Silicon hose vs "economy" silicon hose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more expensive hose usually has thicken walls and is used to move wort under pressure ie pumping from one vessel to another.

I would expect the cheaper one should be OK for the bottling bucket as I assume it is gravity fed.

Yeah, the thinner walled silicone (not silicon which is a mineral element) tends to suck in if used on the inlet side of a wort pump causing flow restriction or blockage. Should be OK for your purpose though.

The one that is twice the price will last about five times longer, makes good sense to me as I intent to be using it for a long time.
Mark

Feldon said:
Yeah, the thinner walled silicone (not silicon which is a mineral element)
Yes, I thought silicone, but went with the spelling on G&G's site.

MHB said:
The one that is twice the price will last about five times longer, makes good sense to me as I intent to be using it for a long time.
Mark
5x? Is that hyperbole, or a realistic estimate? I'm just racking beer, not sure what will wear it out. Does it corrode or become brittle?

I got some of the "good" stuff that ten years old, still strong and flexible. It ends up getting used for all sorts of jobs, not necessarily the one you had in mind at the start.
The lighter tube I find tends to fracture around where its clamped and is always getting shorter.
Found the better tube to be a worthwhile investment, but quality over price usually is.
Mark

I've got some of the keg king tubing, which I'm guessing is thinner because it was cheap.

When it's hot (ie pumping near-boiling water) it can kink/collapse and block the flow. The outlet of the pump points up and I've got excess tubing that hangs down a bit. While that's my fault for having too much excess tubing, I haven't got everything completely nutted out yet and you can't cut something longer.

I use the 10mm id silicone hose for transfers and highly recommend it. Thick walled and fits both my plastic fermentor taps and brewbuckets.

I use the thinner walled stuff for racking. Zero issues. When I add a pump to my system I'll definitely be using the thick walled.

Camo6 said:
I use the 10mm id silicone hose for transfers and highly recommend it. Thick walled and fits both my plastic fermentor taps and brewbuckets.
Where did you find 10mm I.D. silicon hose?

If its just for racking and doesn't need to be heat rates, the 13mm clear vinyl tubing at bunnings is about $13 for 10m and fits straight onto fermenter taps.

Find in the garden section.

SmallFry said:
Where did you find 10mm I.D. silicon hose?
I got mine from Craftbrewer. 10mm or 3/8 id in the description. Also makes for a cheap bottle/growler filler for my perlicks.

I used to use the vinyl tube but found it went hard after repeated cleaning and sanitising.

I bought some silicone hose from G&G recently for a blow off tube and pretty sure I went with the cheaper option. It is very good quality and was very thick. More than adequate. I believe the cheap stuff is from China and the expensive stuff is from the USA, but they appeared to be off similar quality.

Prince Imperial said:
Well, EZ siphon, but that's great, the pressure shouldn't be an issue!
Please check the diameter of your siphon as the silicone hose hose may be too big. Mine is too big for my siphon, but fits well on a fermentor tap

My siphon is 1/2", so 12mm should fit. In fact I did buy a meter of the $12pm stuff a while back and have been jamming some if the bunnings hose up the end to elongate it. Works ok, but I'd rather just go with 3m of silicone. Why did I only but a meter you ask? Because I'm a moron!

I got stuff from gryphon yonks ago. Fits fermenter taps ball valve barbs etc no worries. Even use some to connect my manifold to the bulkhead t-piece.
In the scheme of things (2-3 m of tubing) the extra expense is not really much of an expense at all. Mine has lasted several years with no sign of deterioration.

Have people talking about thick vs thin realised linked tubes in OP are both 12mm?

Ok, it's a little off topic, but for my job I've occasionally had to purchase food grade certified silicone hose for various purposes. The last stuff we bought was 10mm ID thick walled polyester reinforced stuff. 10m cost 600 bucks! Admittedly it was Oz made, and came with a compliance certificate, but I've never been able to find food grade silicone hose cheaper than through the local home brew suppliers.

Could one of the HBS guys tell me if they can get a compliance certificate for their stuff? I might have an order for you the next time we need some!

Latest posts

Back