Singapore bans gay-themed books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
We are talking about a country that maintains a squad of toilet police who patrol public toilets. When you emerge from the cubicle they can hold you then rush in to see if you have flushed. If not you are in big trouble. I've only been to Singapore once, many years ago. A guy with a ruler measured the length of my hair to see if I could enter the country.

In an interview a couple of years ago the former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew said that in rapidly developing a modern urban society from a base of millions of peasants who didn't know how to wipe their bums and who thought that spitting in lifts was acceptable, they had to be given a quick hurry-up into the 20th century. Thus some laws such as birching and the banning of chewing gum are regarded as extremely harsh by societies that have had the advantage of a slow transition into modern society as opposed to Singapore, where it had to be done basically within one generation.

Thus the social engineering that has taken place.
I think that one visit must have been many, many years ago.
It's a great place, been there a couple of times in the last 2 years, Batz, how awesome is Chinatown in the early evening, great food right on the streets.

booargy said:
Dave70 your hatred will make you blind just like those whom you despise so much. Relax, have a brew, read a footrot flats comic and have a laugh.
I work with people who refuse to accept that a solar panel produces power. They are no different from the people who think that we can live with out burning coal.
I hate heaps of stuff.
You'll need to narrow it down a bit.

pcmfisher said:
The difference is you can show them that a solar panel does produce power........
You don't need coal to make electricity. but you can't make steel without coal or charcoal.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
known locally as Four Floors of Whores.
looks like I may have to stay longer than a few hours next time. If you get caught with another bloke will you be in twice as much shit?

booargy said:
You don't need coal to make electricity. but you can't make steel without coal or charcoal.
But.
Fuckin magnets, how do they work?

booargy said:
Welllllllll..... strictly speaking what you need is carbon. Any source of relatively pure carbon will do.

There is some interesting research into using old plastic as a cheap and plentiful carbon source for steelmaking.

Oh yeah... edit - :icon_offtopic:

Airgead said:
Welllllllll..... strictly speaking what you need is carbon. Any source of relatively pure carbon will do.

There is some interesting research into using old plastic as a cheap and plentiful carbon source for steelmaking.

Oh yeah... edit - :icon_offtopic:
yeah carbon is what you need from the coal. the plastic sounds interesting will have to do some research cheers.

booargy said:
yeah carbon is what you need from the coal. the plastic sounds interesting will have to do some research cheers.
Apologies for perpetuating the off topic but...

The person you want to look up is Professor Veena Sahajwalla. Director of the sustainable materials processing center at UNSW -

As a result of this singular drive, she has invented a world-first, environmentally friendly process for recycling end-of-life plastics and rubber tyres in steelmaking.
http://www.smart.unsw.edu.au/people/director-scientia-professor-veena-sahajwalla

I think steel is plenty sexy. Mmmmmmm.... Austenite... cementite... perlite...

Have you ever seen a prettier phase diagram?

Metastable%20Fe-C%20Phase%20Diagram.gif

And don't get me started on those fancy alloys...

Bribie G said:
We are talking about a country that maintains a squad of toilet police who patrol public toilets. When you emerge from the cubicle they can hold you then rush in to see if you have flushed. If not you are in big trouble. I've only been to Singapore once, many years ago. A guy with a ruler measured the length of my hair to see if I could enter the country.

In an interview a couple of years ago the former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew said that in rapidly developing a modern urban society from a base of millions of peasants who didn't know how to wipe their bums and who thought that spitting in lifts was acceptable, they had to be given a quick hurry-up into the 20th century. Thus some laws such as birching and the banning of chewing gum are regarded as extremely harsh by societies that have had the advantage of a slow transition into modern society as opposed to Singapore, where it had to be done basically within one generation.

Thus the social engineering that has taken place.
But probably one of the few cities you can walk around at 3 am alone and feel safe. I'd give up legal sale of chewing gum to avoid the streets looking like London's any day (you can still bring it in for personal consumption).

Its a place which gives you the freedom of choice and leaves you alone unless you do something wrong you get punished and then punished hard.

As for the social engineering, maybe a bit of that. Call it a benign dictatorship if you like, but it works. They pay their politicians and public service equivalent to private enterprise so their is pretty much zero incentive for corruption.

Singapore is a user-pays society with virtually zero social security. No pension. No government healthcare. Low direct taxes capped at 20%.

Lowest crime rate in Asia and murder rate of any city in the world. Pretty much zero drug tolerance.

2013 GDP per capita for Australia 43K, Singapore 65K, reported by IMF.

Bribie, please tell me where you would rather bring up your kids..... ?

Yes I agree , its safe but most I know that live there want to live here.
Housing and car ownership is not easy for them, car ownership lottery is the norm.

Goose said:
Singapore is a user-pays society with virtually zero social security. No pension. No government healthcare. Low direct taxes capped at 20%.
Is Tony Abbott their leader as well..... ?

Eas up. Tony is a great bloke. Just ask...um.........I will have to get back to you on that one

Online Brewing Supplies said:
**** Tony, he is screwing all our pensioners and it is shameful.
Ahh, Tony, the Man who was elected on one-line slogans who now spends most of his time pandering to a fat guy who bought his way into politics.

Back on topic, I'd bet the mad monk would ban any gay leaning literature if he could get away with it.

Latest posts

Back