siphoning between demijohns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deserter

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just transferred my beer from primary to secondary (25L - 20L Demijohn) using my stainless racking cane. Worked great until there was about 1/3 left in the primary then just decided that was all it would do. has anyone got any tips to keep it flowing until the bottom of the cane? Have i overlooked a simple question of physics or is there a trick to it.?? Help much appreciated folks..
D.

Make sure the liquid in the demijohn you are racking from is higher than any liquid in the receiving demijohn, If you don't it will get all Gandalf on your ass and say shit like "you will not pass!"

Sorry to hijack you're thread but I have a question which is slightly related.

Do people have an easy way to remove spices they have added to a 5L demijohn without the need to siphon into another vessel? The small neck makes me think a 'hop bag' approach wouldn't work too well.

Syphoning it off the trub is the best way to go, the last thing you want to do is any unnecessary splashing that will oxidise your beer. A hop bag with the spices in it would of been a way to go.

I haven't actually done it yet but I plan on using a demi as secondary so there won't be any trub. Just seeing if people add spices but remove them for further aging without unnecessary racking.

Thanks for the help going down a hill....
Thanks to the tax man don't think I'll have to worry too much longer as I'm gunna buy one of them totally sweet SS Brew Bucket's....
SCHWING....

Latest posts

Back