Slowbeer Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to bring up an old thread - but just bought a 6 pack of mixed Mikkeller Single Hop IPA's from slowbeer. The idea being to find out what Hops I prefer so I can use them in my home brewing endeavours.
Well, it wasn't a cheap exercise - about $10 ea. and I learnt nothing.

I could not really taste much difference beteen any of the beers - maybe the Amarillo one was a bit different but other than that I certainly could not tell the difference.

Maybe 35 years of drinking VB has deleted my tastebuds ??

I am keen to try the Rochfort Trappist - but if it just tastes all the same then I will be a bit pissed off.

Any suggestions on a nice beer I can buy that isn't too strong and hoppy - that I can then try to copy with my homebrewing ??

thanks
Sandy

I had the full range at the Wheaty (a few on tap the rest in bottles) and its not hard to taste the difference so i suspect you haven't had much experience drinking hop driven beers? Maybe start with subtle hopping like Fat Yak, James Squire et al.

I've commented on these before but - tomahawk rocked, amarillo was very disappointing and i thought EKG showed just how good a UK hop can be in an IPA heavy on the late hops. Thankfully i was driving that night so only had snifters of each, the rest of the crew got messy fast!

EDIT - just checked and the Wheaty has 2 of them back on tap, the tomahawk and amarillo as well as meantime IPA :wub:

ok. - some good advice here - here's the cunning plan for the weekend (too cold to do anything else)

Bridge Rd Brewers Beechworth Pale Ale (330ml)
Goodieson Pale Ale (330ml)
Hargreaves Hill Hefeweizen (single) (interested in brewinga Hefeweizen)
Hawthorn Brewing Pale Ale (330ml)
Kooinda Pale Ale (single)
Little Creatures Pale Ale (single)
Red Duck Pale Ale (single)
and
St Bernardus Tripel (single)
Chimay Blue 330ml (single bottle)
Chimay Red 330ml (single bottle)
Chimay White (single bottle)

Will definitely leave me a bit poorer but hey, you only live once and even if I don't like some of the beers, I'll certainly enjoy the process !!!

Anything I am missing ?? The idea is to try to work out a good hop or good beer to make in the future.

Sandy
I would ditch a couple of the pale ales. sub in a Knappstein Reserve Lager (distinct Nelson Sauvin hop),

drop the chimay red (and maybe the white). - go a Unibroue Trois Pistoles (near pitch black, big rich malty Belgian-style in the mould of Rochefort or Chimay, but its well-attenuated, yet creamy, with a combination of stewed plum Belgian esters with ripe and citrus fruitiness that seems more hop derived). great beer

red duck pale is nice but nothing special. ditch it sub another beer. maybe a fatyak for that american style pale ale.

get an english bitter or something. a timothy taylor landlord or something. and/or a holgate ESB which has a good challanger hop flavour.

edit: if you feel up to it, you could trawl the 88 pages of the 'whats in the glass - commercial" thread which has a lot of reviews on commercial beers. you might find something you like the sound of

Thanks C Morgue2,

New list is as follows (88 pages is a bit much at the moment)

Bridge Rd Brewers Beechworth Pale Ale (330ml)
Goodieson Pale Ale (330ml)
Hargreaves Hill Hefeweizen (single) (interested in brewinga Hefeweizen)
Kooinda Pale Ale (single)

and
St Bernardus Tripel (single)
Chimay Blue 330ml (single bottle)
Chimay White (single bottle)

and

Knappstein 'Reserve' Lager (single)
Unibroue Trois Pistoles (355ml)
Tim Taylor Landlord (single bottle)
Holgate ESB (single)
Matilda Bay Fat Yak (single)

Starting to get a bit excited. Will post my tasting notes here - but don't expect too much as I'm not much of an expert.

The Kooi is looking pretty lonely in the top section but.

Well, Eventually got through all 12 - and I've added my opinions below - but remember these are just MY OPINIONS - I like Anchovies on my Pizza's, don't like Mushrooms - so we are all different.

Bridge Rd Brewers Beechworth Pale Ale (330ml) - 5/10 not to my taste - Hops too strong
Goodieson Pale Ale (330ml) - 5/10 not to my taste - Hops too strong
Hargreaves Hill Hefeweizen (single) (interested in brewinga Hefeweizen) - 7.5/10, liked this, nice and smooth - different to the Pale Ales which I have worked out I don't like
Kooinda Pale Ale (single) -6/10 not really to my taste, but best of the Pale Ales.

and
St Bernardus Tripel (single) 7/10 - strong, quite good but a bit like homebrew
Chimay Blue 330ml (single bottle) - out of stock
Chimay White (single bottle) - 6/10, fairly plain but just o.k.

and

Knappstein 'Reserve' Lager (single) -6/10 o.k., nothing special
Unibroue Trois Pistoles (355ml) - 8.5/10 , really liked this one, at last a beer I liked. Strong flavours but nice - a bit Stouty like , but not as strong.
Tim Taylor Landlord (single bottle) - out of stock
Holgate ESB (single) - 2/10 Yuk, really bitter and horrible
Matilda Bay Fat Yak (single) - Out of Stock

plus
Trappist Rochforte 8 - 6/10, interesting, fairly strong flavours, tried to like this as I realise it is "special" but only o.k. to me
Stome & Wood Draught Ale - 9.5/10, my absolute favourite - dried Pear+PineApple Flavour, even SHMBO liked this one.

