Sly Fox Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure why people keep looking at a software predicted FG. There are far too many different variables to predict it accurately. I would ignore it all together.

danestead said:
I'm not sure why people keep looking at a software predicted FG. There are far too many different variables to predict it accurately. I would ignore it all together.
How do you accurately predict fg?

calobes said:
How do you accurately predict fg?
You dont! You take a stab in the dark based on previous brews. So many different things affect you FG. Mash temps, grain bill, fermentable and unfermentable sugars used, yeast strain, infection etc etc

Eh, not sure about this one. Its not tasting fantastic out of the fermenter, feel like I stuffed something up but cant think of what it would be. Brew day went well, ferment temps constant.

Haven't dry hopped yet, will be transfering to secondary and dry hopping tomorrow. Will post again in a week after tasting it dry hopped.

calobes said:
Eh, not sure about this one. Its not tasting fantastic out of the fermenter, feel like I stuffed something up but cant think of what it would be. Brew day went well, ferment temps constant.
Haven't dry hopped yet, will be transfering to secondary and dry hopping tomorrow. Will post again in a week after tasting it dry hopped.
Tastes infected?

danestead said:
Tastes infected?
Not sure, never had an infection. Almost medicine like, hard to explain. Not like beer thats all I can say.

I'll still keg it regardless and see if it improves over a few weeks. Dry hopped it today, so I'll leave it 4-5 more days in the fermenter

I've had beers before that i was sure were infected at bottling time but turned out great, usually beers with lots of late hops actually I'd definitely keg it and see

Kegged this today, might have let it dry hop a day or two longer than I planned but im not worried cause it smells awesome.

Hit my OG and FG right on the money, happy with that.

The off taste I was detecting eailer seems to have subsided a bit, or maybe the dry hopping is just masking it??

Either way its in the fridge so I will report back in a week or two.

Sorry I haven't updated this in so long, work is unbelievably busy for me this time of year.

So I gave it about 2 months and it still had a gross aftertaste, BUT another brew that I had in the same fermenter had the same aftertaste too. Completely different recipe, same aftertaste. And like the sly fox clone, it tasted really good until the aftertaste hit. So I'm putting it down to something being funky with that fermenter as I'm still getting good brews out of my other fermenters.

So I think this would be a good recipe, so I'm going to give it another crack in a different fermenter.

Sly Fox is a great lighter ale when you dont want something heavy. Diggin' it right now. Planning to try and make something similar next brew. At the moment my recipe is basically a 30ish IBU version of my Hop Hog attempt. I'll have another taste of Sly Fox before making this... but this will taste and smell pretty great regardless.

1.5kg Light LME
1.5kg Wheat LME
500g DME
200G Medium Crystal

23L
IBU 31

15 minute boil / 6L

15g Citra 15 Mins
15g Galaxy 15 Mins
15g Chinook 15 Mins

15g Citra DRY HOPPED
15g Galaxy DRY HOPPED