So BIAB is a thing, making the transition from full extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so a few hicups but it came out awesome.
I refrigerated the grain as I got it crushed at grain and grape and had to keep it healthy 2 days till I used it.
After striking I l9st to much temp but I suspended the bag brought the temp up and kep with the mash. I started with 10 less lt in the main kettle. I followed the above steps to mash out at 78c, once there I let sit for 10min.
Removed the bag squeezed, then set aside in 10lt of 75c water for a fuurther 10min removed squeezed and added that 10lt to the main kettle.
Brought yo boil then timed 30min yill I started the 60min hop boil.
Added in some yeast nutrients and half a wirfloc tablet.
The 2nd hicup I had was I ended up with an after boil volume of 33lt not the softwears anticipated 27. I put the left over in a spare cube and in the fridge.
I chilled the wort and added to the fermenter at 20c.
3rd hichup I forgot to rehydrate my us05 (had to use dry as didnt have time yo cultivate liquid)
Ended up pitching at 18ish c

Good point is pre boil sg was 1.041 .003 above softwear anticipated, and after boil OG was 1.051 aprox .002 above that calculated by BIABacus.

I actually cracked a shop bought cascade pale ale when I was chilling and when I tasted the wort after OG measurment other yhen the sweetnes and undeveloped bitternes flavours seemed to be good. (Not close yet but I recon they will be)

I actually really enjoyed brewing this way and really hope it pays off :)

Bbowzky1 said:
I actually cracked a shop bought cascade pale ale when I was chilling and when I tasted the wort after OG measurment other yhen the sweetnes and undeveloped bitternes flavours seemed to be good. (Not close yet but I recon they will be)

I actually really enjoyed brewing this way and really hope it pays off :)
If you're referring to the Cascade brewery pale ale, it doesn't taste much the same as the recipe using Cascade hops, or at least it didn't to me when I tried one.

It is a fun process brewing from scratch, that much is for sure! :)

Rocker1986 said:
If you're referring to the Cascade brewery pale ale, it doesn't taste much the same as the recipe using Cascade hops, or at least it didn't to me when I tried one.

It is a fun process brewing from scratch, that much is for sure! :)
You may be right.
I thought it was just that it hadnt brewed out yet. (I dont really have any experience, ive now done 5 brews none of which ive drunk yet)
Tho yeah the exact beer to which you mentioned is to what I refer.

Yeah the process was very fun I just hope its gunna be equally rewarding

Yeah I'm not sure the Cascade brewery one uses Cascade hops, it may do, but having tasted both beers they aren't the same. The recipe I brewed which is similar to yours was a much nicer beer in my opinion.

I reckon the results from AG brewing are definitely rewarding. There are a number of advantages to it over kits or extracts. It's cheaper, you have absolute freedom and control over what goes into your recipes and also the processes you use to influence the resultant beer, and the beers just taste fresher, to name a few.

Rocker1986 said:
Yeah I'm not sure the Cascade brewery one uses Cascade hops, it may do, but having tasted both beers they aren't the same. The recipe I brewed which is similar to yours was a much nicer beer in my opinion.

HOPE SO :)

I reckon the results from AG brewing are definitely rewarding. There are a number of advantages to it over kits or extracts. It's cheaper, you have absolute freedom and control over what goes into your recipes and also the processes you use to influence the resultant beer, and the beers just taste fresher, to name a few.
Im definitely not at the point of trying my own recipes however I like that theres more variety like liquid yeast.

Wish I didnt have to wait so long to try the beer :(

Really appreciate everyones help :)
Cheers

Well, you can use liquid yeast in any type of brewing, even a kit if you wanted to. The freedom with all grain is more to do with the malt and hop makeup of the recipes, and also the mashing techniques and schedules you can use to affect the fermentability of the wort itself. These freedoms aren't really available with extracts because you are relatively restricted by how the brewery mashed the grains to make the extract. Kits are the most restrictive, depending - you can turn a pale ale kit into a stout by adding dark grains etc. but you can't turn a stout kit into a pale ale.

Waiting to try new beers does suck, but it is easier if you have a stockpile built up as you can drink previous batches while you wait for the newer ones to be ready. :)

Yeah kunda what I was getting at with the liquid yeast over dry as comparison to AG over Full Extract, tho with all the points ypu make I see I made a bad comparison.
I have 2 batches bottles atm an IPA and dry oatmeal stout about a week away from being carbed I recon.
I have 2 golden ales (an extract equivalent I made up yo try match smurtos AG version, see "golden ale in kits and extracts" for what I did) one brewed with 1272 the other us05 (my first and only liquid yeast brew yet) they finished about 3 days ago so leaving to boytle next weekend.
Then I have an extract pilsner thats 3 days old and my first AG from yesterday.
So yeah im stockpiled up now however unfortunately none of them are still yet ready to drink

Ah, now I get you - there is more variety and choice with the liquid strains over dry ones. B)

:lol: Well at least there's a stockpile. When they are ready, you may not find it as difficult to wait for the newest batch to be ready. Most of the time I'm not too worried about trying the newest batch - except when I brew something I haven't brewed before, or tried a new process on a batch or something. It is a bit difficult to leave them alone then, because I want to know if it worked or not.

Back