So in summary, I am going to try and brew a Unibroue Trois Pistoles and a Stone and Wood Draight Ale. I suppose 3 out of 13 is not bad. Hopefully I can replicate them - I have already serched this Forum for some Clones of the Trois Pistoles and the Stone & Wood so will be on my way soon.

Sandy

You don't need to be an expert. Everyone's taste varies ... and no two beers from different batches ever taste exactly the same, either, so don't worry if your opinion doesn't match another's.

Nice list! :)

Stone & Wood Draught Ale - 9.5/10, my absolute favourite - dried Pear+PineApple Flavour, even SHMBO liked this one.

So in summary, I am going to try and brew a Unibroue Trois Pistoles and a Stone and Wood Draight Ale. I suppose 3 out of 13 is not bad. Hopefully I can replicate them - I have already serched this Forum for some Clones of the Trois Pistoles and the Stone & Wood so will be on my way soon.

Sandy

...G'Day Sandy, glad you like our Draught Ale mate, if you're ever in Byron Bay drop 'round and say g'day, i'll show you around and you can try the draught ale straight from the tank...you'll have to bring your clone for us to try though !!....good to see another convert , getting out of their comfort zone....stick at it mate, you will be rewarded...give it 6 or 12 months and re try some of the beers you didn't like....you may be surprised..!!

Cheers,
Scott
S&W

Stone & Wood Draught is a great session starter! Glad they keep it on tap at the Pig & Whistle on Queen Street here in Brisbane.

Appears that Slowbeer are doing tasting box's now, sort of like what Beermasons do, but you can choose when it gets delivered and what styles, & how much you want to spend. Can only be a good thing

Appears that Slowbeer are doing tasting box's now, sort of like what Beermasons do, but you can choose when it gets delivered and what styles, & how much you want to spend. Can only be a good thing
Depends how your see the world, I guess. I've stopped asking him for recommendations because they usually end up being stuff he wants to shift rather than anything like what I've actually asked for.

Good shop and I continue to spend my money there.

Mmmm, I don't normally shop there, but I guess if they're trying this sort of thing out then It'd be in their best interest to not do this, obviously

Depends how your see the world, I guess. I've stopped asking him for recommendations because they usually end up being stuff he wants to shift rather than anything like what I've actually asked for.

Good shop and I continue to spend my money there.

Long time lurker, first time poster & it seemed appropriate i guess. We've been doing those mixed boxes for a while now & the response has been great. Just gives those who struggle for choice a chance to try some interesting stuff, albeit safer given we follow their guidelines (likes/dislikes).

Apologies if i haven't recommended to you're liking in the past but i assure you i don't "push" slow selling beers just to move them. More often than not i recommend beers that i personally really like, funnily enough our top sellers are some of my fav brews (emersons pils, feral hop hog, worthington white shield, tripel karmelite...the list goes on) but i always try to listen to the customer & base suggestions around that.

Anyway, thanks for your support & hopefully i can recommend more to you're liking in future. Keep up the good work guys, had some early issues with growlers when i was setting it up & managed to get some great advice here.

Cheers! :)

Apologies if i haven't recommended to you're liking in the past
I'd like to repeat (for those who haven't been before) that I do continue to shop there and always spend more than I intend to when I do go. Fantastic selection and competitive pricing. Also good knowledge behind the jump. I have sent friends there and will continue to do so.

My specific complaint is that one time too many I've had a recommendation gush. The handling seems pretty good at your store (probably my lowest dud strike rate of any Melbourne supplier) so I've come to my own conclusions. Not saying these beers wouldn't have been what I asked for had the been in good nick but they were simply in poor condition. I hope this clarifies my position.

Keep up the good work.

I'd like to repeat (for those who haven't been before) that I do continue to shop there and always spend more than I intend to when I do go. Fantastic selection and competitive pricing. Also good knowledge behind the jump. I have sent friends there and will continue to do so.

My specific complaint is that one time too many I've had a recommendation gush. The handling seems pretty good at your store (probably my lowest dud strike rate of any Melbourne supplier) so I've come to my own conclusions. Not saying these beers wouldn't have been what I asked for had the been in good nick but they were simply in poor condition. I hope this clarifies my position.

Keep up the good work.

Ah i see, valid point & like i said thanks for the support. Its something that unfortunately does tend to happen from time to time (as you have experienced) & i've tried to cut back bulk ordering for the sake of having fresher stock on the shelves. Obviously this means we tend to run out of said lines more frequently, so it can be a bit of a balancing act but ultimately fresher beer is (hopefully) the better outcome.

Thanks

Just got given a $50 gift voucher for Slowbeer. So look out I'm coming in! :kooi:

Still haven't got to this shop as it's on a different train line - but this will give me a great excuse to check out the wares!

Hopper.

how do the growlers work? do you just use a standard beer keg tap or some sort of special filler?

D.J - i think chris @ slowbeer has a blichmann beer gun for growlers. have only heard good reports latley. biggup slowbeer!

Latest posts

Back