Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I do love my Single malts. I have colecting some nice bottles of rare and well aged Whisky for a little while now.

Some have been drank (its for drinking, not saving if you ask me) and some will only be tasted on very special occasions.

I recently purchased a bottle of 25 year old Port Ellen. The Port Ellen distillery closed in 1983 so this is the youngest malt still available..... if you can find it. I got the bottle home, took one taste and got a 2nd bottle to put away to open for my kids weddings. It is the most supurb liquid you can imagine. At $200 a bottle it would want to be, but in 20 years when i dig out the un opened bottle that was distilled 45 years prior...... it will be worth in the thousands. And i wont sell it for anything.

If you ask me..... Whiskys are like beer. They all have ditterent flavours, aromas, mouthfeels. Some are good neat, some need a touch of water to lift the character. I personly add a single icecube to a good double shot as i find this releases the character of the scotch. It changes as the ice melts like a fine ale changes as it warms up.

I thought i would start this thread for people who love a fine single malt to show there colections, "whats in the glass" shots, discuss different distillerys and there products etc etc.

I will start it with a pic of my current collection as it stands. There are 2 bottles of the Port Ellen.... one has been put away :)

TheMalts1248x832.jpg

Cheers

Not only are they like beer - they are made from beer. Unfortunately I can't currently afford a collection like yours but I do love a good single malt and have little time for blends (even exclusive blends like JW Blue seem such a pointless exercise).

Most drops I've tried will be within the affordable range - eg glenlivet 12, 15 and french oak reserve (tried 18 in a bar once though - lovely toffee and the best of the bunch, 12 is up there with coopers and brown brothers for affordable and consistent), Arbelour 10 (abuna'dh is a favourite but can only ever buy a glass at a time) laphroaig 10 (actually a bit one dimensional - love peaty islays but need other levels) lagavulin 16 (again by the glass but my favourite - blows laphroaig out of the water with its complexity), Macallan 12 (sold to me accidentally for 29.95, otherwise only in bars, tried the 18 and was less impressed), bunahaibbhan (not sure if I spelled right - nice spicy islay), Bruichladdich 10 (another, spicy but light islay), Glen Moray (remarkably affordable and tasty SM) Glenmorangie (bars only - reliable subtle but reasonably complex drop but not a massive favourite), Glenfarclas 8 (lovely nutty caramel), Dalwhinnie 15 (spicy, citrus and grass, too expensive for more than a once off), Oban (bars only - can take or leave), ardbeg (bars only - good islay drop) Bowmore Legend (12 I think -affordable smoky islay) and probably a few more.

Not impressed by glenfiddich 12 which seems to be the crown lager of single malts and would rather drink blairhmor (sp) 8 year old blended than any other blend.

Next question - neat, water, ice, how much ice, how much water, what kind of water?

Myself - neat please. Tried a few drops of spring water but there's only one whisky it ever seemed to make a difference in. I've forgotten which one but it may have been the laddie.

i haven't had much whisky for a while but the passion I have for its layers and complexities and processes is similar to that I have with beer. Beer wins simply because I can make it.

Ive run out of the "regular drinkers". I dont like drinking the well aged stuff all the time as its expensive and i want to save it for special occasions and share with friends or family.

I do like the Cragganmore. Its fairly cheap for a fantastic 12 year scotch at under $70 a bottle at Dans these days. Its very malty with a massive caramel hit and no smoke. VEry easy to drink and very smooth.

The Oban 14 year is a great drop also. Its malty and full bodied with a deep caramel character mixed with oak, leather and smoky peat. All the flavours mix well and none really dominate which makes it a standout.

cheers

I've asked this on other forums and got little and can't find a whole lot online, but....

Does anyone know much about Midleton's Very Rare??

I realise already that it is apparently very rare, I think it's Irish.

Have been told it's quite valuable/expensive?

Anyone know anything about it?

Cheers

kev

See you like your Islay. Personally I find them a bit to medical. My favs. are Glenlivit, Dalwhinne, Highland park, Glen ord and Isle of jura. Probably the biggest fav. of the moment is The Balvenie, just perfect.

Forgot talisker and Australia's very own bakery Hill. Superb drops both.

Single Malt addicted here also after living and working in Scotland for a few years.
Ferryhill Tavern in Aberdeen had more than 100 different malts behind the bar.
Any visitors to Scotland must do the Whisky Trail essential. :) maltwhisky trail

Not a collector of malts but manage to get through about 20 bottles per year. The world's Duty Free are getting more and more additions each year.

Alltime favorites are from the Western Isles, Isle of Jura, Talisker and most Islay malts. Standout is Laphroaig Cask Strength ( spotted Tony's Quarter Cask ) and Lagavulin. All the others are very drinkable and Bowmore a good introduction at a lower price. Had a very bad day after managing to demolish half a bottle of Ardbeg.

The list is very long but currently enjoying Glenmorangie Sauternes cask 'Nectar D'or' but not very keen on the port or sherry casked versions.
From many Singleton 18yr, Cardhu, Tomintoul, Glenlivet etc etc.

