Simmerstat Wiring...friendly Sparky Help Needed..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domonsura

Beer stuff maker
Reaction score
Question for the sparky's, if you have a simmerstat controller that has pilot terminal. is it necessary to use that terminal, or will the controller still work without it connected to anything? ie, just the load (element) , active and earth connected appropriately?
Any help appreciated

bump, c'mon clever people !

Post a pic. Should probably work I guess, as long as you know which terminal is line and which is load. Don't do much of that work anymore though.

Oh yeah, all wiring should be carried out by an appropriately liscened blah blah........... I read that one so often I should have it as my signature

Question for the sparky's, if you have a simmerstat controller that has pilot terminal. is it necessary to use that terminal, or will the controller still work without it connected to anything? ie, just the load (element) , active and earth connected appropriately?
Any help appreciated
Pretty sure the pilot terminal is only so you can have a pretty red neon go on and off with the element, post a pic of the unit and its make model so we can look for a wiring diagram on the net.

simmerstat.JPG

simmerdiagram.JPG

This is the sucker.
My interpretation of the wiring diagram says, it should be

LOAD = 1 element terminal
LINE = Active power wire from power supply
NEUT = 2nd element terminal and neutral wire from power supply
(as well as the earth running right through from the vessel the element is in, to the earth on the power supply.)

edit: read the post posted while I was posting, and added wiring diagram.

A mate in the BBC is an A grade Licenced Electrician.

He wired my simmerstat in my Electric Copper washer for me.

Let em know if you want him to look at it.

simmerstat.JPG

simmerdiagram.JPG

This is the sucker.
My interpretation of the wiring diagram says, it should be

LOAD = 1 element terminal
LINE = Active power wire from power supply
NEUT = 2nd element terminal and neutral wire from power supply
(as well as the earth running right through from the vessel the element is in, to the earth on the power supply.)
edit: read the post posted while I was posting, and added wiring diagram.

Yep. It'll be for a pilot light, that's why you've got two neutral terminals. One for the element, one for the LED. The pilot terminal will remain live whatever setting you've got the simmerstat sitting on, to power up the LED and let you know its on, however the load terminal will cycle on and off, according to where you;ve got the dial set. Be Careful!!!

Latest posts

Back