Soda Stream Use ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Reaction score
Got all the gear for a take away grand final day keg, BUT with the soda stream gas bottle, do you lay it down, stand it up or doesn't it matter :excl: :blink:

Normell

I share a co2 tank with a friend, so I bought a ss bottle as well. I used it on Sat night and had it standing up. It would be standing up in the Sodastream machine, so there shouldn't be any problem. I used it laying down as well on Sun and didn't have any problems with it.
Eric :ph34r:

I share a co2 tank with a friend, so I bought a ss bottle as well. I used it on Sat night and had it standing up. It would be standing up in the Sodastream machine, so there shouldn't be any problem. I used it laying down as well on Sun and didn't have any problems with it.
Eric :ph34r:

I have had mine in every conceivable position known to man & never had a drama.

Cheers
Paul

Got all the gear for a take away grand final day keg, BUT with the soda stream gas bottle, do you lay it down, stand it up or doesn't it matter :excl: :blink:
Considering your sodastream cylinder contains liquid CO and regulators are only designed to operate with vapour upright would be the preferred position :excl:

Considering your sodastream cylinder contains liquid CO and regulators are only designed to operate with vapour upright would be the preferred position :excl:

I was under the impression that they contain pressurised gas yes, but not so pressurised that it is in a liquid form.

PZ.

They DO contain liquid gas - I thought the same thing but DarrylB set me straight here

There is no doubt they contain liquid CO2 under the same high pressure as in a full-size cylinder.

Upright is good :beer:

(edited to include link)

I was under the impression that they contain pressurised gas yes, but not so pressurised that it is in a liquid form.

PZ.
CO is in a liquid state when it is in the bottle, you draw the gas off the top and then a bit more evaporates from the liquid to fill the head space until it is finally empty. It also explains why the contents gauge on a CO cylinder always shows the same level until the cylinder is finally empty as the pressure you are measuring is the saturation pressure of the liquid/gas CO in the cylinder which varies dependant on the ambient temperature. Which also sort of explains why you should not overfill CO cylinders as when the ambient temp rises the pressure goes up pretty significantly and can lead to the burst disc in the cylinder rupturing and venting the CO. There has been a post about this recently where someone had an overfilled cylinder in their car and the burst disc ruptured, search if you are interested.

Sorry, I edited my post while others were obviously busy typing away.

DarrylB did a good job of setting me straight with all the math to back it up here

Here's a question to add to the mix. Can you re-gas a sodastream bottle yourself?? Or is it not so wise to do this? :huh:
Eric

Here's a question to add to the mix. Can you re-gas a sodastream bottle yourself?? Or is it not so wise to do this? :huh:
Eric

It can be done and I know of at least two current users who do this.

PZ.

Yep, it can be done BUT it is dangerous and you need to be very careful (and sober!)

Essentially you need to invert your donor bottle (or get one set up with a dip tube, so you get liquid out), and fill your sodastream bottle by weight. You need a high pressure hose and fittings, with relief valves etc.

I looked into it and decided that for the cost of getting set up and the danger and hassle invlved, it really wasn't worth it.

Perhaps if you can 'help yourself' to CO2 that someone else is paying for it might be worth it, but if you have a donor bottle of your own and you can carbonate your own kegs, you only need the SS cylinder for dispensing 'in the field'.

At a cost of about $2 to dispense a keg I'd rather just go to K-Mart.

Yep, it can be done BUT it is dangerous and you need to be very careful (and sober!)

Essentially you need to invert your donor bottle (or get one set up with a dip tube, so you get liquid out), and fill your sodastream bottle by weight. You need a high pressure hose and fittings, with relief valves etc.

I looked into it and decided that for the cost of getting set up and the danger and hassle invlved, it really wasn't worth it.

Perhaps if you can 'help yourself' to CO2 that someone else is paying for it might be worth it, but if you have a donor bottle of your own and you can carbonate your own kegs, you only need the SS cylinder for dispensing 'in the field'.

At a cost of about $2 to dispense a keg I'd rather just go to K-Mart.

That does sound like a bit of a hassle. I share a bottle of co2 with a friend, so we have to keep exchanging which is why I got the SS.
Me thinks easier just to go and buy.

Eric

Yep. I provide my old man and a good mate with beer in 3 gallon kegs, and using SS bottles. I refill their SS bottles from a fire extinguisher which has a dip-tube. I use a high pressure hose bought from Andale for $100. Attach one end of the hose to the fire extinguisher and the othe end to a SS adaptor, then screw the SS bottle in. Depress the trigger on the fire extinguisher, fill the SS bottle, then release the trigger. Then remove the SS bottle from the adaptor. With the apator that CraftBrewer sells with a shut-off valve it's even easier.

No worries about overfilling as the pressure in the SS bottle can't exceed that of the donor bottle.

Cheers
MAH

you can get them refilled at coles fairly cheaply

Eric

Yep. I provide my old man and a good mate with beer in 3 gallon kegs, and using SS bottles. I refill their SS bottles from a fire extinguisher which has a dip-tube. I use a high pressure hose bought from Andale for $100. Attach one end of the hose to the fire extinguisher and the othe end to a SS adaptor, then screw the SS bottle in. Depress the trigger on the fire extinguisher, fill the SS bottle, then release the trigger. Then remove the SS bottle from the adaptor. With the apator that CraftBrewer sells with a shut-off valve it's even easier.

No worries about overfilling as the pressure in the SS bottle can't exceed that of the donor bottle.

Cheers
MAH

Don't spose you wana fill mine everytime it runs out? :blink:

Anyone using the big(100L) SS bottle?
Do they have the same thread type as the 40L?

Cheers,
Simo

I don't profess to be an expert on the subject, but I really think you ought to look into that MAH. It sounds like a dangerously over-simplified theory.

High pressure gas is a big deal, and a lot of the danger is related to ambient temperature and available headspace etc. If it was as simple as you describe then it wouldn't be necessary for anyone to weigh cylinders when filling, and as far as I'm aware everyone does (except the odd homebrewer apparently).

If headspace wasn't relevant (as you imply) then a SS bottle would be about a quarter of its current size and filled to the brim with liquid.

It may be that your method isn't capable of overfilling, but that would be by chance rather than design and I don't know if I would rely on it (let alone suggest to others to do so).

Sorry to be a negative git but I really believe this isn't a good area for folks to dabble in without some seriously good research and seriously good advice.

I don't profess to be an expert on the subject, but I really think you ought to look into that MAH. It sounds like a dangerously over-simplified theory.

High pressure gas is a big deal, and a lot of the danger is related to ambient temperature and available headspace etc. If it was as simple as you describe then it wouldn't be necessary for anyone to weigh cylinders when filling, and as far as I'm aware everyone does (except the odd homebrewer apparently).

It may be that your method isn't capable of overfilling, but that would be by chance rather than design and I don't know if I would rely on it (let alone suggest to others to do so).

Sorry to be a negative git but I really believe this isn't a good area for folks to dabble in without some seriously good research and seriously good advice.

Well having done this numerous times, and yes I have weighed the bottle every time, it has never overfilled, in fact you will find that they are always slightly underfilled.

Cheers
MAH

Anyone using the big(100L) SS bottle?
Do they have the same thread type as the 40L?

Cheers,
Simo

Yep, I've got one.

Yep again, same thread and works fine with the normal adaptors :super:

But...be aware that you have to post it back to Soda Club, you cannot exchange them at Woolies, Kmart, etc and they "have no future plans" to supply them by any other method.

PZ.

Latest posts

Back