Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with single malt whiskey is, its just too expensive. The cheap blended whiskeys are so harsh and not even worth the bother of purchasing, unless you want it as a mixer.

Danwood said:
Plenty of these 12yr Glenlivets in Aldi Ringwood this morning, if anyone's interested. $50 sounds like a good deal.
Pity I hate whiskey.
Whisky, on the other hand....

panzerd18 said:
The problem with single malt whiskey is, its just too expensive. The cheap blended whiskeys are so harsh and not even worth the bother of purchasing, unless you want it as a mixer.
There are some single malts that aren't too expensive and are bloody tasty. The way I see it is an average single malt is about the same price as or slightly higher than a carton of average beer, with the exception of beer on special. Ie. a carton of beer is about $60 and a bottle of Glenlivet is about $60-65, which is a perfectly good, drinkable whisky and about 22 standard drinks so you're getting pretty much the same amount of booze.

If you bought a carton of craft beer, it'd easily cost you 80-90 or more. You could get a good 10-12yo whisky (Ardbeg or Glenmorangie for example) for the same price so it's not really any more expensive than beer until you start buying the older or cask strength whiskies. And then obviously the price can and does go through the roof. But you don't need to spend big money on a whisky to get a half decent one.

Trouble is 700ml bottles does not go very far I find have to ration it out or is gone in 3 days not that a case of beer lasts much longer and I am the only one drinking it. Do I have a drink problem ?

Johnnie Walker Green Label is back in a new limited run incarnation. Not strictly a Single Malt but I believe is a blend of Single Malts minus the grain whisky. I do not like any of the JW regulars but did try the original Green one a few years ago and it was pretty good. Difficult to find as it is a bit of a collectors piece !!! ?? My Dan's has 5 bottles left according to the web. At $60 a bottle not too bad but would not go out of my way to find it.

The Glenlivet Founders Reserve at $49 in Dan's Quite a nice soft and smooth whisky with a more delicate flavour ideal for anybody starting out on the Single Malt trail very nice neat.

Being now local, thought I'd pop into Nant whisky bar in Salamanca. Wasn't quite expecting these prices but trying a nip of the french pinot oak cask strength.
Oh dear me, is this a glass of pure deliciousness I have in my hand?

Just casually suckling on some Glenmorangie original. Nothing exciting, but very nice on a Sunday evening.

I usually partake in a dram most nights over winter but virtually none in summer. I recently polished of a bottle of Glenfiddich I bought duty free in January and felt like a sherried whisky from Speyside. My usual budget Speysider is Aberlour 10yo (around $50 is a bargain) but unfortunately they are no longer making the 10yo. Instead the 12yo is now their budget offering. Picked it up for just under $70. Gotta say, it's pretty good. Slightly heavier on the sherry than the 10yo and a little more complex spiciness as well. I'm gonna miss the $50 10yo but I think I've found my new budget Speysider.

schoey said:
I usually partake in a dram most nights over winter but virtually none in summer. I recently polished of a bottle of Glenfiddich I bought duty free in January and felt like a sherried whisky from Speyside. My usual budget Speysider is Aberlour 10yo (around $50 is a bargain) but unfortunately they are no longer making the 10yo. Instead the 12yo is now their budget offering. Picked it up for just under $70. Gotta say, it's pretty good. Slightly heavier on the sherry than the 10yo and a little more complex spiciness as well. I'm gonna miss the $50 10yo but I think I've found my new budget Speysider.
Not a single malt but a blend from the Glenmorangie stable but a fantastic winter drink for the cooler nights. Bailie Nicol Jarvie only $39.00 from Dan's must be one of the best blends around but sadly may well be gone forever when present stocks are sold.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/bailie-nicol-jarvie-blended-whisky/

I can see why you blokes srave about these. I've never really liked any spirit straight due to it's harshness ()excepting younger, sillier shot sinking days). Just this arvo had the opportunity to sample a couple quality single malt whiskeys and I have to say I can see why you'se enjoy them. Very smooth, and in the case of the 60% sample, to quote Ron Simmons......."Damn"!!!!!

I won't be going out to buy any anytime soon, but streuth, I can see why you would.

Oh no another blend The Six Isles and it is a cracker blended from Islay, Jura, Sky, Mull, Orkney and Arran malts. Very pale in colour and quite complex with the distinctive Islay peated malt smokey twang although not very strong.

Perfect as a change from Speyside malts and a good introduction to West Coast Island tastes. Only $51.00 at Dan Murphys

Latest posts

Back