Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^That's what I was thinking.

One thing Scotch does to me that beer and a lot of other spirits don't is it gives me this feeling that it's made my blood noticeably warmer, and I can feel this warmth pumping through my veins. I don't want to sound like a junkie but that's the truth. This effect comes way before any actual drunkenness. It makes me feel cosy. I don't drink Scotch that much any more though, but it still gives me that feeling when I do. Like clockwork.

Let me save you a whole bunch of money then...Stones Green Ginger Wine.

My issue with JW Blue is nothing to do with the taste - as I haven't tasted it! It's more about the culture associated with it. It's the scotch that people get to impress people, not the scotch that people get to appreciate.

My sister in law was looking over my scotch collection a few months back (while I was pouring her a JW Red and coke) and commented that I didn't have any Johnny Blue. She then went on to say that she would love to get a bottle one day. This pricked my ears a little, and I (innocently) asked "I didn't think you were a scotch girl?". She pointed out that I was pouring her a "scotch" now, to which I asked, somewhat aghast, "You don't mean that you want to try some $250 scotch with coke do you?". She replied in the affirmative...

I've got nothing against people having some whiskey and coke, and I always have some Wild Turkey or JW Red for people who want to do that. But the only reason you have a $250 scotch with coke is to tell people that you had it...

chivas 21yr old is a fav of mine. its a blend (and IMO better than JW blue). ballantines is also a nice one. i could also drink good old chivas regal 12 yr old till the cows come home.
As I mentioned earlier, I've got the 12, 18 and 21 year old Chivas', and the 21 really is a fantastic drop. You can taste the attention to detail. The 18 is nice, but not even in the same league as the 21yo.

I can't think of a logical reason why a carefully constructed pure malt blend made by an expert can't be as good or better than a single malt. I mean we don't make single malt beers exclusively do we?
I think a good comparison here is Cognac. With only a few exceptions, all Cognacs are blended. And prior to the devaluation of the brand by the US rap industry, there weren't many folk out there who would argue that Cognacs weren't a sophisticated and complex drink, that could be considered as refined as any single-malt.

(Read a book on the history of Cognac... Honestly, I couldn't put that baby down. Read it in a single sitting!)

To me though, the difference between the single malts and the blends (in my experience) is that the blends tend to be a little bit of everything - nothing to offend anyone. A little smoke, a little peat, a little apple, etc. Personally though, scotch is a "mood" drink. Some days I want to be blown away with flavour, to know I'm drinking a scotch, so I'll have a Lahproig or Talisker. Other days, I'm after something a little cleaner and easier drinking, and I'll have The Glen Livit, or a highland malt. There is a single malt for every mood. Blends, again in my experience, just don't have that individuality - jack of all trades, master of none.

One thing Scotch does to me that beer and a lot of other spirits don't is it gives me this feeling that it's made my blood noticeably warmer, and I can feel this warmth pumping through my veins. I don't want to sound like a junkie but that's the truth. This effect comes way before any actual drunkenness. It makes me feel cosy. I don't drink Scotch that much any more though, but it still gives me that feeling when I do. Like clockwork.
Scotch and Cognac both do this for me. Come home from a real rough day at work, pour a glass, sit back in the recliner, and just drift away...

a blended scotch is nothing like a cask wine! i get what your meaning but it gives thew wrong impression. your anaolgue was good until then.

Possibly bad analogy. I'm certainly not saying that all blends are bad (I posted a recommendation earlier in the thread) and I would drink that recommendation over a bland single malt like glenfiddich 12 most days of the week.

As pointed out though a single malt is simply whisky from within the one distillery which is made with malt (no other grain). It's blended within that distillery - it just retains the characteristics of that area - water profile etc. Blends lose that. Additionally the better blends often just focus on being smooth which is not appealing in my eyes, any more than I like it in a beer. I like flavour, challenging palate etc.

Scotch and Cognac both do this for me. Come home from a real rough day at work, pour a glass, sit back in the recliner, and just drift away...

I'll call B.S. on this last point. Not so easy to do with a rug rat crawling around, is it mate ;)

BTW, you don't work that hard...

edit: to be technical scotch is only produced in scotland. i wont even go into the spelling of whisky/whiskey etc etc.

Which is why I've only referred to single malts and blends. I love a good Australian single malt too and have enjoyed an Irish one (whisky and whiskey respectively)

I think it's fair enough to say that blends are generally made to be generic and inoffensive. If that's the case then that is a fair call.

But do they have to be? No.

I'll call B.S. on this last point. Not so easy to do with a rug rat crawling around, is it mate ;)

BTW, you don't work that hard...
I didn't say "When"! Haven't done it (sank into infinity with a glass of scotch OR worked hard) in just over 13 months... Coincidentally I also started brewing about 13 months ago...

You're right though. Scotch now is drank when my old man visits and at no other times. Scotch just isn't the same when you're trying to entertain a kid at the same time.

