so I have this stainless drum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
I want to turn it into a smoker, but dont really want to cut it up to much. it has a lid as well.

Anyone got ideas about how to go about it.. 2013-12-23 15.26.10.jpg

I've got the perfect design, problem is it's very hard to put into words. Since its Christmas and I'm feeling festive I'll build it for you if you can just get it to me. ;)

That'd suit an ugly drum smoker pretty well
Google uds smoker, or wait until I get back from Holidays and i could draw up some designs

The sad thing is that at one time 1 had 8 of them. Ross @ CB bought 4 and I gave 3 to my old neighbour as barter.

They are seamless ex pharmacuitical grade drums.

Was originally going to use them for a micro....before kids, divorce...etc

Ex pharm... can't you cook meth and then just buy all the shit you need?

My brother in law built a smoker out of a 200L wine barrel.
It has an external smoke source, pid temperature controlled electric hotplate in the bottom and ventilation top and bottom. I'll take some pics if you like and find out where he got all the bits.

I would seal the lid on, maybe adding some vents, cut out most of the front (leaving intact sections at the bottom and top for rigidity) then replace with hinges to make a large door.

Add some wire shelves or hanging bars for jerky.

I'd use a gas burner in the base underneath a wood chip tray as the heat source. A small chute running through the barrel wall into the wood tray would enable you to top up without opening the barrel door. Blanking this off when not in use would obviously be useful to limit smoke loss.

Finally, mount a dial thermometer in the door section and I think you'd have a pretty serviceable smoker.

The only thing is you'd get a lot of heat loss with no insulation, so it might be a bit gas-thirsty maintaining temperature.

Weber lid fits on top, and the racks drop inside, use some tank bolts through the side to hold them. Cheap way to make a good smoker. Lots of plans just google Ugly Drum Smoker.

Mine pictured here to the right of the brew rig.

DSCF0812.jpg

UDS mate, its your only choice if u want it easy. Basically find a weber at a council cleanup/hard waste pickup, steal the lid, the grill and the lower ash grill. A second grill if you can find one (you can buy one from bunnings also) and then you can have two levels.

Buy a few 25mm fittings from Bunnings plus a ball valve and two Caps.

A flick through this thread for ideas. Its tried and true and your best bet for an easy smoke. If you add a door you'll never get it to seal.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

Definatly will not be cutting a door. Shouldnt need the weber lid as I have a flat lid with a lip to suit.

But with the Webber lid You can have a rack on top and a second rack below. With the standard lid you will be limited to just the one shelf.

Yeah, I built an UDS. Just needed 3 x holes drilled in the bottom for air and three smaller ones up top with bolts in them to hold the grill from a weber. Got a brazier from bunnings which holds the coals and it'll smoke at about 90C for 12 hours on a full basket.

5DvBsOcl.jpg

Back