Slowbeer Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been bought up before. Did a quick search and couldn't find anything. New bottle shop opened up in Hawthorn last month. Might be worth checking out for those hard to find beers.
Slowbeer

Sorry if this has been bought up before. Did a quick search and couldn't find anything. New bottle shop opened up in Hawthorn last month. Might be worth checking out for those hard to find beers.
Slowbeer

It's the beer only shop that's sort of part of Cloudwine and it's awesome. Thankfully they are very well priced as you could easily spend a lot of money there.

It's the beer only shop that's sort of part of Cloudwine and it's awesome. Thankfully they are very well priced as you could easily spend a lot of money there.

Oh no, now I have to work my way through the list from Arctic Fox through to Wicked Elf.
Although I might have trouble getting past the White Rabbit dark ale - quite like that one :chug:

Slowbeer is a great business. Dealing with Chris has always been a pleasure and their range and prices can't be beat for an Australian retailer. The only thing stopping me using them more is the fact that I have to pay freight.

i've been and dropped a heap of cash... i spent the first 5 minutes walking around and thinking.... 'this is not good for me...' great beer selection and good prices.

found the "mikkeller geek breakfast" there, brought it and thought it was amazing stuff

jimmy

63 Burwood Rd.

Will be checking it out this weekend :icon_cheers:
Have ordered a couple of times from them and Chris is very easy to deal with :D .

TDA will be the bloke walking down Glenferrie Rd. with a clunking Gladstone bag. :icon_drunk:

Warren -

Holy crap.

And I thought living close to Purvis Cellars was tough going in terms self control. Now you blokes have pointed me in the direction of this one and it's even closer to me! There goes the bank balance! :rolleyes:

Hopper.

Sorry to bring up an old thread - but just bought a 6 pack of mixed Mikkeller Single Hop IPA's from slowbeer. The idea being to find out what Hops I prefer so I can use them in my home brewing endeavours.
Well, it wasn't a cheap exercise - about $10 ea. and I learnt nothing.

I could not really taste much difference beteen any of the beers - maybe the Amarillo one was a bit different but other than that I certainly could not tell the difference.

Maybe 35 years of drinking VB has deleted my tastebuds ??

I am keen to try the Rochfort Trappist - but if it just tastes all the same then I will be a bit pissed off.

Any suggestions on a nice beer I can buy that isn't too strong and hoppy - that I can then try to copy with my homebrewing ??

thanks
Sandy

Sorry to bring up an old thread - but just bought a 6 pack of mixed Mikkeller Single Hop IPA's from slowbeer. The idea being to find out what Hops I prefer so I can use them in my home brewing endeavours.

I could not really taste much difference beteen any of the beers - maybe the Amarillo one was a bit different but other than that I certainly could not tell the difference.

I am keen to try the Rochfort Trappist - but if it just tastes all the same then I will be a bit pissed off.

Any suggestions on a nice beer I can buy that isn't too strong and hoppy - that I can then try to copy with my homebrewing ??

thanks
Sandy

Trying to pinpoint differences in hop varieties, especially fairly similar ones such as american hops, is pretty tough - especially if you aren't very used to drinking hop-heavy styles. I'd say try some belgians. They were what got me really interested in good beer, along with american pales.

Rochefort 10 is amazing, but very big. Maybe try St Bernardus Tripel, or one of the Chimay offerings first?

thanks
Sandy
you've also picked beers that may not have a lot of flavouring hop additions. bitterness and flavour are differant. IPAs are very bitter but dont always have a lot of flavouring additions. complex grains bills can also mask true flavours of hops.

if you go commercial examples your better of finding beers that only have 1 hop type and arent so complex.
rochfort trappist is such a differant beer and doesnt have a hop profile as such. you wouldnt be able to pick the hops used in that unless you actually learned what the beer ingrediants were or knew the style.

what you really need is single malt and single hop beers (SMaSH). but i dont know of any commercial examples.

what you really need is single malt and single hop beers (SMaSH). but i dont know of any commercial examples.

The mikkeller range is pretty much a smash. Well, atleast they all have the same grain bill and ABV @ 6.9% :blink:

given the ABV id say the IBU would be pushing 70, hence the lack of differentiation noted by the OP'er

"Maybe try St Bernardus Tripel, or one of the Chimay offerings first? "

thanks, will do.

"your better of finding beers that only have 1 hop type "

that is why I bought the Mikkeller - it stated Single Hop in big letters on it !

"the ABV id say the IBU would be pushing 70, "

oh shite - I prefer around 30-35 in my homebrews so this could be a problem.

Plus those beers have been kicking around for a bit now haven't they? If the hops had started to fade (I'm assuming these beers are APA-ish in style) then they would start to get pretty samey.

Sandy, I assure you that pretty much no Belgian will taste like those Mikkellers.

As for your final question - just grab a bunch different pale ales from Australian breweries and you'll find something you'll like pretty quickly and should be pretty easy to find out here what the main ingredients are to get you in the ballpark. Unless you like them really, erm, "clean and crisp" that is. Then go for any of the lighter coloured lagers you see floating about.

slowbeer rocks.

they are doing growlers soon to ;) :kooi: :ph34r:

How is the growler thing going to work? Are they going to have one beer on at a time or multiple?

"your better of finding beers that only have 1 hop type "

that is why I bought the Mikkeller - it stated Single Hop in big letters on it!
AND have a simple malt profile. read the whole thing.

and as I pointed out, if buy something like chimay etc your not going to taste hops. your going to taste malt. by all means go taste them but its not going to help you about hop taste.

ok. - some good advice here - here's the cunning plan for the weekend (too cold to do anything else)

Bridge Rd Brewers Beechworth Pale Ale (330ml)
Goodieson Pale Ale (330ml)
Hargreaves Hill Hefeweizen (single) (interested in brewinga Hefeweizen)
Hawthorn Brewing Pale Ale (330ml)
Kooinda Pale Ale (single)
Little Creatures Pale Ale (single)
Red Duck Pale Ale (single)
and
St Bernardus Tripel (single)
Chimay Blue 330ml (single bottle)
Chimay Red 330ml (single bottle)
Chimay White (single bottle)

Will definitely leave me a bit poorer but hey, you only live once and even if I don't like some of the beers, I'll certainly enjoy the process !!!

Anything I am missing ?? The idea is to try to work out a good hop or good beer to make in the future.

Sandy

Latest posts

Back