Smash Amarillo Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteoz77

Reaction score
I am gonna try my hand at a SMaSH Recipe in the morning.

Just wondering if anyone has a Maris Otter/Amarillo recipe that's nice?

Hey James,

I do all my SMASHs normally with US-05 and about 5 kilos of grain, depending on your equipment efficiency you can adjust.

The hopping depends on how much you like your hop but I tend to bitter, aroma and flavour or at least try with every brew, even POR and that turned out great.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

P.S. I'm still backed up with hive building but I want to get back to brewing so if you got any amarillo left :p then I'll have to invite you over :)

SMaSH is in the mash tun and settling in. 68.8C 11KG of Maris Otter. Doing a 60, 15 and Flamout addition of Amarillo.

Let's see how it turns out...

SMaSH is in the mash tun and settling in. 68.8C 11KG of Maris Otter. Doing a 60, 15 and Flamout addition of Amarillo.

Let's see how it turns out...

how many IBUs? will be interesting to see if the maris otter blankets the hops and lowers the perceived bitterness at all (i often go half maris half pils for APAs for this reason).

how many IBUs? will be interesting to see if the maris otter blankets the hops and lowers the perceived bitterness at all (i often go half maris half pils for APAs for this reason).

I pretty much use Maris Otter in everything I make.. Usually with a few kilos of Vienna, or Munich, and a bit of specialty malts as well. I really wanted to try the Single Malt and Single Hop recipe tho.. so we'll see how it goes.

The IBU's should be around 46

Gonna back this down to about 9KG of malt next time... it's going to be at least 6.5% alcohol...

I pretty much use Maris Otter in everything I make.. Usually with a few kilos of Vienna, or Munich, and a bit of specialty malts as well. I really wanted to try the Single Malt and Single Hop recipe tho.. so we'll see how it goes.

Gonna back this down to about 9KG of malt next time... it's going to be at least 6.5% alcohol...
Hardly the sort of beer you would make if you are trying to evaluate a new hop variety?
Maybe next time try about 1.045-1.050 OG and around 35IBU

looking at doing my first double batch soon and SMASH sounds like a good idea (for the simplicity)... let us know how it turns out... i was considering 100% pils or Maris Otter and Nelson up to about 30IBU, but could easily be convinced to use amarillo

Back