.

I used one last xmas when we travelled to SWMBO's mothers place. Even that old dragon figured it out without any trouble.

So, for pure convenience and idiot-proofness, I'd go the small keg charger option for those times you are taking a keg to a party. I wouldn't use it at home unless my 6kg cylinder had run out and I was desperate for a beer.

gary

I agree with Gary that the small soda bulb adaptors are quick and easy to use if you only need to provide pour pressure, I currently use one myself.
Sodastream would definitely be a better long term option though.

The cost thing depends on how much you intend to use it. I haven't done the sums for the little charger things versus anything, but as an illustration of what I mean, consider the rental (only) on a big gas cylinder ($12 a month, I am told) versus the refill cost of a Sodastream ($12). If I use less than 330g CO2 each month, the Sodastream is cheaper (OpEx-wise).

I use the chargers for my mini kegs AND corny's (for big party's), you only need 2-3 x 12g bulbs to push out a whole corny, which isnt too bad. It only takes a small 8g bulb to push out my 4 litre kegs too.

Cant remember what i paid for the 12g bulbs. But
i purchased bulk 8g bulbs from ebay, that worked out at 70c a bulb delivered. thats fine with me to pour a whole 4 litre keg with.

(disclaimer: those bulb amounts per keg are with 'skilled' users.! bring a drunk gumby into the equation and you can end up using an extra one or two until they get the hang of it)

The dynamic has changed a little recently.

I've just been strolling around the local Kmart and see that the new SodaStream starter kits are $48, but come with just one gas cylinder. This might change the 'value for money' dynamic of the SS route...

I guess that if you're a cyclist and can use the inflators elsewhere, it becomes a no-brainer...

SMOI: You can't use the inflators on a bike unfortunately, the MFL thread is larger than a schraeder (car) valve thread. Bulbs yes, but the inflator head, no.

Why couldn't you put a car type valve on the end of a gas line and a bicycle pump for pressure.

I know the oxygen would kill off the beer but if the keg was already gassed you just need enough to get it to flow, and of course you would have to finish off the keg on the night as it wouldn't keep with air in there.

Anyone ??

BOG

yep, several people do that and its fine, if you are going to be consuming quickly (that day or so).
co2 option is preferrable of course.. and not that hard to sort.

Latest posts

Back