Smash Maris Otter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couchbrew

Reaction score
Any need for a step mash or anything fancy to get a full flavour from a smash? I haven't done one yet but keen to try and see how simple I can make things. Northern brewer hops is the plan for hops

Depends on your gravity, but I'd go into the 50's or even 60's as your target SG.

Good malt, should only need a 65-67 rest for an hour and 71-72 for 15min,then mash out.

Have you used Northern Brewer before?

I put some in an English mild with Columbus but it just got bottled a week ago

Couchbrew said:
I put some in an English mild with Columbus but it just got bottled a week ago
It's alright, but gives a real tea flavour which can clash with some English yeast esters and some caramel malts. Great in a California common, and with Columbus it should be good.

What sort of yeast are you going to use? I highly recommend a good English strain or California Common rather than US-05 and similar American strains - which will not lift the character of the malt, but not sure that Northern Brewer is a good match for the English strains.

I only have access to dry yeast. I have a choice of Morgan's English ale or safale04. I'm choosing NV based solely on the smell of the pellets now;) Really pungent. I was thinking of 40g bittering and 30g Whirlpool or cube

The hopping is probably ok, though you'll get some woodiness coming through soon not sure where that puts your IBUs.

I would pick S04 and mash for 1.5hrs at 63-64 or so, then 10min at 71-72 and then mash out.

Ferment at probably 16°C for a few days, then let it rise up to 20-22°C.

Latest posts

Back