Sleepless After Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezza79

Reaction score
anyone else have sleep problems after brewing?

im not the heaviest sleeper but i sure have alot of trouble after brewing.

i do a brew almost every monday which starts when i get home about 1630 and i am usually pouring it into a cube by about 2100 after that i pretty much don't sleep until about 0400.

anyone else noticed this? i thought it may be from breathing in all the delicious vapors. gets quite hot and steamy in the garage.

I tend to drink some of the results of the previous brew whilst brewing. The longer the process takes, the more I consume hence the more tired I get. I wish there was an easy way to draw a graph, it would be interesting to compare graphs over different brews, both the consumption of as well as the brewing of.

Edit: context.

just start drinking after mash out. that way you have enough alcohol in your system for a nice snooze when its all done. :icon_cheers:

Maybe you could try brewing on a Sunday morning instead. After a few beers in the arvo after brewing your timing should be good for a snooze in the evening.

Edit: Had to edit to make this sentence make sense..... :huh:

maybe its because you are working later then normal so your body wont let you sleep. I have done work will late at night a few times and by 2am I am like I best go to sleep. As I am used to getting home at like 4-6pm and having a beer sitting down and relaxing. But if you work till 9pm then sit down relax its 2am by the time you wanna sleep

I have heard some people put hops in their pillow to help them sleep.. maybe the vapours dont have the same effect.

It might be because I'm getting old but I find after brew day I'm absolutely knackered and have no trouble nodding off, usually on the couch after dinner.

Could have something to do with using a Carona mill to crush my grains.
Could have something to do with all the lifting and bending down during the day
Could have something to do with the brews I consume during the day
Could have something to do with being an old ******* who still thinks he can live life just as he did in his twenty's, but reality proves different.

anyone else have sleep problems after brewing?

im not the heaviest sleeper but i sure have alot of trouble after brewing.

i do a brew almost every monday which starts when i get home about 1630 and i am usually pouring it into a cube by about 2100 after that i pretty much don't sleep until about 0400.

anyone else noticed this? i thought it may be from breathing in all the delicious vapors. gets quite hot and steamy in the garage.

If you are going to be awake that late anyway why not do a double batch!!!

Id'e say it's because your brain is working hard with trying to remember when hops go in and gravities and all that is going on and your cleaning at the same time. So by the time your supposed to be wound down your brain is still ticking over and your laying there thinking oh **** I forgot the whirlfloc......or something like that anyway.
I reckon you should have a few beers when the boil starts so when your pissed all you have to do is put the hops in and clean the joint, thats what I do.

I pace endlessly around my kettle during mash and boil, so I am knackered after a brew day. No problems sleeping afterwards except I usually finish in the middle of the day :)

You could do as I often do and have a couple of 'thinking' schooners while building the recipe, a couple more as you print your recipe then a couple more on the way past kegerator to brew shed, then continue this drinking pace for the remainder of the brew day. This can lead to being tiddly at mash in, half cut at first hop addition, pissed at whirfloc and if your lucky struggling to stay awake as the kettle drains. A solid foundation for an immediate and good nights sleep.

P.S. Consult you brewery OH&S manual before attempting this procedure. I tried to consult mine but appears I dont have one, so I assumed it was safe to do ;)

bah

just the brain still ticking over.
now days with doing 48hrs in 4days in a kitchen i have taught myself to just turn the brain of and can be asleep after an hour of being home...also the thought of 2 kids waking me in 7 hours time really helps.

You could do as I often do and have a couple of 'thinking' schooners while building the recipe, a couple more as you print your recipe then a couple more on the way past kegerator to brew shed, then continue this drinking pace for the remainder of the brew day. This can lead to being tiddly at mash in, half cut at first hop addition, pissed at whirfloc and if your lucky struggling to stay awake as the kettle drains. A solid foundation for an immediate and good nights sleep.

P.S. Consult you brewery OH&S manual before attempting this procedure. I tried to consult mine but appears I dont have one, so I assumed it was safe to do ;)

bah

I do have an OHS manual for brewing and it actually states this is a requirement. Crack the top off one as you crack the first bit of grain.

I do have an OHS manual for brewing and it actually states this is a requirement. Crack the top off one as you crack the first bit of grain.

I agree. Get stuck into it early on.

OP's situation is like a working musician's situation after a gig (i am a working muso/music teacher for a living). I don't know of any guys in bands that can get home from a gig and go straight to sleep.

Usually for me, it's shit fast food (thanks taxi driver..) and "rage" on the tv in the garage/brewery for an hour or so after a show.

I don't have any troubles sleeping after a brewday though.

if your not sacrificing a few beers to the beer gods while brewing this will happen, i wouldn't want to put that kinda hurt on anyone

but seriously, it's because your working later than usual

-Phill

Must be the adrenline of brewing another cracking beer and the anticipation of a successful start of fermentation...like a kid on Christmas eve ;)

Latest posts

Back