So Who Plays Golf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haysie

homebrewing is the art of over analysing
Reaction score
Golf being one of those sports that can go hand in hand with an ale. Whom plays it, what`s your handicap or a social no member player?
coughs am off 25, try to play at least once a week, only had my own clubs and playing for the last year. Love the exercise, mental and obviously the skill challenge.... which I hope to get better at both. :icon_cheers:

Could be dangerous Haysie!

I used to play a bit with the work and business associates. - y'know the drill. Got my own clubs, never use them. Great fun, but takes a lot of time that I spend with the weans. Otherwise, I'd love to peg 9 holes once a week.

I heard a golfing quote a few years ago that still holds true:

'You've gotta treat a lady nice to play the Back 9' Whatever that means :lol:

GolfBallsBeer.jpg

Golf whilst having yungins just doesnt seem to happen.... probably why there are so many old bastards my age and up on the course. My yungins are big ones now and after years of netball and football and me coaching, golf is my time! FORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'You've gotta treat a lady nice to play the Back 9' Whatever that means

I`m guessing you gotta fill her full of home brew on the front nine B)

dont have time but love to play forget handy cap when i start playing crap(99.9% of the time) i throw away the score card

Been playing golf since i was 8 years old... love it... Nothing like walking down the first on a cool autumn day with a few mates no-one else around after cracking one down the guts.

In my younger days used to play once a week, usually with the old man. Through school maybe once a fortnight. Then through uni ramped it up a notch to once to twice a week, with a session on the range thrown in. Then as i got a "real" job, back to once a fortnight to once a month. Since having a little one i think i've played 3 times in 19 months.

Tis true... no time with a family.

Very irregular hacker who scores over 100 more on the golf course (always) than on the cricket pitch (never). But get out once or twice a year. It's funny, with 48% RDO, I should've got out more this Summer.

Golf used to be mine and my mates standard Xmas Eve. But as we got older, we wound up at the pub earlier and earlier, leaving no room for golf on that day either.

For a while I was kicking around with my stepdad with the Eastwood Earlybirds. We'd go to different courses around Sydney and tee off at the crack of dawn. It was fun, but I was never any good.

love golf. started caddying with the old man when i was a young tacker. my grandparents and uncles have always played so it was only natural i played also. been hacking away ever since.

dont get to play anywhere near enough. im lucky to get in 3 games a year so my handicap sux. used to hit off about 18 and now about 23 depending on the day.

I miss my old woodern driver. i really dont like the new graphite oversized drivers. no idea why, just cant play well with them.

proly heading out to Southern golf cource for a round australia day.

PS anyone catch Fore Inventors Only last night on ABC or SBS? it was pretty interesting. some cool gadets/inventions

Why play normal golf when you can play clay pigeon golf?

20eaf203-d71f-4bac-a6b5-e5d013ccbb49.gif

I liked playing (regular golf), but since screwing up my knee last year I haven't been out in quite some time. I'm not a great shot, but I play with people of similar ability, so it's a lot of fun. My best shot so far was this little beauty - 80m par 3 hole over a very deep creek onto a sloping green. Someone swung from the mat (some other people teeing up in the background) without a tee and got the yellow ball here, then said "bet you can't do that" ... mine's the next shot, same setup, white ball. The golf gods were just teasing that day.

IMG_0130.jpg

I have managed to improve my score significantly on a full course, and I'm told that my Stableford score wouldn't be terrible for a pathetic amateur. Gotta love some features of a full-course game though;

215504651_tEpS3-L-2.jpg

PS anyone catch Fore Inventors Only last night on ABC or SBS? it was pretty interesting. some cool gadets/inventions
How anyone can make golf equipment more boring is beyond me. Some cool inventions though. Dibs on the angled lie practice mat.

Golf is probably my favorite sport. I try to get down as much as possible. I'm currently off 7 but I think that'll be creeping up soon. Nothing more satisfying than finishing a round of golf and 'earning' a beer afterwards. Or drowning the sorrows. I'm lucky to be a member of a good course so I always have mates asking if I want to play.

Built my career around golf, I love it. Lowest handicap I had was 2.8, now drifted out a little with a little girl (22 months) who I'd rather spend time with.

