Single hop addition German lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing a single hop addition German lager/Pilsner.

I would just like to know when would the best time for the addition?

90 min boil.

So @60min and keep the bitterness in check with the style?

60 min but why restricted to only one?

I'd do 60 and 10 of something like tettnanger, spalter or hall mitt.

I do 60 mins and 15 mins. Gives me a better beer than just a 60. But I'm still learning lager brewing .

I have Tett and NB on hand, I guess I'm wanting the malt flavours to dominate.

Grain Bill at the moment is 3kg Pilnser, 2kg Vienna, 100g Acidulated.

A small 10ish min addition won't overshadow the malt, especially not with a nice noble hop.

NB (German?) is the most neutral bittering hop I've used - that early and a smattering of tett late will be delicious.

Or all tett.

FWH is another option but I don't speak from high levels of personal experience on that one.

manticle said:
FWH is another option but I don't speak from high levels of personal experience on that one.
I can join you on that one.

But I will settle for a small 10min addition.

Other option is to split your 60 into 60 and 30min additions. At 30 mins you'll still get some flavours come through but it will be well integrated with the malt flavours.

First wort hopping is all I use for a Munich helles.

The last batch was 23 ibu but the hops fade and the beer tastes best after a couple of months. Scored second at Vicbrew this year. Wyeast 2206 really brings out the malt, I use it for all sorts of German lagers, smells like shit but is an awesome yeast.

If you want a malty German lager, go with an ibu of 16/17. It's at the low end of a Helles, but in style for Southern Bavarian Helles. Hop at 60min, then 1/4 of the 60min hops at 20mins, and half that again at 5 mins.

I agree with that, 2206 is a real farty pants. When it was fermenting in a chest freezer I almost knocked myself opening it and sticking my head in to see how it was going.

Latest posts

Back