I think it's fair enough to say that blends are generally made to be generic and inoffensive. If that's the case then that is a fair call.

But do they have to be? No.

No and I agree that assuming single malt is automatically superior without having a clue what you're talking about is a bit stupid.

Which is why I've only referred to single malts and blends. I love a good Australian single malt too and have enjoyed an Irish one (whisky and whiskey respectively)
i was being a smart arse mate. just joking round.

i love scotch and whisky/whiskies/whiskeys. was my drink of choice since i started drinking. anytime is a good time for it.

hmmm cognac. all cognac is brandy but not all brandy is congac.....finished my 2nd bottle of courvoisier vsop in 4 months on the weekend. lovely example of a fine champaigne cognac. delegate and refined. great to get people started on before they develop their palate and can tackle a mammoth like Hennessy XO.

woops got sidetracked.

delegate and refined. great to get people started

Excellent delegation!

I bought 30 bottles of Remy Martin VSOP for the wedding. That any good? I must say I did not think so. Had to go from table to table doing shots at each as well. 16 tables.

[EDIT: typo]

whoops re delegate. delicate would be better spelling.

remy vsop = ~$27 a bottle, courvoisier vsop = ~$70-80...ill let you be the judge ;)

30 bottles for 16 tables? wow. why brandy as opposed to something else?

I'm pretty sure the Remy VSOP is about the same as you quote for the Courvoisier but I'm not interested in getting into a pissing contest about that.

It wasn't so much choosing the cognac instead something else - it was in addition to other stuff. Man, 2 years later and I'm still paying it off (but that is another story). Short answer is very big Chinese contingent on the guestlist. They love that shit. Me? Not so much.

I'm pretty sure the Remy VSOP is about the same as you quote for the Courvoisier but I'm not interested in getting into a pissing contest about that.
sorry your correct. i was thinking remy VS. dude chill. no one's having a pissing contest.

I cant remember the last timne i had remy so i couldnt compare the 2. they are both champaigne cognancs, so they should have similar characteristics.

big Chinese contingent on the guestlist. They love that shit.
ahh that explains it. yeh they do. certainly an aquired taste. took me a couple years to get used to the taste.

MMMmmm......This is a ScotchsWiskey thread.....

So me saying I dont mind bourbon is a bit :icon_offtopic:

But a nice Bourbon on ice is rather nice

When at the pub I like Wild Turkey with a dash of proper dry ginger ( from the bottle, NOT the post mix ).....never with coke :icon_vomit:

But especially like Rare Bread on ice...

Sure..these are not the best, but not many Bottle shops stock good bourbon...or Wiskey.. :(

No such thing as a good rye whiskey especially in a Single Malt thread.

Although we can see you are just taking the pee from the first line of the post.

Try Crown Royal comes in a blue bag

edit; says this philistine with a large glass of Jamesons 12yr special reserve in hand.

quite noiiice

So, I am not a scotch appreciator but I do like to try as much as I can of things so when I saw them throw out the last bit of a bottle at work I brought it home. Looks like just under a nip is left, so am looking forward to it.

I was wondering what the best way to enjoy it is, as there was a bit of info earlier in the thread, but I want to make sure. It is Glenmorangie Astar. I'm not sure if this gives enough info, but there is no age or anything. Has anyone had this before and what sort of scotch is it? Should I just be drinking it straight or with water or ice? No recommendations for coke please...

Glenmorangie make nice single malts. From the quick search I did this seems like a cask strength SM.

Scotch is usually recommended to be taken with a drop or two of water to release the essential oils within. Tap water is a bad addition due to chlorine so still spring water only (purer the better).

I've only ever noticed a difference with one or two whiskies though so the other way is simply neat. Ice 'bruises' the scotch (allegedly). Not sure exactly if this is true but what I do notice is that it dilutes the lovely flavours as you are just getting into it.

Apart from that - use either a whisky glass or if you have a european beer glass (like a chimay glass) you could use that.

Like beer - the first part is about the aroma. I'll probably sound like a wanker here but here goes:

Breathe it in gently but deeply, through the nose and down into the throat. Don't sip.

Do this a couple of times, 'tasting' the different notes as you do so. Remember you haven't actually drunk any yet.

Now take a small amount of the whisky onto your tongue, again breathing in through the nose to inhale the fumes. Hold it on your tongue, roll it around a little.

Breathe gently in again (through the nose only - don't choke on the stuff!) and take it to the back of your tongue. Don't swallow. Let it sit, then gently roll it around your mouth a couple of times. Breathe in through the nose once more then slowly swallow. Savour the different layers on your tongue and olfactory senses - good whiskies are multi (malty ha ha) layered.

Repeat until gone. Goddamn addictive.

Thanks for a great reply. When you say whisky glass, you mean a heavy based short glass, right? I have a brandy balloon, but no other european style glasses...

Back