So I could remain around the game everyday I work on a golf course and am Superintendent at Sea Temple GC in Port Douglas. You can have a look at my blog at this link

I also am responsible for agronomy works at a number of the country's best courses such as Magenta Shores (NSW), St. Andrews Beach (VIC) and Kennedy Bay (WA), plus a number of others plus racetracks such as Randwick in Sydney. I'm sitting in a hotel room in Albury ATM visiting another course tomorrow at Yarrawonga. My PhD in turf came in handy :D

Been lucky to visit a number of the world's best courses like Cypress Point, Pebble Beach, Augusta, Riviera, Shoal Creek, etc. Off again in early February to the US and intend to get to Los Angeles CC, Bay Hill and TPC Sawgrass. Hopefully I can find some good brewpubs!!

That link from QuantumBrewer is good, there's also another on YouTube where the boys are skipping balls 200 yards across a lake to hit a small gong which was awesome as well.

Cheers.

So I could remain around the game everyday I work on a golf course and am Superintendent at Sea Temple GC in Port Douglas.
Damn that place looked fine when I was there a couple of years ago. I tell ya, if I ever become (extremely) rich, you can expect to see me on that course quite a bit. We had a conference at Sea Temple (thanks to booking too late to go anywhere cheaper) and it took all my strength to get out of the pool and go to talks. Had I managed to hit the greens, I'd have missed the lot.

Love the game used to play about twice a week when I was living in oz, its way way to expensive over here would cost in $100 a round easily. I was starting to see improvements, my best ever was 8 over for 9 holes and my handicap would be around 23-25 or so. I'll be playing a round my first week back for sure.

I play twice a week, but I am a confirmed hacker, and happy to be known as such.

My problem is that I didn't take up golf till I was 45, and by that time it was too late to ingrain a proper swing. I was probably carrying a little too much weight, had been through spinal surgery, and was showing the first signs of problems with the supraspinatus tendons in both shoulders. Add to that over the last year in particular increasing arthritis in my hands, and it helps to keep the handicap up.

I was on 19 twelve months ago, but that's blown out now to 25. I'm actually quite happy about that, because it makes it a lot easier for me to get a reasonable Stableford score, and at least win the odd ball. There's far too many burglars out there scamming their handicaps, mostly the older blokes playing in the vets catagory.

I figured about 18 months ago something wasn't quite right when I went to pick up my hoard of 5 balls for the previous 6 month, and the old codger in front of me picked up 3 dozen. So he plays 3 times a week, but there's no way anyone could play at such a consistent standard and keep a handicap which they can play to so often. They must deliberately really tank the times when they don't score a ball.

In spite of all that, I love the game, and I'm happy to keep playing as long as I can. I'm one of the odd guys who loves putting more than anything else. I use a simple classic technique, and it works often for me. I'm beyond thinking I need to drive the ball out of sight off the tee.

my kind of golf

don't play / can not play / don't understand it

Last edited by a moderator:
I got bit by the bug 5 or 6 years ago. I've had a dodgy back for the past 6 months and had my second game back last weekend and shot a 91, I play off 18 and I took .1 off my handicap. What a weird game you can practice till you go blue and play a shocker or not practice and play well.

Duff, I played at St Andrews about a year ago, every hole I felt like i was playing in a golf calendar photograph. Good work, nice life for you!

Golf??

A waste of land, water and fertiliser!

IMHO

Thanks for that, you should look into it a bit more. Golf courses do wonders for the environment and wildlife.

Golf??

IMHO
dude have you seen some of the public courses. i dont think they have heard of fertiliser. they certainly havent at my local...the 'royal' ringwood public course. mind you its a swamp half the time if theres been any rain.

but anyways, thanks for playing. we'll just pretent your one of the people that we'd have to play through if you were on a course.

I went to the Brunswick Savers (VIC) yesterday and saw (at the front of the store) a half decent set of Power Bilt clubs in a Ben Hogan Bag going for $150. It was all ok gear, it would be a fantastic weekend hack around set. The woods were all in good nick with head covers, the Power Bilt irons were good, the Hogan bag was holding up quite well, it had one of those wacky putter / chippers and the weakest link was the putter, super old school. Hey that might just suit how you roll on a course.

I always look out for putters at Savers or Op shops; you never know when you will find a Scotty Cameron. :p

yeah i caught that show, maddddd, crazy stuff in particular the putting brace/cage :lol: , it reminded me of the hanibal lector movie.

played monday, shot 34 points :( , the h,cap is not coming down in a hurry

Go Stewie Appleby over @ Hawaii :beerbang:

Some very impressive h`caps among us. Good post Duff, you lucky *******.

Golf??

IMHO

I live in the one of the biggest growth corridors in Australia, have about 6 courses within 20 min drive. I see more wildlife during the round than I would in a month of sundays outside of the course.
Water? I havent seen a course that doesnt have their own water supply.

Latest posts

Back