So Who Plays Golf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BribieG's golf story

When I was 43 I had an 18 month intense but ultimately tragic relationship with a 23 year old babe. We are talking babe here - Yardy's avatar just about comes close. We lived together and surprisingly her big hobby was golf. So, besotted, BribieG took up golf. You would. We lived near the Mango Hill Public Golf Course (since subdivided) and at first my game was shocking. However one day I whacked the ball with the wooden clubby thing and it flew in a perfect arc, landing just outside the nicely mowed area that surrounds the hole thingo - in this case the hole was surrounded by little sculptured hills so you couldn't actually see the hole itself. Sneaky.
So I selected a 7 or 9 iron whatever (short range tool) and sent the ball in another perfect arc, straight out of a PC golf simulator program, and on climbing over the little hills it was just resting at the side of the hole. So I selected the putter (yep I know what a putter is, the guy on Avatar had one delivered to Pandora which must have been expensive). Tap, and into the hole.

Having done the perfect shot I gave up golf and shortly afterwards she left me for a 50 year old anyway. Sick girl. However as Groucho Marx said "Give me a woman with a beautiful body and a sick mind".

:lol:

My new hobby is train spotting :eek: God help me. Haven't met any train spotting chicks yet, however.
Edit: see you on "Rail Back on Track" forum. Come to the dark side - we have electric multiple units and diesel tilt trains :) .

Thats a funny story Bribie :lol: you dirty ole puppy.
So I bet london to a brick on, your not going to come out for a game at Bribie Island when I visit in March :p

Shot a 92 @ Beaconhills today :icon_cheers:

Shot a 96 at Rosebud CC last Friday. Followed up with a 93 and 40 stableford points on Monday at the hometrack to take out the days comp :icon_cheers:
Getting better slowly, h`cap now 23.

Well done haysie.

I was in the US last month and went to TPC Sawgrass in Florida. Nice place, the 17th is a great little hole (9 iron).

DSC00146.JPG

BribieG's golf story

When I was 43 I had an 18 month intense but ultimately tragic relationship with a 23 year old babe. We are talking babe here - Yardy's avatar just about comes close. We lived together and surprisingly her big hobby was golf. So, besotted, BribieG took up golf. You would. We lived near the Mango Hill Public Golf Course (since subdivided) and at first my game was shocking. However one day I whacked the ball with the wooden clubby thing and it flew in a perfect arc, landing just outside the nicely mowed area that surrounds the hole thingo - in this case the hole was surrounded by little sculptured hills so you couldn't actually see the hole itself. Sneaky.
So I selected a 7 or 9 iron whatever (short range tool) and sent the ball in another perfect arc, straight out of a PC golf simulator program, and on climbing over the little hills it was just resting at the side of the hole. So I selected the putter (yep I know what a putter is, the guy on Avatar had one delivered to Pandora which must have been expensive). Tap, and into the hole.

Having done the perfect shot I gave up golf and shortly afterwards she left me for a 50 year old anyway. Sick girl. However as Groucho Marx said "Give me a woman with a beautiful body and a sick mind".

:lol:

My new hobby is train spotting :eek: God help me. Haven't met any train spotting chicks yet, however.
Edit: see you on "Rail Back on Track" forum. Come to the dark side - we have electric multiple units and diesel tilt trains :) .

Was this the sort of thing you were referring to Bribie.

Train_Girl.jpg

Played at Southern GC (keysborough melbourne) a couple weeks back. Beautiful course, magnificent greens. Great bunkers. I played shit and the handicap went back up to 23. Great course for a cart also.

@Duff, Lucky bugger you, the closest I can get to the best golf course in the USA is from the computerchair and betfair.

Noticed your location and am up there in 2 weeks, may get a day out from the gals for a hit, any particular course you recommend within a decent budget i.e I wont have clubs with me.

I come from quite a big golfing family. Grandparents on both sides play, both parents play, all three of us brothers played on and off since we were old enough to hold a club. My old man is pretty much so obsessed with the game, he moved across the road from the local course 10 years or so ago.

Personally I played a fair bit when I was 15-17 years old, a number of representative tournaments as a junior, the local club was very supportive. Was the "longest" junior in the club, occasionally in the right direction. Pretty much all changed when I hit 18 and now struggle to play a round a year.
Played a couple of months back, the first in over a year, and was suprisingly in good touch. There may have been some sexual chemistry between me and my 7 iron that day...you know things are wierd when you're teeing off with a 7 iron on a par 5.

