Size And Shape Of Hop Bags

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to have a go at making my own hop bags.

What size/shape should they be?

Cheers,

Chris

I haven't actually seen them around. How are they sealed? Plastic zip? Draw string and tie it off? Velcro?

Jono.

My missus makes a dozen or so at a time, about 100 by 150 with a tie off attached.
Works out at a few cents each, just toss them after 1 use
Anything smaller tends to make the hops "clump" and compact together together in the boil.

stagga.

measured one- 130 by 160.

My missus makes a dozen or so at a time, about 100 by 150 with a tie off attached.
Works out at a few cents each, just toss them after 1 use
Anything smaller tends to make the hops "clump" and compact together together in the boil.

stagga.

measured one- 130 by 160.

What does she make them out of?

Mozzy net type material.
Dirt cheap at any curtain remnant shop.
Or Spotlite.

stagga.

The holes in it are about 1.5 mill.

Mozzy net type material.
Dirt cheap at any curtain remnant shop.
Or Spotlite.

stagga.

The holes in it are about 1.5 mill.

Hey staggalee,

Any chance you could post a picture of one?

Cheers,

Chris

How about using a normal tea bag? I got them from the Starbucks store when I purchase tea from them. The size of the tea baf seems reasonable to use for smaller batches of hops.

How about using a normal tea bag? I got them from the Starbucks store when I purchase tea from them. The size of the tea baf seems reasonable to use for smaller batches of hops.

I got a pack of tea bags from a tea shop the other day. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm still trying to work out a way to close them off. I think I read somewhere here about using a breadbag tie. Anyone else used the teabags?

My missus just gets a long strip of muslin, and sews it to make about a 5cm diameter really long (couple of meters) tube.
I just cut off how much i need, add hops, and tie knots in the ends, and chuck it when done. I wouldn't make them a larger diameter because they would be too hard to get out of a cube.
Cheers.

have you tried using muslin for grain bags?

I got a pack of tea bags from a tea shop the other day. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I'm still trying to work out a way to close them off. I think I read somewhere here about using a breadbag tie. Anyone else used the teabags?

A little thread and a needle works! Just fold the opening 2 times, and do a little sewing. :D

have you tried using muslin for grain bags?

Nope, never used grain bags, don't see why it wouldn't work though.
Others may have tried it and have more insight for you.

Back