Slow Safwheat K-97

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkmad

Reaction score
G'day,
I'm using safwheat yeast K-97 for the first time in my attempt at a belgian wit beer (3kg ESB wheet kit, torrefied wheat steeped. 22 litres). Anyway it's been going for 2 weeks now in the primary, but is seems to be going extremely slowly. OG was 1.045 and it's currently on 1.014 - I'm expecting 1.012 at least, if not lower. Also it still has a krausen and has done for the full two weeks.

Has anyone else found the yeast to take so long (my ales are normally finished in primary after 4-7 days)? Is it ok to bottle if there is still a krausen - assuming its still there once the gravity stops coming down?

Cheers
BK

Edit: Title should read "Slow Safwheat K-97.

bkmad said:
G'day,
I'm using safwheat yeast K-97 for the first time in my attempt at a belgian wit beer (3kg ESB wheet kit, torrefied wheat steeped. 22 litres). Anyway it's been going for 2 weeks now in the primary, but is seems to be going extremely slowly. OG was 1.045 and it's currently on 1.014 - I'm expecting 1.012 at least, if not lower. Also it still has a krausen and has done for the full two weeks.

Has anyone else found the yeast to take so long (my ales are normally finished in primary after 4-7 days)? Is it ok to bottle if there is still a krausen - assuming its still there once the gravity stops coming down?

Cheers
BK

Edit: Title should read "Slow Safwheat K-97.
[post="114987"][/post]​

Hi, the krausen isnt still active, its an effect of wheat beers i find - call it head retention!. Some yeasts and kit beers, the krausen falls back through and you get a completely clear beer for bottling - not so for wheat and wheat yeasts. An offer of advice - seriously consider getting a wheat yeast like whienstephen or whatever, split it into six starters for value - the difference between k97 and a good liquid is quite astounding. the only liquids i use are wheats and belgians - I find the dries between muntons, us 56, so4 and s33 covers everything else.

Cheers pharmaboy, if this yeast ever finishes I'll bottle it regardless of krausen.
I'd love to try liquid yeasts, but I don't do wheats very often, and like you am happy enough with the other dried yeasts for my ales.

Cheers
BK

Latest posts

Back