Singapore bans gay-themed books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Send them first edition copies of "This is Me" by Ian Thorpe.

No gay references in the that edition

The poms banned many of the Noddy books.

At Infants school in the 1950s we liked the one where the Golliwog bros mug Noddy in the Dark Dark Wood, steal his car, strip him naked and he has to stagger off to Big Ears' house where he gets put to bed and........ :blink:

golliwogs21.gif

Got the girls in our class strangely excited.

edit: also a couple of the lads, but that wasn't talked about back then.

Obviously quite skilled as well .. as you can see, the book was "here comes Noddy again". Presumably a reference to what happeded after Noddy arrived naked on Big Ears' doorstep.

noddy naked.gif

Bribie G said:
Obviously quite skilled as well .. as you can see, the book was "here comes Noddy again". Presumably a reference to what happeded after Noddy arrived naked on Big Ears' doorstep.

attachicon.gif
noddy naked.gif
Does the next chapter have Catholic priests in it, helping out poor Noddy like they did so may others?

So he has banned a book based on a real life story of two male penguins raising a baby chick in New York's Zoo because he thinks it's not natural?

I seem to be missing something here. Can someone please explain it to me.

We are talking about a country that maintains a squad of toilet police who patrol public toilets. When you emerge from the cubicle they can hold you then rush in to see if you have flushed. If not you are in big trouble. I've only been to Singapore once, many years ago. A guy with a ruler measured the length of my hair to see if I could enter the country.

In an interview a couple of years ago the former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew said that in rapidly developing a modern urban society from a base of millions of peasants who didn't know how to wipe their bums and who thought that spitting in lifts was acceptable, they had to be given a quick hurry-up into the 20th century. Thus some laws such as birching and the banning of chewing gum are regarded as extremely harsh by societies that have had the advantage of a slow transition into modern society as opposed to Singapore, where it had to be done basically within one generation.

Thus the social engineering that has taken place.

Bribie G said:
We are talking about a country that maintains a squad of toilet police who patrol public toilets. When you emerge from the cubicle they can hold you then rush in to see if you have flushed. If not you are in big trouble. I've only been to Singapore once, many years ago. A guy with a ruler measured the length of my hair to see if I could enter the country.

In an interview a couple of years ago the former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew said that in rapidly developing a modern urban society from a base of millions of peasants who didn't know how to wipe their bums and who thought that spitting in lifts was acceptable, they had to be given a quick hurry-up into the 20th century. Thus some laws such as birching and the banning of chewing gum are regarded as extremely harsh by societies that have had the advantage of a slow transition into modern society as opposed to Singapore, where it had to be done basically within one generation.

Was Singapore the place that stamped SHIT in your passport? Said to stand for "suspected hippy in transit". One for the mythbusters.

Bribie G said:

Sounds OK to me.

And a nice clean place when I visited it last. I thought the down trodden people where very nice as well, and I stay in China Town.

Batz

I always thought of Singapore as a pristine, pure place. The short hair, no spitting, no chewing gum etc.

The last time I was there a couple of mates I went to Uni with who are now locals took me out on the town. Second stop for the night was Orchard Towers...known locally as Four Floors of Whores.
It's fair to say that place changed my impression of Singapore.

This is why you need the separation of church and state.

But FWIW - Singapore is a great place to visit, I've been there lots of times (stopover for work trips), and once for a short family holiday.

Mr Wibble said:
This is why you need the separation of church and state.

But FWIW - Singapore is a great place to visit, I've been there lots of times (stopover for work trips), and once for a short family holiday.
That's what the founding fathers of America insisted upon also.

Never mind that everything from the pledge of allegiance to the currency to the president has god tucked away in it somewhere.

A black president was always on the cards, if only to appease liberal guilt. An openly atheist or indeed, polytheist president? Forget it.

Dave70 your hatred will make you blind just like those whom you despise so much. Relax, have a brew, read a footrot flats comic and have a laugh.
I work with people who refuse to accept that a solar panel produces power. They are no different from the people who think that we can live with out burning coal.

booargy said:
booargy, on 15 Jul 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

Dave70 your hatred will make you blind just like those whom you despise so much. Relax, have a brew, read a footrot flats comic and have a laugh.
I work with people who refuse to accept that a solar panel produces power. They are no different from the people who think that we can live with out burning coal.
The difference is you can show them that a solar panel does produce power........

Maybe they will ban all of Tom Cruise's movies........oh........wait.....he is not gay...is he...

Back