Silicon hose vs "economy" silicon hose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
I got stuff from gryphon yonks ago. Fits fermenter taps ball valve barbs etc no worries. Even use some to connect my manifold to the bulkhead t-piece.
In the scheme of things (2-3 m of tubing) the extra expense is not really much of an expense at all. Mine has lasted several years with no sign of deterioration.

Have people talking about thick vs thin realised linked tubes in OP are both 12mm?
Not much of a description on the economy hose from G&G but I imagine it's also referring to internal diameter (ID) not the outside diameter (OD) which would depend on the wall thickness.

I bought a fair bit of the lighter stuff to save a buck but ended up replacing it for the HD as the former was too easy to kink, stained a lot quicker and split at the ends over time. I also find the thick walled stuff a lot easier to remove from taps and barbs.

If you want something long lasting tygon tube is suitable for petrol and withstands pumping pressure and suction pressure is also food grade. Expensive yes will last your brewing career for whichever use. For what you want it for Prince go for the cheapest, will last for your brewing career if just bottling.

One more thing - thinner stuff is a bad idea to use on the suction side of a pump. When it gets very hot and you have a stuck sparge, expect it to collapse. Not good for pumps and the thicker stuff may pay itself off very quickly.

The cheaper silicone hose from G&G is not the thin stuff like the shite from Keg King. I buy quality and would have no hesitation buying the cheaper silicone tubing from G&G for cold side operations. For the hot side I would pay the extra cash and get the made in the USA stuff from the same retailer.

Back