Smelly cider, can it be fixed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucker4

Reaction score
Put a pear and strawberry cider kit down wed week ago and it began smelling after about 5 days. Have changed fermenters 3 times and finally kegged this morning at 6am. Didn't smell as bad as it had but wondering if anyone has had the same experience and the end result tastes ok?

Sulphur/rotten egg?
Add some nutrient. It should dissipate with time.

+1 on more information. What's smelly smell like? Changing fermenters 3 times may have introduced a bit of oxidation if it had finished fermenting.

I had exactly the same problem a month back, almost everyone told me to use yeast nutrient, which I'm planning to trial next time.

FYI even though mine definitely smelt very bad for about a week, after leaving it in the bottles for around 4 weeks the smell dissipated and the resulting cider was actually pretty good.

There's a good yeast nutrient for winemakers that I use for cider, Vintner's Harvest. it's a bit more complex than just using Diammonium phosphate:

yeast nutrient.jpg

Thanks for the feedback ! Gassed it for 36 hours and purged a few times during the process and majority of the bad Sulphur/Rotten egg smell went. It was ready in the nick of time for my mates 30th and poured after the 36hrs of gassing at 40psi. Kegs nearly empty along with 6 other empty beer kegs so went off alright! Couldn't taste the smell.

Will try that nutrient next time tho! Thanks again

Sounds like you got ya self a good ol' fashioned yeast infection?
You know your Mrs can suffer the same itch?

Back