Smoked Meat - Roasted Malts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoloop

Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I'm about to put a beer-can chicken on the bbq with some smoking chips. It just occurred to me - adding a little roasted malts (i.e. dark crystal) might add some interesting flavours. Has anyone done anything similar? Will I be wasting good malt?

I've certainly heard of mixing sugars with smoking chips, or soaking them in sugary solutions like molasses etc. Maybe you could steep the malts and soak the chips in the wort??

I'd think a light hand would be appropriate - burned sugar doesn't smell so great!!

No experience though, just speculating.

I might try using malt extract in place of honey or sugar next time I cure a bit of bacon.

Small handful of crystal provided no noticeable effect... That said, I soaked the chips too long, so lost out on smokey flavour too... The grain is still in the chips for next time so we'll see how she goes among bone dry woodchips...

i found that actually building a dedicated smoker works better for smoking grain. i use a 18L pot that ive converted. the last smoke beer i made is going in the nsw xmas swap. its ccing as we speak awaiting bottling upon my return.

Back