Silicon Hose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
I need to upgrade the transfer hoses on the brew rig - ie.. from HLT to MT, MT to kettle and kettle out. I've heard silicone is the way to go - where can I buy this stuff in Sydney?

Cheers - Mike :icon_cheers:

You need food grade silicon, Kitchen / Catering supply shops might stock them. Otherwise I bought online mine from craftbrewer, it was only $1.80 for a 10mm x 1m length of hose

You need food grade silicon, Kitchen / Catering supply shops might stock them. Otherwise I bought online mine from craftbrewer, it was only $1.80 for a 10mm x 1m length of hose

Umm, silicon hose is bout 10 times that price. linky

edit link

Try silicone

Silicon would not be a great material to use for a hose.

Oh, my bad!

Well what's the difference between vynil tubing and silicone?

Not wanting to sound like a dick, but that's like asking the difference between aluminium and stainless steel for example.. they're different materials with different properties.

Vinyl is cheap and nasty, afaik isn't food safe with boiling liquids, it gets very soft when it's warm and can collapse and kink farily easily. Silcone doesn't do any of that stuff, it seems to excel over vinyl in nearly every way. Only possible advantages I can see for vinyl is that its clearer, and has thinner walls (which may or may not be an advantage, depending on application)

If you are using it for transfer hoses, there is some stuff that ibrew sell that looks pretty good to me. Seems like its probably sturdier than silicon (ie its reinforced) and its quite a bit cheaper ($8.50/m). Next time I get some transfer hoses this is probably what I will get.

Scroll down to the bit on "Heat Tolerant Hose" on this page for more info: http://www.ibrew.com.au/html/equipment/syp...nsandpumps.html

T.D. Fair comment. I am hoping to be able to lower the price if the oz dollar keeps steady. I am also brining out a thinner walled tube to provide a more cost effective alternative.

Holy hell, that silicone tubing is expensive these days! I bought some a couple of years back for $13/m from memory!

I bought a metre a few weeks back,it's almost too expensive to justify these days. I'm on the look-out for an alternative, or perhaps import my own.

Batz

T.D. Fair comment. I am hoping to be able to lower the price if the oz dollar keeps steady. I am also brining out a thinner walled tube to provide a more cost effective alternative.

Sounds good Brissy! :super:

I bought a metre a few weeks back,it's almost too expensive to justify these days. I'm on the look-out for an alternative, or perhaps import my own.

Batz

Have you seen the ibrew stuff? Rated to 98deg and only $8.50/m. Looks pretty good...

Have you seen the ibrew stuff? Rated to 98deg and only $8.50/m. Looks pretty good...

Cheers T.D.
Looks like it worth a go hey?

Batz

Cheers T.D.
Looks like it worth a go hey?

Batz

I emailed them re: this hose and these are the responses, looks the goods... :)
it is made up of 2 hoses..the inside is rated FDA (food grade). The outside is rubber and smells a bit but liquid is not coming into contact with that.
You do need to run hot water through it for some time before use to remove any manufacturing residues that may be present.
Regards
Jayne
Post would be $8.50.
Heat tolerant hose is $8.50 a metre
The $8.50 postage she based on 2 metres but im sure they could fit more metres in for the same price.... As that still works out at $12.75 metre(inc postage) but still $5.15 cheaper per metre(without postage) than silicone....

Latest posts

Back