Slip In Concentration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyethm

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was making a brew on the weekend and had sanitised everything with Sodium MetabiSulphate. When I went to use the container I use to transfer the water to the fermenter I forgot to rinse the sanitiser off.

Does anyone know if I have I buggered the brew? Will it be harmful to my health if I drink the resulting beer?

The container was a 1 L glass jug.

Cheers

Mark

P.S. I went out today and bought some no rinse sanitiser to avoid ever making the same mistake again.

That small of an amount I think will be fine.
Good decision on ditching the Sodium Met. I personally don't like it. A no-rinse sanitiser like iodophor or starsan is much more effective.

+1 Beers is right there. Too small to worry about you might get the slightest, teeny, weenyist of twangs.

Oh and you'll probably drop cold stone dead for no apparent reason 10 years down the track... but it won't be related to this incident :p

You'll live, but do yourself a favour and get some iodophor. No rinse and kinder to the lungs.

cheers

grant

I believe the small coopers jars of the stuff they sell at k-mart actually suggest that the recommended concentration is 'harmless to the brew'. That said after my first couple of kits, I started rinsing and noticed a significant improvement in flavour. It can be used to inhibit yeast growth too but I'd warrant your brew will be fine. I reckon you'll be ok too.

Everyone is very mean to sodium met - I still use it although I mix up my sanitation regime a bit and often use bleach/vinegar in conjunction with.

No rinse is probably easier - I just haven't got around to ordering any yet.

Thanks for the replies. It's happily bubbling away under my stairs at about 18 degrees. :)

Thanks for the replies. It's happily bubbling away under my stairs at about 18 degrees. :)

Good news. They actually put Sodium Met into wine, don't they?

I'm a no-chemicals brewer - just use boiling water. No infections. I ran out of sanitizer one day and never looked back.

Good news. They actually put Sodium Met into wine, don't they?

I'm a no-chemicals brewer - just use boiling water. No infections. I ran out of sanitizer one day and never looked back.

yep. It drops yeast like lead, and is a great antioxidant. Remember Campden tablets? they are made of the stuff.

I remember nearly killing myself with the fumes once in a confined space. I stay well clear now.

I would not recommend using this technique with demijohn style jugs as the OP is suggesting he uses.

I've heard of them shattering/exploding when filled with boiling water.

Also - don't use them on PET equipment like PET bottles or a Better Bottle. Unless you want to make mini-bottles or turn your 23L fermenter into a 5L one...

I would not recommend using this technique with demijohn style jugs as the OP is suggesting he uses.

I've heard of them shattering/exploding when filled with boiling water.

Also - don't use them on PET equipment like PET bottles or a Better Bottle. Unless you want to make mini-bottles or turn your 23L fermenter into a 5L one...

Heh heh! Yep - PET and boiling water do not mix. Likie George Castanza and swimming. HDPE and boiling water ... no problems at all. The other advantage is the tap gets too hot to touch - so I get slack with tap cleaning and just cook the critters living in there.

Sanatizers are only effective if the stuff is CLEAN. Boiling water - well, you can kill stuff through prolonged exposure to lethal heat. And yes, it doesn't kill endospores - but I've never had a problem. I'm pretty sure a few thousand bacterial endospores couldn't win over a few gazillion yeasties with their own cell wall nuking compounds.

If it tastes a bit off, piss in it and it will then taste like XXXX, all good.

:ph34r: Sorry

Back