So What Have I Made (according To Bjcp?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt_shovel

Reaction score
This is the recipe.

Mutha Stout (Imperial Stout)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.090 (P): 21.6
Colour (SRM): 43.0 (EBC): 84.7
Bitterness (IBU): 84.1 (Average)

70.51% Maris Otter Malt
7.69% Biscuit
7.69% Crystal 120
6.41% Smoked malt
3.85% Black Patent
3.85% Cane Sugar

2.1 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
1.6 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
1.6 g/L Fuggles (4.4% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
1.6 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.6 g/L Styrian Golding (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 11C with Wyeast 2124 - Bohemian Lager

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

My conudrum is that I don't think there is the roasted malt to call it a proper RIS, but probably too much hop flavour for a baltic porter.

Not too concerned as it is tasting great so far (finishing primary at the moment), but considering putting this into a comp for some feedback. Any suggestions on what I should enter it at? Also haven't dry-hopped it and probably won't as I am planning to lager it for a couple of months at least, so I don't think it will be worth it. Can be swayed though if people think it suitable for one style over the other.

Cheers

:beer:

Smoked imperial brown ale perhaps? :p
Probably closer to a porter, but bloody strong. Could almost be considered a dark barley wine or old ale.

I wouldn't dry hop it personally, it actually sounds quite interesting. How does Simcoe go for bittering though?

For comps, if the smoke is evident you need to out it in Specialty class, if the smoke is hidden I would put it in as a FES.

Smoked imperial brown ale perhaps? :p
Probably closer to a porter, but bloody strong. Could almost be considered a dark barley wine or old ale.

I wouldn't dry hop it personally, it actually sounds quite interesting. How does Simcoe go for bittering though?

I have used Cascade for bittering English ales to good effect. This is the first time I am using Simcoe for bittering an English style. Thought process went along the lines of, high gravity english, therefore lower hop utilisation, have got a higher alpha cascade type of hop available and cascade worked in a lower gravity ale previously. Small sample through out fermentation had me a little worried early on, but it has smoothed out towards the end of primary. Expecting it to be pretty silky after a couple of months lagering. Also hoping to see some esters develop during lagering (according to braukaiser's website) that may pull it away from a porter to a stout style...will wait and see

I would go specialty, but only if the smoke comes through. The idea of a specialty class is a good base beer with a twist. To do well, the judges still need to see what that base beer would be..and the lager yeast? Are you trying for a Bock?
Not sure I follow on where your esters are coming from after a few months of lagering.
If it was fruitier you might get away with calling it a tropical stout (especially as it will be sweet from the malt and sugar).

Following on this thread - I have the same question. Started out with a Robust Porter in mind. A few different things ended up in there, due to me liking them in other beers and thinking they might go well in a dark beer.
Seems a bit lighter 44.4 to me.
I added the roasted barley with 10 to go in the mash, prior to mash out.
Still tastes the goods though. Very happy with it.
Just wondering what it is as it (supposedly) fits BJCP for a Robust Porter

Here's the end recipe.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 49.50 L
Boil Size: 62.87 L
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 44.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients: