So BIAB is a thing, making the transition from full extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah first brew I ever bottled. Also bottled a stout same day. Due to ease and not having a bottling bucket as I was using both FV I used carb drops.

Vini2ton said:
Carrying a full 50lt pot up stairs boiling, cool or cold is a bit of an issue especially after draining the bag hanging off your dick. Even superman might baulk at that.
Is that deck like the youtube NZ video not dick.

Bbowzky1 said:
Yeah first brew I ever bottled. Also bottled a stout same day. Due to ease and not having a bottling bucket as I was using both FV I used carb drops.
Fair enough then. :)

Back to the beer recipe, it looks very similar to the first BIAB I did, which was a recipe Craftbrewer gave me when I bought my equipment. The grain bill is a bit different, but other than that it's pretty much the same. It turned out a bloody lovely beer though so I reckon you are on a winner there! :D

Rocker1986 said:
Fair enough then. :)

Back to the beer recipe, it looks very similar to the first BIAB I did, which was a recipe Craftbrewer gave me when I bought my equipment. The grain bill is a bit different, but other than that it's pretty much the same. It turned out a bloody lovely beer though so I reckon you are on a winner there! :D
Haha yeah thats what I like to hear :)
Looking forward to brewing this ay

Strike temp looks low?
Especially for melb. weather. Im usually around 71-72 for strike but thats for 10kg of grain.

Troopa said:
Strike temp looks low?
Especially for melb. weather. Im usually around 71-72 for strike but thats for 10kg of grain.
Im just going off what little knowledge I have and what ive read.
I read for aprox 5kg of grain to strike at 2 odd degrees above mash temp.

Im happy to take suggestions. I wanna mash at 64c for 90min

Cheers

Aim for 65-66. Even if it drops down to 62 you'll be fine, though I reckon 1-2 seems about right ( on my keggle anyway )

You could aim for 68, though it's a little high for me personally, you'll still make fine beer mate. Check the temp every 30mins, and add heat if needed, just lift the bag. It is a s simple as it sounds mate :)

Bbowzky your probably more then right.
Im going off "my" system with more grain. again your system will be different. and your far better off striking in low to start out as its a hell of lot easy ramping the temp up 2-4 degrees then stirring a bloody big pot for 20 mins to try and get the temp back down :D

My sugestion would be to strike in at what it says, take a note of what the temp stabilises at and the ambient temp on the day.
That way you can adjust it next time.

Troopa said:
Bbowzky your probably more then right.
Im going off "my" system with more grain. again your system will be different. and your far better off striking in low to start out as its a hell of lot easy ramping the temp up 2-4 degrees then stirring a bloody big pot for 20 mins to try and get the temp back down :D

My sugestion would be to strike in at what it says, take a note of what the temp stabilises at and the ambient temp on the day.
That way you can adjust it next time.
If BIABacus said start with a volume of 50lt, could I say start with 45lt and have 5lt at say 70c in a separate pot. It my strike temp was to low I could add water to get it back up or something.
And im also not using a temp to hot as to hurt the grain or impart bad flavors?
Or again am I over complicating things?

MORNING GUYS. NEED SOME QUICK HELP!

Ok so ive started my cascade pale ale (my first AG and BIAB) so my sttike temp was about 67-68c. Id forgotten to take my grain outta the fridge sooner so the mash in temp stabilized at 63.
20min in and its down to almost 61c. It is wraped in clark rubber insulation foam and got 3 towls over the lid.
So the question is is it worth refiring the burner and bringing the temp up or introducung some boiling water to get the temp up or just leave it?
I really dont wanna rek my first batch.
Quick answers would be much appreciated cheers

Scoop out a couple of litres of grain/liquid mixture into a large saucepan and bring to the boil on a stove top or even the burner if it's a suitable size, then tip back into mash and stir well. This is known as decoction, traditional with European breweries and won't do the grain any harm at all.
Timing of the mash isn't crucial, you can let a mash go for several hours and no harm done so just bring it up gradually until you hit your preferred temp... 65 or whatever, then re-lag the pot.

In your case as you are starting from a low level, no worries. In fact it may even give you a very slightly more fermentable wort.

Awesome. I had a pizza base at the bottom so I suspended the bag just off that then re lit the burner. Brought it back to 65c. Was that the tight eay yo do it?

Bbowzkt1 how did you go?

I do have one question though.
Why was the grain in the fridge?

Nothing wrong with that but in software like Beersmith it can calc the strike temp of the grain temp. which would of been at your fridge temp.

Unless you have a rodent infestation(it happens) Or you have cracked grain maybe, I personally wouldnt refrigerate the grain.

Sounds like you handled it fine though.

As stated earlier.. Every ones system is different and your better off just doing it, make the mistakes and adjust as you go.

Bbowzky1 said:
Awesome. I had a pizza base at the bottom so I suspended the bag just off that then re lit the burner. Brought it back to 65c. Was that the tight eay yo do it?
Know you know how a step mash will work on your setup :)

Back