Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Camo6 said:
If you're hard pressed to find a root in Ringwood then you're doing something wrong Shaunous. Just make sure it's you that comes in packaging...
SEX PACKAGE!!!

barls said:
its awesome plum is. I've been using it and peach for a while.
ill be using guava later today on a turkey roast.
I missed that post yesterday. I'd be interested in a report on the guava wood. I've never used it before and I'm about to have plenty. Thanks.

These unusual wood types all sound great. Users are hereby ordered to leave feedback here asap.

I have a Macadamia tree at work which is currently unaware I have my eye on it's 'superfluous' lower branches...

Will do planning a run this weekend with guava and red gum

Danwood said:
I have a Macadamia tree at work which is currently unaware I have my eye on it's 'superfluous' lower branches...
hmmm, there are orchards out the back of the Sunny Coast, I too want to know more about this :D
Pinching apples are for kids, stealing full branches is where it's at :ph34r: hahaha, nah just kidding, I'll go and ask like any normal person would. Chuck a couple of the finest bottles in the esky and offer as a trade :beer:

I smoked with some plum wood for the first time the night before last. Have previously smoked with hickory or cherry... the plum was much... frutier.

fCJ3L75.jpg

b94bdn4.jpg

The old man has a couple of plum and apple trees that are in need of a good prune. If I was to get hold of some branches what thickness should they be and do they need to be dried for a while before use? Haven't got a smoker atm but wouldn't mind one down the track.

Camo6 said:
The old man has a couple of plum and apple trees that are in need of a good prune. If I was to get hold of some branches what thickness should they be and do they need to be dried for a while before use? Haven't got a smoker atm but wouldn't mind one down the track.
I cut down 2 apple trees as it's too warm here and the parrots eat them all anyway. I've kept pretty well all of them, the little branches are good for quick smoking sausages and the like and the bigger stuff can get chopped into chunks for longer smoking. Allow around 6-12 months for the timber to dry well.Thinking of doing a leg of ham for xmas smoked with some apple chunks.

Some fig branches wot fell off a tree at work...

I'll split them length ways and dry them out for a while. Just the job for smoked pig, I reckon.

20141205_103830.jpg

Recommendations for books on smoking please, blokes.

I need to put something on my Secret Santa list...I'm getting hassled.

Cheers (preferably free P&P...Book Depository or somesuch)

barls said:
smoking some sausages with guava and apple chips atm.
I have been clearing guava trees on my place the last week, they become a pest here. Anyway I have shiploads of guava wood.
Any of you guys have a recipe for ribs using a Weber? I'll like to do some for Xmas.
Oh and any of you guys local that want some guava, plenty here, help yourself.

Batz

Just recently they cut a few Pecan trees down at the local Primary School......

I was pissed that I missed out on getting some of the wood.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Just recently they cut a few Pecan trees down at the local Primary School......

I was pissed that I missed out on getting some of the wood.
I have several Pecans as well.

its a very light smoke wood.
go the 3-2-1 recipe ill post a link here in a second

Danwood said:
Recommendations for books on smoking please, blokes.
I need to put something on my Secret Santa list...I'm getting hassled.
Cheers (preferably free P&P...Book Depository or somesuch)
*Bump for the evening crowd*

Hey guys,
Since I have a go at everything else smoking was the next thing to try. I've built a smoker using untreated timber and am using a dual hot plate 2400w. I'm using a Rex pid to try and control the temps but I seem to get about 5c fluctuation. Is this OK for smoking. I bypassed the thermostat as I could only get to 60c. Now I can get over 100c easily. The probe is mounted Centre rear. What I wanted to know is how do the shop bought ones work for temp control. Should I upgrade to an auberins or sestos. Will they control better or shouls i build a voltage reg thing that can control the elements via a dial.
cheers for any help
macca

Latest posts

Back