Small Batch Barley Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phinnsfotos

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying my hand at a small batch barley wine for Christmas. Something around 10-12 litres, and a good strong, malty beer. Something you'd sip from a wine glass ;)

So I'm wondering if a kits a bits is allowed for barley wines:

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Real Ale
1 x 1.5kg Coopers Light Liquid Malt
250gm CaraMunich III
4gms Cascade @ 30mins
4gms Cascade @ 20 mins
4gms Cascade @ 10 mins

Fill to 10 litres and US05 yeast. Probably make a bit of a starter.

OG: 1.103 (hopeful) FG: 1.026
10.4% ABV
83 IBU
40 EBC

On the right track? Or is it blasphemous to use a hopped tin to make a barley wine?

Cheers,
Finn.

83 IBU??

Just doesn't look like you'd get that much from those cascade additions??

I guess there's IBUs in the kits already right?

Kev

might be good for christmas in July

83 IBU??

Just doesn't look like you'd get that much from those cascade additions??
Check out the batch size.

Personally I'd be adding a lot more hops. My gut is also telling you might be better making it a slightly bigger batch and adding some sugar/dex to dry it out a little. I reckon (gut again) that hitting 1.026FG may be a tad difficult.

3.2kg of malt extract in 10L is going to end with one hell of a syrupy beer, and I'm willing to bet you'll stress the yeast. If your serious about this I'd use a yeast thats more suited to higher alcohol brewing and maybe switch to the kit, 500g of dry malt and a bit of dextrose?

Then again a barley wine is hard enough to make if your into AG, I just dont hold the highest hopes for one made from a kit, but report back and let us know how it goes!! Oh and dont skimp on conditioning time!!

Hmmmm, not getting many votes of confidence, on this one. Maybe I'll try a full extract.

Latest posts

Back