Sierra Nevada@dan Murphys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you cant acknowledge that these are great beers, you probably are under the impression that a great PA or IPA should be a mouthful of passionfruit and citrusy hop flavour. It doesn't take a genius to dump a bucket of galaxy at flameout, but it does take some craft to balance a beer and make it drinkable.

+1 well said, the 2 beers discussed were made to be drinkable balanced examples of there respective styles, not hop bombs.

If you cant acknowledge that these are great beers, you probably are under the impression that a great PA or IPA should be a mouthful of passionfruit and citrusy hop flavour. It doesn't take a genius to dump a bucket of galaxy at flameout, but it does take some craft to balance a beer and make it drinkable.

:icon_vomit: My days of Galaxy and NS are over, buddy. There are too many better beers at my local to be bogged down by fruity overload (or overinflated legend for that matter)

Beers are not required to be stored cold by Sierra Nevada, but the beer savvy stores are storing the majority of stock cold, since it made the trip over here that way.

And you are indeed correct with Stone. They require their beers to be refrigerated at all times. The Stone beers that came over through the Monk for their US Craft Beer Week were refrigerated here, and kept in refrigeration at one of the liquor stores they ended up at.

Check the bottle, I'm pretty sure from memory on Friday night (although by that stage I'd had a few Torpedo's) they recommend storing the beer cold.

Also check out this grey market article and the response from Sierra Nevada

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2010/11/grey-i...-the-new-black/

I've had these beers 'grey', unknowingly at the time, and these ones I picked up from Dan's are so much better.

Of the three, I enjoy the pale ale the most.

it ran out fast, got a 6 pack of torpedo on thursday, went back on sunday for some pale and there was only 2 stubbies left

:icon_vomit: My days of Galaxy and NS are over, buddy. There are too many better beers at my local to be bogged down by fruity overload (or overinflated legend for that matter)

What do you like, Ted?

Enlighten us with your completely wank-fest-free recommendations.

You know that guy at the pub, who seems to know everything that's wrong with a subject, but not much that's right about it? ...you do sound a little like that bloke.

Are there truely people out there who know the going rate for Jousting Sticks? I think SNPA is a fine example of an APA. Am I dreamin'?

What do you like, Ted?

Are there truely people out there who know the going rate for Jousting Sticks?

I'd pay $250 for a set. Although then I'de probably need a horse, yes I know you could get away without using horses but it would not be quite as authentic hey, and I would also like some armour, and a coat of arms, and a stable keep, and a funny british accent much like the one I am typing this post with...................oh well back to my IPA on an RDO.

Cheers Brad

I'd pay $250 for a set. Although then I'de probably need a horse, yes I know you could get away without using horses but it would not be quite as authentic hey, and I would also like some armour, and a coat of arms, and a stable keep, and a funny british accent much like the one I am typing this post with...................oh well back to my IPA on an RDO.

Cheers Brad

Currently $10.99 (+ $12 postage) on ebay Brad :icon_cheers: Just hard plastic sadly.
You could get an inflatable one from China $1.99 to deal with the flocks of inflatable sheep.
Opps, wandering OT again...

Especially now they have taken the Wicked Elf Pale Ale off. :(

That would be Port Macquarie Golf Club.

I play at Wauchope. They won't even stock Wicked Elf in the bottle. When I asked them about it I was told very firmly by the bar guy that they'd never stock that "sh..t" here. You just can't help some people.

I was pulled over for a routine Breath Test on Saturday morning. Some old codger, about 97 in the shade, thought the copper was indicating for him to pull over from the far lane, so he just slammed on the anchors and cut across the left lane and into the parking lane chopping me off. Luckily I avoided the silly old bugger. When I said to the copper "some people are just unbelievable", he replied "you can't put brains in a statue". Same applies to peoples' taste about beer.

Don't care what anyone else says, I'm going to buy some more SNPA today (Dans at Woden/Phillip Canberra). Until they run out this'll be my main beer purchase...bought this all the time last year while touring around the States, esp at Servos for around $8.99 or so. Absolutely love this beer and have no idea what has happenned to the taste buds of numerous people on this forum (and another one) who seem to suddenly view this beer as 'ordinary' and 'underwhelming.'

I don't quite agree with your interpretation of peoples' view on this beer.
In essence what I did say was that it was a very nice beer, and also one I'd happily drink again, but that it didn't match up expectations based on all the hype I've read about it over the years. Maybe my expectations were unreasonable. Maybe everything you read on the web isn't quite the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
I still have 5 of mine left, and will drink them with pleasure, when I feel like it. And I will buy it again, but this time knowing what I'm buying. I also continue to buy my local beers from Wicked Elf. Having said that, the bulk of my consumption will still be my own brews, after all, as a self-funded retiree the pennies only stretch so far.

With terms like "wankfest" thrown about, I thought I was being somewhat measured in my opinion. Yeah, agreed though, brewing your own beer is a much better idea than buying six packs @ $20 on a regular basis. Must get back off the wagon...

Having one now... After having some mostly big flavored ipas, Belgians and beers over 1060 lately it's nice to have something nicely balanced and fresh. Just a really solid flavorsome apa. Love it.

I had my first SNPA and Torpedo the other day and i was really impressed with them actually.

Do we know if this will become a regular DM shelf item or is it a one off?

Check the bottle, I'm pretty sure from memory on Friday night (although by that stage I'd had a few Torpedo's) they recommend storing the beer cold.

Also check out this grey market article and the response from Sierra Nevada

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2010/11/grey-i...-the-new-black/

I've had these beers 'grey', unknowingly at the time, and these ones I picked up from Dan's are so much better.

Of the three, I enjoy the pale ale the most.

Indeed. Most, if not all US craft breweries usually have that "please store cold", or something similar on their labels. The difference between Sierra Nevada and Stone, is that Stone require their products to be stored cold at every step of the way, including at liquor stores. I don't understand how they could truely enforce that, but it is a part of their contracts as far as I am aware.

Sierra Nevada on the other hand, it was all about storage and cold transport from brewery -> Australia and at the wholesaler level. Pretty sure the importer is recommending that everyone store the beer at cooler temperatures.

:icon_vomit: My days of Galaxy and NS are over, buddy
Are yes, the veteran scorns our novitiate fawning over this particularly foppish beverage. Where are the hard-men of yesteryear? Probably attending a wankfest. God it must be lonely at the top ... sob ...

Cheers Brad

:icon_offtopic: You could substitute two halves of a coconut for a horse. The coconut may or may not be carried by a swallow.

Just cracked my first snpa, wow!!! Well balanced and nice mouth feel, 5 more to go!!!

Latest posts

Back