Coopers Battleship Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
So Coopers recipe of the month this month is an ESB based on Adnams Broadside, which I do like. Rather than buy the Coopers kit, I'm going to think about making this into an all grain brew of my own at some point in the next month or so.

The recipe looks like:

---

1 x 1.7kg English Bitter
3 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
1 x 25g East Kent Golding (EKG) Hop Pellets
1 x 25g Centennial Hop Pellets
1 x Lallemand Nottingham Yeast Sachet
1 x 250g Coopers Carbonation Drops

In a good sized pot (around 8 litres) bring 500g of Light Dry Malt to the boil in 5 litres of water.
Add the EKG Hop Pellets and boil for 5min.
Then add the Centennial Hop Pellets, remove the pot from the heat, cover and steep for 10mins.

---

So would I be right in thinking it's essentially boiling the EKG for 15 minutes and the Centennial for 10? I realise they knock the heat off after 5 minutes of boil.

For the grain, I would be thinking something along these lines for the grains - this is half what I've been reading lately about malts and half a stab in the dark):

90%ish Maris Otter pale malt
6%ish A dark-ish crystal malt (60/80?)
4% Barley or wheat for head retention/body

How would that be for a start?

Not entirely sure about the hop schedule though.

Centennial for 60 minutes - perhaps 25-30g (based on 23L batch)
EKG later on - 30 minutes/15 minutes?

Am I miles off the mark?

Cheers!

Clearly 'based on' means something different to the compiler of the Coopers ROTM that it does to me.

Broadside is pale ale malt, chocolate and black with first gold hops as a bittering addition. The cask version at 4.7% ABV increases the proportion if pale malt and is also late hopped with first gold. Bottled version at 6.3% ABV has more chocolate and a bit more black and only the bittering hops. Both are mashed on the high side (I'd guess 68)

Fermented with a proprietary yeast blend which is not easily available to us. A good, fruity strain like the Fullers strain should work well though

Back