Simplest Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah 4 star.. it was presertive free.. Good stuff..

Cheers Vice

giddy up. let me know how it turns out. Im thinking of doing an allsorts juice cider soon too. Some from aldi, berri, homebrand, etc and blend them all up. Hopefully get a different flavour profile happening. I might even buy a few L of the 'freshly squeezed' stuff and see how that goes in it. After all, the aldi cider only cost me a grand total of 20 odd bucks. @ around 60 cents a pint you cant go wrong!

Did you get the Aldi for $3.50 per 2L ??

Seems steep.

Cheers Vice

I'm about to make up a small batch of simplest using nothing but Home Brand apple juice and a small starter of recultured Coopers yeast. Anyone tried this yeast in a cider before? I reckon the fruity notes would work really well. Hopefully it won't attenuate down too far. I'm hoping it'll end up around 1.005.

I'm just doing a small batch - I'll simply dump the yeast into the 3L juice bottle.

From what I've read here. You should probably add a little yeast nutrients when you pitch straight into a juice bottle. I'm not sure if this is a dry yeast only thing though. I pitched about 1gm of US05 into two litres of no-name apple juice and it all worked, but the gas has a definite egg smell. I've left it in the fridge for a little while and I'll see if it settles out.

I used a table spoon of nutregent in mine with 2 packs of US05.. really hope i dont get a egg flavour..

Will let you guys know down the track..

My SG was 1.043 so im gonna check if its moved tonight :)

Cheers Vice

From what I've read here. You should probably add a little yeast nutrients when you pitch straight into a juice bottle. I'm not sure if this is a dry yeast only thing though

I have dumped about a third of an old kit yeast (Coopers) into a juice bottle before and had good results. The cider was nice and definitely not too dry. I'm kind of thinking the lack of nutrients helps the yeast to peter out sooner resulting in a slightly sweeter brew. Had no problems carbing either, although I did condition for about six weeks before drinking.

Regarding using the Coopers reculturing, I'm sure a little of the malt extract used to build up the starter will make it into the juice bottle and will provide a bit of yeasty-food.

Bottled mine on saturday night. It's cleared out beautifully, and I'll be hanging to try it.

Hey Guys.

Well my Cider is deffently on its way.. hit 1.021sg last night and im hoping will be around 1.005 by friday for a kegging and weekend sesh..

Just wondering when i should be getting the clearing of the cider. its very cloudy atm. will this happen when its chilled in the keg or in the final stages of fermentation.

Cheers Vice

Hey Guys.

Well my Cider is deffently on its way.. hit 1.021sg last night and im hoping will be around 1.005 by friday for a kegging and weekend sesh..

Just wondering when i should be getting the clearing of the cider. its very cloudy atm. will this happen when its chilled in the keg or in the final stages of fermentation.

Cheers Vice
Funny, mine was really cloudy on hydro sampling, but once I started bottling them they were Extremely clear. That was on about 2-3 weeks in the fermenter. I should've run some off the tap before my sample, I think.

Just did a second batch of the cider as it seemed to be enjoyed by a few people. 6x2.4L Berri Apple, 2x2.4L Berri Apple/Pear, 200g LDME, 2tspn yeast nutrient and a 1.5L starter of wyeast 4766 cider. Was 1.044 which i thought was a little low. Need to take a sample of it tonight to see how it's travelling. Once done I'll chill it for a few days, transfer onto some gelatine and then keg.

Preparing for XMAS Day here, attempted a Cheeky Vimto Clone on Mon.

20L of no preservative Apple Juice

Couldn't find Vimto, so

2.4L no preservative Grape Juice, so it's now a Cheeky Grape :lol:

Recipe called for 200g of sugar but I dropped it, want to see how this juice ferments out before adding sucrose.

OG 1.043

Fermenting ATM with S-04 current grav 1.021

Sounds awesome Screwy!!

My first simple cider (half apple/half apple pear then put an extra bottle of apple juice in the keg) was a real hit with the missus, and I'd like to start exploring different fruits now :)

7 x 3 litre bottles of coles apple juice ( but only got charged for 6, bonus!!! )
Nottingham ale yeast
Bung all in fermenter and let it go for 4 weeks, at ambient. 18 - 30 deg C
Great semi-dry cider.

What may be of interest is this yeast actually through a krousen, which suprised me..

Finished at about 1010

Put my first cider down just then.

4x 3L Apple Juice
4x 2.4l Berri Apple/Pear Juice
Champagne yeast (what is it...ec-1113?) Can't remember exactly. the pack's in the bin.
og=1042
fg=1002
Tasted the first one last night. It's only 1.5 weeks in the bottle, and it was warm so I added some ice cubes, so let's not take this tasting as gospel, okay?
Tastes a bit thin, medium sweetness. SWMBO had a try, said the pear was very noticable, but nice. Overall it's quite nice and quaffable, but for future ciders I'll drop the pear back a fair bit.
Will crack a few open over Christmas hols, but I'll keep half the batch for a couple of months to see how it develops.

Tasted the first one last night. It's only 1.5 weeks in the bottle, and it was warm so I added some ice cubes, so let's not take this tasting as gospel, okay?
Tastes a bit thin, medium sweetness. SWMBO had a try, said the pear was very noticable, but nice. Overall it's quite nice and quaffable, but for future ciders I'll drop the pear back a fair bit.
Will crack a few open over Christmas hols, but I'll keep half the batch for a couple of months to see how it develops.

Hi Pete,

Did you sweeten when bottling? I need to bottle mine, but it tastes quite sharp. I guess the carb will lessen this but just interested to know if sweetening is necessary.

Thanks
Andrew.

Preparing for XMAS Day here, attempted a Cheeky Vimto Clone on Mon.

20L of no preservative Apple Juice

Couldn't find Vimto, so

2.4L no preservative Grape Juice, so it's now a Cheeky Grape :lol:

Recipe called for 200g of sugar but I dropped it, want to see how this juice ferments out before adding sucrose.

OG 1.043

Fermenting ATM with S-04 current grav 1.021

Good thing I didn't add sugar, it's now at 1.004, should have pulled it up at about 1.012 with some Pottasium Sorbate, might have to add something non fermentable to sweeten it a little. Next time I'll pull it up, wanted a low ABV cider for XMAS day.

Screwy

Hi Pete,

Did you sweeten when bottling? I need to bottle mine, but it tastes quite sharp. I guess the carb will lessen this but just interested to know if sweetening is necessary.

Thanks
Andrew.
No I just primed with Dextrose. 1st cider ever, so I wasn't sure about how to go about it. I just kept it simple. The pear has given it the sweet edge, as I've read.

Well mines down at 1.010 atm making it 4.3% down from 1.043, got it down to 5 Deg to stop the fementation and am gonna keg it tonight.

Planning on keeping it fairly cold to stop any further fementation.

Whats your guys thaughts on doing this ??

Cheers Vice

Well mines down at 1.010 atm making it 4.3% down from 1.043, got it down to 5 Deg to stop the fementation and am gonna keg it tonight.

Planning on keeping it fairly cold to stop any further fementation.

Whats your guys thaughts on doing this ??

Cheers Vice

I suspect it will still ferment out even at the lower temp albeit at a slower rate.

If you want it to stay at 1.010 i would be adding potassium sorbate (or metabisulphite) to kill the yeast - not that i have done this but from my reading this should put a halt to fermentation.

Back