Premade BIAB grain bag with wide mesh size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex.Tas

Beer Goat
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've currently got a craftbrewer bag which works great for my current needs, but i would like to include temperature automation which will utilise a pump to ensure a consistent temp (as much as practical) throughout the 1v system. Its a crown urn FYI.

Anyhow, while the craftbrewer bag works great, the mesh is a little fine (I purchased it only a few months ago) to allow for adequate flow through the grain bed. I know i can throttle the pump (mag drive) but having a trickle running through kinda defeats the purpose, at least when ramping temps.

Any suggestions for cylindrical pre made biab bags that have a much greater mesh gap?
I'd prefer to purchase a pre made one over trying to fabricate one up with a sewing machine.
Lifting points on the bag would also be a bonus, the craftbrewer bag i currently use has these and they are great for my method.

I had a search before i posted this, and the majority of relevant posts were a few years old, hence the renewed question.

Cheers

I’m about to begin the process in the new year of going to a 19l big w pot as a malt pipe rather than a bag for this reason. With a 40L crown urn u need to remove the handles and it’ll fit snugly inside. I’ve seen a few posts and vids on the subject and for me seems to be the way to go, but obviously will need to fabricate the holes, legs and handles yourself which may not be what you’re after. Have u considered a malt pipe over the grain bag?

When I had an urn I made a malt pipe using the plastic 20 litre pails from Bunnings, a lot of patience and a lot of small holes it worked a treat. If I had to do it today I would cut out the bottom of the pail leaving a ridge, get some perforated plate, cut to size and fit into the bottom of the pail.

Thanks for the response guys, i had almost given up on the thread!
I have considered a 'malt pipe', but prefer drainage along the walls as well as through the base. Less likely to have a stuck mash
(maybe).
Wide eyed and legelss: what are the handy pails made from, non reactive plastic that is BPA free? Happy to use them for grain storage, and short periods of contact with hot wort, but haven't really looked into what may come out of the plastic if left in a mash for a few hours.

Is nylon what people typically recommend for bags?

This is the type of pail I used, about $12 from Bunnings.
white-plastic-bucket-picture-id509056806

Keg King has dedicated urns for brew in a bag, believe it comes in 2 sizes along with false bottom bag and a bazooka.

Latest posts

Back