Slow Recirculation Issue (New 1V System)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixfignig

Reaction score
Recently upgraded my setup to be a 1V recirculation eBIAB rig.
Rough diagram: (the grain pipe is lined with a bag): http://imgur.com/fkDU50I

I've done two brews on it now, and both times has been incredibly slow to drain through once the grainbed has settled. On the first brew I had to kill the pump a few times as it was flowing too fast and came close to exposing my element in the lower pot. Eventually I throttled the pump back to an absolute trickle, and resorted to lifting the bag a few times to help it drain through (which it did instantly).

Here's an earlier photo of the malt pipe (I've since filled the gaps with about another 20-30 slightly smaller holes): http://imgur.com/a/ZWfOk
And a video moments after lifting the malt pipe for sparge (ignore the banter haha): https://vid.me/Az7J

Any tips from those of you that have this type of setup working well?

Couple of points to think about
Holes, when the bag is sitting on the bottom the only part doing any straining is the bit over the holes, try a cake cooling rack in the bottom under the bag, or a lot more holes.
Cant tell from the pictures but a fairly coarse grist is best for a recirculating system, as is very low amounts of flour in the grist so a long hard look at your milling would be a good idea.

Mark

you've abused your bag!!

Ok I did it myself a while ago, if your going to recirculate you must support the bag with a perforated or mesh basket.

aamcle

Do away with the bag and get a false bottom that covers your holes. That is the setup I have going.

Ordered some coarser crushed grain today long with some rice hulls. Will try that first. If I don't have much more success I'm just going to get a perforated false bottom for my inner pot.

n87 said:
Do away with the bag and get a false bottom that covers your holes. That is the setup I have going.
Any chance of some pics love to see ya set up

False bottom sounds like the go (step 1 before rice hulls) considering your instant success when lifting the bag.
Otherwise a hoist to lift the bag when draining.

rude said:
Any chance of some pics love to see ya set up

As you wish:

IMAG0332.jpg

And one at the start of the boil:

IMAG0166.jpg

Lastly, just to show off, my hoist setup

IMAG0167.jpg

Is that a baby in your hands whilst ensuring there is no boil over?

Where is your actual draw-off for the pump? The overall photo seems to show the insulated line coming from the pump suction going to the top of the RIMS tube,but then the discharge goes into the bottom of the RIMS tube?

What does your pump sound like when it's running? Barely audible or like it's working hard?

Tony121 said:
Is that a baby in your hands whilst ensuring there is no boil over?
Baby in wifeys hands, I was taking the photo ;)

Adr_0 said:
Where is your actual draw-off for the pump? The overall photo seems to show the insulated line coming from the pump suction going to the top of the RIMS tube,but then the discharge goes into the bottom of the RIMS tube?
This is after the mash, so I have it in a loop in preparation of cleaning. Not actually running, just so wort doesn't drip on the ground.
The tap on the main pot is the outlet, and the thermometer is the inlet.

As far as the pump is concerned, not really audible, but there if you listen. If I didn't have the rubber feet on the frame, I'm sure it would be much louder (you can feel it through the frame).

n87 said:
Just waiting for her to be able to crank the mill :)
My girls were 4 & 6 when I started brewing again. Gee I wish I'd had those years to build up their strength & technique. Could be a nice easy brew day watching the Sydney test....

Anyway, apologies for the off topic.

Latest posts

Back