Siphoning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive seen, but not used, an arrangement that has a double holed bung. in one hole goes a racking cane or pick up tube of your choice, into the other goes a filter. you blow into the filter to presurelze the demijon. similar to spillsmostofits idea i supose. i cant recall they filter type, but it promised to remove all nasties from your breath.

ive seen, but not used, an arrangement that has a double holed bung. in one hole goes a racking cane or pick up tube of your choice, into the other goes a filter. you blow into the filter to presurelze the demijon. similar to spillsmostofits idea i supose. i cant recall they filter type, but it promised to remove all nasties from your breath.

G&G and Craftbrewer (and others, I'm sure) sell such filters for placing in-line to a wort-aeration system. The former also have really cheap single-use filters that you could use as a Proof of Concept.

In my system, I have a cable gland to hold the racking tube in place and I'm too cheap to dedicate a filter to such stuff, so I suck... :huh:

I'd be interested in what people are using, if any, as an inlet filter when siphoning, particularly from the kettle to fermenter. I lost 3 litres to kettle trub with my first partial mash and now planning measures to avoid such a loss.

I'd be interested in what people are using, if any, as an inlet filter when siphoning, particularly from the kettle to fermenter. I lost 3 litres to kettle trub with my first partial mash and now planning measures to avoid such a loss.

I read a few people used stainless steel dish scrubbers shoved over the inlet of the syphon. Tried that with my FacileSyphon and had a measure of success.

I just drop the whole hose except about 20 cms, in the pot, put a sanitised thumb over the end and pull it out. Youll notice the hose is full of liquid at this point. If you bring the liquid in the hose down past the top of the liquid in the pot and remove your thumb it should start syphoning.

If you have a spare lid for either your cube or fermenter, this idea should be safe and sanitary:

View attachment 41807

A couple of minutes with a drill and some spare reticulation is all it would take.

Ahhh, so that's what all the draftys I used to work with really spent their time doing :lol:

That actually reminds me of a pooter.

I bought an EasySiphon. It's crap.

I'm with you part of the way there Spills. Most of my fermenters are the "bucket type" without a bung hole (Not any more) for the tap & I must say that the Easy-Syphon worked perfectly when transferring fermented wort to keg but what turned me off about it was that when attempting to bottle the last few litres the Easy-Syphon took on a mind of it's own & slipped & slithered along the bottom of the fermenter thus disturbing the yeast & in doing so destroyed any chance of bottling a yeast-free beer. This encouraged me to fit the bucket fermenters with those wine fementer type taps & put the Easy-Syphon into retirement.

TP

My 2 cents. Syphoning boiling wort from a 20l stock pot to a cube is where I tested every non-mechanical siphon method known 2 man. I ended up with using a larger hose section about 3 inches long over my siphon house. A gentle breath in, fills the loop & roberts your fathers brother. My problem was trying not get scalded so I had to be a bit careful. Works ok but tends to suck the hops I have used in the boil so I am working on a way to filter a bit better. I still have all my facial features!

Errrm, all i used to do was:

1. Get a long bit of hose,
2. Submerge it fully making sure that all but the bit you are holding on to is filled with hot wort,
3. Place thumb over the end blocking the air,
4. Lift hose out of pot, ensuring the end you are not holding onto is still in the pot, and maintianing thumb pressure on the other end of the hose,
5. Place end of hose with thumb over the end near opening of container you wish to fill,
6. Ensure that the container you wish to fill is below the fluid level of the container you are transfering from,
7. Release thumb from the end of the hose,
8. Enjoy the spledour of gravitry at work,
9. Underpants,
9. Profit....

Worked great for me no burnt digits.

As for a filter I used a ss pot scrubber, untill I upgraded to a Beerbelly hop screen.

Leary

One of these (Siphon Tip) 2 or 3 jiggles and away it goes
siphon_tip.jpg

And some silicone hose for boiling wort

I use a racking cane and hose. Fill both with water, place thumb over the end if the hose, put the cane into the fermenter and release the hose into a lower vessel.

However, last night I was transferring beer to my keg from my Demijohn (secondary fermenter). With about 3 litres to go so many little CO2 bubbles built up in the hose that the syphon failed! I think I need to get a bigger diameter hose/cane.
:icon_offtopic:
I couldn't be stuffed restarting the syphon for those last few litres, and poured the beer into the keg. What off flavourss should I be looking for if I have over oxidized my beer?

Edit: wording.

I'm with you part of the way there Spills.
<snip>

Given my lifetime record, part way is good enough!

<snip>
This encouraged me to fit the bucket fermenters with those wine fementer type taps & put the Easy-Syphon into retirement.
<snip>

I started using my FacileSyphon (It's Canadian!) to get hot wort out of kettle, before I Got Tap. The seal died after a short while and aerated everything that passed through it, so became useless for beer/cider/mead transfers.

I've got three styles of tap atm in my fermenters: Standard things like you might buy from WestFarmers, what I think you're talking about from a HB shop and ... wait for it ... a John Guest Ball Valve. The latter is my favourite, although it is excruciatingly expensive in comparison. I sanitise it, attach it to the fermenter (via the sort of connector-collection you might use for a beer filter) and in the other end place a sanitised JG end plug. When it comes to doing something with the contents, I remove the end plug, give a quick squirt of sanitiser and then BEVATube into the filter housing (or woteva).

My brewery and workshop are both full of retired equipments...

You can get a piece of hose that will fit inside the first piece. Suck on that, draw out the liquid then remove the 'mouthpiece'

On reading - it sounds like the same principle as Florian's method.

You can also buy autosiphons

Having just tried this with limited success, I researched other methods. I know the above would work well if you knew what you were doing and had half a brain but I kept cocking it up, cracked tehe shits and went and looked at youtube.

This worked for me beautifully:

Only difference in my method is instead of priming the siphon through the tap and a bucket of sanitising solution, I just tipped solution through the end with the end of the cane in the demijohn till the beer started to appear up the cane, let the solution drip out and placed the end of the siphon in the cube as the beer appeared in the end of it. Worked a treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back