Agree with Manticle not a fan of Glenfiddich 12year but the 15year Solera Reserve and the 18year Ancient Reserve are superb and something else.

Johnny Walker (wtf) Green Label is a blend of about 15 single malts including Talisker, Cragganmore, Caol Ila, Macallan.... and is also quite tasty.

I can drink the cheap blended whisky but would only buy The Famous Grouse given the choice. (the most popular blend widely consumed and supplied in Scottish pubs).

Agree with Tony a Single Malt tastes totally different neat and then with a splash of water. I tend to drink with a little bit of water which seems to release more of the aroma.

Also drinking beer and a good malt together ( seperate glasses ) is a taste made in heaven. Learnt that one in Scotland Pint and Nip take a slug of beer and afterwards a sip of whisky and let the malt flavours wash over you. IPA and Highland Park yummy.

If you like to find more whisky information and comparisons then try scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Scotch... mmmm....

My collection:
- Glenfiddich 12, 15, 18. Non of them really float my boat. All presents
- Chivas Regal 12, 18, 21. The 21 is out of this world. Yeah, they're blends, but Chivas do it right, IMO.
- Talisker 10, 18. The 18 is great, but not great enough to justify the price over the top of the 10, which is just bloody awesome IMO.
- Dalwhinni 15. So much depth
- The Glen Livit 12. I've had bottles that cost twice as much that aren't half as good.
- Craggenmore 12. Marginally better then The Glen Livit, but is it worth the price differential? Not sure...
- Glenfarclas 15. Twice the price of The Glen Livit, half as good...
- Laphroig 10. Gotta be in the mood. But when you are...
- Lagavulin 16. My dead set favourite. Flawless.

In addition, I've got a few Cognacs including a bottle of Hennesys Paradis. A balloon of that and some Jarlsberg cheese - a perfect match.

So how to drink? Depends on the mood and the drop. I'll have either neat, a single ice cube that I've let melt down in the glass a bit before drinking, or two ice cubes when I'm after something a bit lighter

I would lovvvve to try Chivas 18 or 21yo!! Given it's somewhat "cheap", I really like their 12yo, but that might have something to do with the fact I was started on it in my early 20's (thanks mum :p)

The upper echelon of my collection is a cognac (Hennesy XO) and a (wait for it) Jack Daniels http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...6&hl=Silver Select which I picked up duty free a few years ago, but I love. Most of the other stuff I have is younger single malts (Glen Livit 12) and a few Irish Whiskeys (Black Bush, Jamesons 12), and my bottle of Chivas 12. I don't drink a heap of spirits, but there's always room on my bar for something fancy. I'm really digging the Hennesy, but really don't have enough occasions to bring it out :p I have tried (and liked!) Glenmorangie Sherry Cask, and a couple of Laphroigs. I have a friend who went the scotch route while I went down the beer path, and he's always happy to share :p

I can drink the cheap blended whisky but would only buy The Famous Grouse given the choice. (the most popular blend widely consumed and supplied in Scottish pubs).

Ha........ bought a bottle of 12 year Famous Grouse today as a quaffer. I love it. The only blend i will drink and enjoy.

Zebba........ the Lagavulin 16 is wondeful but if you want flawless..... buy a bottle of Port Ellen, no mater the cost! Its unbelievable how good it is.

cheers

I've asked this on other forums and got little and can't find a whole lot online, but....

Does anyone know much about Midleton's Very Rare??

I realise already that it is apparently very rare, I think it's Irish.

Have been told it's quite valuable/expensive?

Anyone know anything about it?

Cheers

kev

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.a...d=0010000003697

THis is a great european site. I have looked at ordering from here but frieght is nasty. gets bette the more you buy.

I will keep an eye out for it mate. Thanks

Here's my two favorites at the moment, the Balvenie has a second aging in oak sherry casks that seems to enhance the sweetness, very nice. Only ever drink them on ice.

I'm only new to the Single malt scene but have to admit I've become a bit of a snob and don't drink the blended whiskeys at all.

whiskey_009__800x600_.JPG

midleton.jpg

103 pounds! :eek:

Thats like $250 -$300??

Hey-zeus! :)

Have been tempted to crack this one, but might keep it hidden away methinks...

Zebba........ the Lagavulin 16 is wondeful but if you want flawless..... buy a bottle of Port Ellen, no mater the cost! Its unbelievable how good it is.
Mate, I'd love to, but the wife just let me spend $50k on a new car so she won't be too receptive to me buying stuff like this for a few months - at least!

Scotch... mmmm....

So how to drink? Depends on the mood and the drop. I'll have either neat, a single ice cube that I've let melt down in the glass a bit before drinking, or two ice cubes when I'm after something a bit lighter

Always took mine with a single ice cube but spent a few sessions at the Whisky club in Leith, the port at Edinburg, where they serve only cask strength with a jug of water. It was a real education to firstly sample such a large and diverse range of whiskies, mostly completely unheard of by us backward colonists and then marvelling how the flavour profile changed depending on the water ratio. I'm a bit pissed of that my sister has left Leith, as the free board and lodgings only a ten minute walk from such a treasure house is no longer available.

Latest posts

Back