Small batch BIAB questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chookers

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have still not done any grain brews.. but I am very interested in trying BIAB. I have quite a few questions before I get started.

My limited equipment:

• 15L Stock Pot (I may also have a 8 or 10ltr pot I haven't measured it)
  • 15L fermenter
  • a long handled stirrer
  • coffee grinder.. (never used)
  • 24 long necks and some crown seals

I only want to make about 10-12Ltr of beer, been looking at the Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale recipe, as I actually have some NS hop flowers in the freezer. I also have some BSAAZ flowers in the freezer.

as far as I have read, when you do BIAB, you add the total water volume at the beginning, but that would be more than my pots capacity. I have calculated for a half recipe that the total water would be 19.95Ltr. S any advice on how to go about this.

I have forgotten the rest of my questions..

If these questions have all been answered to death already (my apologies)

Oh, yes the idea of Swiss voile or whatever VS BIAB bag ready made, do I have to do anything to the voile if I buy it, like should I boil it first or put it in the dish washer, I don't want any chemicals leeching out.

Any advice anyone has would be great, and very welcome

Thank you in advance..

You can make that work easily. You will be mashing with about 3kg of grain so just add 10L of water to that to mash, or whatever fits in your pot. Once the mash is finished, top up with water to achieve your preboil volume.

I reckon just buy a bag. They don't cost much and one less thing to worry about when learning is good in my book. They last ages. I got a good one from craft Brewer in brissie. Also, don't worry about pushing too hard for the volume - the fermenter doesn't have to be full, a bit of head space can. E a blessing with a vigorous fermentation. Have fun!

Easy enough to make a circle of Swiss voile, diameter needs to be the diameter of your pot plus at least 1.5 times the depth of the pot. Once cut, just carefully run a flame around the edge to seal the fibres - maybe try with an off it first as its easy to burn a hole.

Or buy a bag

As danestead said, you should easily be able to get your desired volumes from that pot. BIAB doesn't have to be full volume, it's just a little more to think about and you may need to add a sparge to get decent efficiency.

excellent (does Mr Burns fingers)

I'm getting excited now, it actually seems feasible that I could be drinking my first AG at this Christmas's BBQ

Thanks Guys

Cheers

how would you go about hops in this sized batch. I have Nelson sauvin flower and BSAAZ, I wanted to make a light, fruity, refreshing beer, not too bitter, because I want it to suit a broad spectrum of people.

How much grams and what times should I add, I have never used pellets or flowers but I have notice most recipes call for pellets, will this alter the weight used if I use flowers?

I hope what I'm writing is making sense, cos its flowing straight from my head on to the screen..heehee

I have been taking the SG over the last 3 days and it has stayed steady at 1020 from 1054. I used the Brewers Friend calculator and it gave me 4.46% alc, does this sound right to everyone..

Whats the next step? should I put the whole fermenter in the fridge? or bottle it? I am just really unsure of what to do next.

I will be bulk priming and bottle carbing, eventually.. I have only ever made can kits, this was my first attempt at AG, and I did a small BIAB batch.

Its not very clear, any suggestions on how to clear it up a bit.

Beer2.JPG

Beer1.JPG

I add some gelatin. Google how to do that. Basically a teaspoon in a cup of water. Microwave in short bursts until it's 60C. Add this to the fermenter and put the fermenter in the fridge.

Leave for 2 days minimum.

Bottle from there.

Forgot to mention. 1.020 seems a bit high. What temp did you mash at?

Not 100% sure but I think Miltons is a chlorine based steriliser which I don't think would be good to use. Yeasts can turn chlorine into some funky tasting compounds you don't want in your beer.

I never used to sanitise the crown seals. As long as they are kept clean after opening they should be fine. I don't think it would hurt to sanitise them though if you wanted peace of mind.

I am thinking I mashed too high, and I have now got unfermentable sugars in there.. I am not experienced but I have been reading up on mashing.. but I have tasted it, I think it tastes nice, and just like flat beer.. I just don't want to end up with bombs.. Im worried about bottling.. Im just about to take the SG again, and then will be transferring it to another pot to mix in the gelatine.. should I stir it through. Then leave in fridge for two days. Then bulk prime and bottle.

With the Milton, if I was to use it.. and let it dry out in the oven or just dry out completely wouldn't that get rid of any residual chlorine elements.. do they just evaporate.

or

rinse out with some boiled water?

If you're worried about the f.g. perform a fast ferment test (google it).

No need to stir the gelatin.

If you've searched for how to use Miltons in brewing and haven't found anything then there's probably a good reason for that. Maybe you can use it. I don't know. But there's better, easier ways to get the job done. You need to get some no rinse sanitiser like starsan. Tried and tested. Might cost a bit for a bottle but you use **** all so it lasts for ages.

Thanks for that link, Barge.. all righty then.. the Milton does sound a bit off putting.

I'll have to get some, I had a big bag of it and a bottle of bleach leaked into it and ruined the whole bag, was about 1kg, and I had used **** all as you said.

What about this method, wash bottles in soapy water and rinse, then boil in pots of water, use water to make another brew?? water would be clean as the bottles were washed well before being put in the pan.

I have also heard of people using vodka to sterilise with.. what do they do wipe out equipment with it.. lol they wouldn't have 11Ltr of vodka..

Just about to bottle this thing, I have had it in the fridge for two days with the gelatine solution suggested, its cleared a little bit. I just checked the S.G and even at the lower temp from the fridge my hydrometer is still reading 1020.. is this weird? I thought there was supposed to be a difference with temps? or is my hydrometer broken/faulty.

Tastes okay, perhaps a bit sweet but I have let others taste it and asked their opinion and no-one has said its sweet, so it might be just me looking for it.

I came out with around 10.7L of beer am bulk priming with 100g of Dex cooked up in 600ml of water.. is this okay? I got this measurement from the bulk priming calculator on this site.. I got 12 glass long necks 650ml and 6 PET bottles.

***bottling sucks**** anyone got a good method.. because my method makes me want to bang my head on the floor.

Kegs...kegs...kegs
That's best option IMO-in saying that, I normally ferment 20l or21l batches and use bottles for excess litre or 2nd
Thanks, Rob.

yes, I would love kegs, but I have not the space or money for kegs :(

hence my BIAB and 15L fermenter... well I am at the start of my homebrewing even though I have been haunting these forums for years and years.. I've done a few meads and a pyment I made from grape/wine concentrate and unhoped malt extract, which tastes like port.. not too bad

Best of luck with BIAB-will be my next step in not too distant future (after xmas).Have been in the same boat-money not abundant for kegs but finally starting to get setup.One way of looking at it is ya don't have to get gas,taps,fridge,etc-just bottle + chill when ready to serve-you'll get there in time.
Thanks,Rob.

Thanks Lager Bloke.

yeh, there are benefits to bottling, I would encourage the use of PET bottles though. I used glass today and knocked one over it was a stubbie, but I still cut my finger on that *******...

but if you are gonna go for glass (which would be good for the Barley Wine Im planning) I would say definitely invest in a bench capper... Im still using the hand capper the one you hammer on.. I am going to get a bench capper, that hand one is scary.

Latest posts

Back