Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bigger fan of whisky than my budget permits, so generally only have one bottle of single malt sitting around at any one time. Currently enjoying a bottle of Ardbeg 10, before that went through some Lagavulin & Bruichladdich. Kinda been stuck on Islay this year.

I moved all my Photobucket images into albums so the lonk broke and we cant edit posts any more so here is my colection again.

TheMalts1248x832.jpg

There are some expensive malts out there.

Ive always wanted a bottle from 1974..... the year i was born but the price is a bit pohibitive.

http://www.aussiewines.com.au/buyLiquor_on...9077&page=0

I also enjoy a drop of the single malt. My dad is a huge fan and 6 months living in Edinburgh didn't hurt me either...
I loved the way some bars would have a jug of water there on the bar for you...

I went to a tasting with Bruichladdich recently and it was a hugely enjoyable night.
Very informative and some great whiskies too...

I very much prefer Islay malts from what I've tasted but I haven't had a really wide exposure to other areas...

Got some Highland Park 12yr and Glenmorangie Original on the go at the moment (picked up the Highland Park for 55 bones - fathers day special).

Recently had some Sullivans Cove, 2.5yrs old from a 50l port cask - fantastic. And some cask strength Macallan (no age) which was nice.

The Aussie stuff is getting pretty good too, Bakery Hill, Lark, Helliers Road (light but good) and Sullivans Cove.

Plenty out there to try.

Most recent bottle I bought is the Hart Brothers bottling of LaPhroaig 18 year... that's tasty...

I have Laphroaig QC, Laph 10yo, JW Blue and now Highland Park 12 sitting above the cupboard atm. All tasty drops, theough the Blue is totally overrated and overpriced.

My fave all rounder is the Highland Park, it's really good value as i just picked it up for $65 for a 1L bottle duty free. Cheaper if you can get a discount of some sort at the duty free, i have done that before and got it for $57.50 :)

Laphroaig is good as is Ardbeg and Lagavulin, been a while since i tried the Lagavulin though. Used to think Macallan was awesome but it has changed too much with the move to bourbon casks so have to get my sherry cask hit from something else (Aberlour A'bunadh anyone?)

What i really would like to try is some Ardbeg Supernova, got a mate onto Islay malts in a big way so hopefully he pays for it :)

All tasty drops, theough the Blue is totally overrated and overpriced.

Massively overpriced. I hope it was a gift. A friend was given some once - nice drink but not a great whisky. For the same price you could buy between 3 and 5 far superior single malts or couple of single bottlings or something equally special and delicious.

Aberlour A'bunadh anyone?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Does anyone have a definitive reason why single malts are defacto superior to blends?

Are there people out there that prefer blends or at least don't hold them to be completely inferior?

Does anyone have a definitive reason why single malts are defacto superior to blends?

Are there people out there that prefer blends or at least don't hold them to be completely inferior?

Michael Jackson has made a point of his opinin that people underestimate blends, and that whenever he brought whiskeys to a tasting a couple would always be blends to point out "yes tehre are some really good ones". I would like someone to point me to some of them, as I would like to try them.

dewars 18yr old is a blend and its fantastic. chivas 21yr old is a fav of mine. its a blend (and IMO better than JW blue). ballantines is also a nice one. i could also drink good old chivas regal 12 yr old till the cows come home.

its horse for courses. you can buy a single malt for $30 in aust. doesnt meant its better than a blend. you also have to remember that whisky like wine can have a $ value attached due to rarity. so price isnt always an indicator.

Lagavulin 16yr, would have to be my personal favourite. closly followed by Laph 10yo.

The JW portfolio actually has some bloody great whiskys like talisker.

Yeah it seems like a reputation thing.

It seems like if you were a true Scotch appreciator and had put in the years and the many different bottles drank you may come to a conclusion that you prefer single malt.

But unfortunately it seems a lot of the pretenders are making this same assertion without really knowing, and then it becomes this annoying folklore that everyone adheres to, even the newbies.

I can't think of a logical reason why a carefully constructed pure malt blend made by an expert can't be as good or better than a single malt. I mean we don't make single malt beers exclusively do we?

Almost all of the people that tell me only single malts are worth drinking don't even realise that there's more than two types of scotch. Single malt, blended malt / pure malt, then blends that contain non-malted grain, etc.

I am by no means a Scotch expert. I'm very much at the start of my Scotch journey, having drunk it for about 10 years now (I'm 27) and having drunk about 50 bottles per year at my peak (mostly Johnny Walker Red). I still like Johnny Walker, especially Green label, though it becomes a question of the price/quality ratio doesn't it? Green is expensive for what it is. I like the dryness of Johnny Walker. Maybe it's an acquired taste!

One thing Scotch does to me that beer and a lot of other spirits don't is it gives me this feeling that it's made my blood noticeably warmer, and I can feel this warmth pumping through my veins. I don't want to sound like a junkie but that's the truth. This effect comes way before any actual drunkenness. It makes me feel cosy. I don't drink Scotch that much any more though, but it still gives me that feeling when I do. Like clockwork.

Yes. A single malt is characteristic of the distillery and local ingredients, in much the same way a good wine might be dependent on grape growing climate etc. A blend is a bit like cask wine - there are some good ones but the unique character that makes whisky so exciting is no longer there.

Like anything it's not set in stone.

a blended scotch is nothing like a cask wine! i get what your meaning but it gives thew wrong impression. your anaolgue was good until then.

more like a SMASH beer. the ingredients have to be of the finest quality and process because they star on their own without addional ingredients to back them up. ok my analogue isnt the greatest either.

edit: to be technical scotch is only produced in scotland. i wont even go into the spelling of whisky/whiskey etc etc.

I can't think of a logical reason why a carefully constructed pure malt blend made by an expert can't be as good or better than a single malt. I mean we don't make single malt beers exclusively do we?

You seem to think that simgle malt=only uses one malt, when it means the whisky is the product that came from one distillery :)

Latest posts

Back