Love my golf. Let my membership go last year. With building a house and three young kids I just wasn't playing enough to make it worthwhile. Got the bug back though and have been playing a bit more lately. Rejoining this year. With limited golf my handicap slipped back to 12.

Hey Duff,

Possibly coming to Port Douglas later this year and staying at Sea Temple. Ill let you know if it happens, might be able to have a game and a beer.

Kabooby :)

my yearly boys weekend is coming up this week, we hire a bus (with toilet etc..) and head up to the Murray, this year we up to Rich River, the trips be going for 25+ years, we have 27 this year, which is low, we generally try for 32 but have been up to 36.

The trip is all about golf :)

Golf.. I was advised to take up golf by my physio many years ago after a foot reconstuction, (Car V's me on Motorbike = Car 1 Yob 0) almost lost the foot and had to learn to walk again.. screws / pins etc... you know that sort of disturbing and agonising stuff :( was told I would always have a limp and never run again.. all sorts of doomsday stuff.. most depressing..

so when I could walk again propperly without crutches or a walking stick..

I took up snowboarding and wakeboarding for a few years Kite surfing for 1 year as well as Golf.. I got a small payout for compo for the accident and pretty much the first thing I gought was a set of clubs.. Nothing too fancy just a decent set... screw you hippies I dont need a lesson type thing and off I went to the driving range for a bit, when they stopped hitting the roof of the driving range (and my foot had gotten a little used to the movement) off to the course we went...

9 holes and lost as many balls, few weeks later, 9 holes, lost 2 balls...

3rd game ever I got a hole in 1 on the Par 3 (Burnley) with a 5 wood :lol:

..oh and I no longer limp

Capture.JPG

[edit] no handicap and rarely score these days... but should
[edit edit] - Photo so it did happen

@Duff, Lucky bugger you, the closest I can get to the best golf course in the USA is from the computerchair and betfair.

Noticed your location and am up there in 2 weeks, may get a day out from the gals for a hit, any particular course you recommend within a decent budget i.e I wont have clubs with me.

Hey Duff,

Possibly coming to Port Douglas later this year and staying at Sea Temple. Ill let you know if it happens, might be able to have a game and a beer.

Kabooby :)

Boys,

Good to hear you are heading this way. If you are in Port Douglas and want a game at Sea Temple, let me know and I will take care of it for you. Might also join you if I'm in town. Heading to Perth tomorrow, playing Kennedy Bay Thursday :)

Cheers.

Well done Yob 3rd game and a hole in one is killer. I have come close but no cigar.

I am playing club pennant for the second year, match play is such an awesome game to play, it's kicking off this Sunday.

Is any one watching the Masters? Jason Day is tearing it up, 7 under after 16 on the second day to to be 3 behind McIlroy. Augusta is such a beautiful course.

Is any one watching the Masters? Jason Day is tearing it up, 7 under after 16 on the second day to to be 3 behind McIlroy. Augusta is such a beautiful course.

Yeah, watched this morning, Jason Day had a ripper of a round but what about Tigers 31 on the back nine... magggnificent!

That was an amazing last day of golf at Augusta. At 16 I thought Scott had it in the bag, damn those South Africans. Tiger made a good dash at it but he still hasn't got that steely hunt that he used to. God damn golf at its best is awesome and tense. Day, Scott and Ogilvy played some good golf, oh well, next year for that one.

Tiger has never won a major from behind on the last day.

There were about 6 guys at work on overtime wondering why the hell we agreed to go in, instead of watch that. Would have been amazing and heartbreaking at the same time. We still can't win that damn tournament.

But if you make 4 birdies on holes 69-72 at the Masters, you deserve your green jacket.

That's the one thing I like about Y E Yang, he was the first golfer to put the screws into one of the many records Tiger holds/held and those PGA commentators can't shut up about. I think it was "beat Tiger when he was in the lead at the end of the 3rd round" at the PGA Championship a couple of years ago? Plus that shot over the tree with the rescue club was amazing. Most of the time I like the PGA commentary, but other times they can talk as much crap as the Ch9 Cricket commentators.

And yeah, it feels like there is a curse on The Masters for Australian golfers.

I had my hard earned on Y E Yang a couple of starts ago. He was beaten by one stroke by a rodeo rider wearing a stupid hat :angry: . He wont carry my money again.
Lesson?........ golf aint easy to bet on :huh:

edit. Yang has nothing on Tiger, absolutely zilch zero nothing.
Go the Aussie brigade, Day,Scott,Ogilvy,Appelby? and more on the horizon.

Latest posts

Back