Sierra Nevada@dan Murphys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just came back from a USA Holiday and both myself and my mate decided on attempting to try all the US Beers we could!
Well, certainly out of all of them the SNPA stood out from the crowd, most others were crap!
Might have to grab a case now! Although the almost double price difference is hard to swallow!!!

I was recently in a NY corner store just off Broadway chatting to a NYPD cop, who'd been flirting heavily with the checkout chick. He turns around and checks out my Torpedo six pack and we chatted for a while about American Ales. I would have picked him for a Bud drinker, but he reeled off a bunch of "must trys", most of which I forgot. Makes ya wonder what an Aussie cop knows about beer ... he was interested when I told him about Little Creatures.

It's companys like SN (1980) that are pivotal to what we brew now. And if NY cops are well-versed in craft brews then how long will it take for the Aussie Blue Collar bloke to embrace a flavourful beer?

It's companys like SN (1980) are pivotal to what we brew now.

Maybe. But when it starts to be imported en-masse and sold by Dan's, you can be sure it will soon be BUL.

I watched a movie recently where Kevin Costner played a supporting role (for his star has faded) and in a scene they were sitting at the old formica kitchen table drinking SNPA. Of course the label was facing the camera, so it clearly wasn't an accidental appearance from everyone's favourite yankee demigod.

Australian micro's can stand proudly within the style, but the 'legend' status of beers such as SNPA bury the local produce. Dudes should try looking in your own backyard for USA (styled) PA's.

Sierra Nevada is not going to be brewed under license. It is being imported by an independant distributor over here in Western Australia.

Sierra Nevada is not going to be brewed under license. It is being imported by an independant distributor over here in Western Australia.

You're saying never ? If Dan's get's a hold of it, and ships some serious units per annum, the game plan may change.

Dan Murphy's are not importing Sierra Nevada, and given how particular Sierra Nevada are about the brand, they required refrigerated shipping. Given that is the case, I find it doubtful they would trust any other brewer to produce beer under their label and take away the integrity of their products.

Cracked a SNPA tonight from Dans at Mittagong. BB May 2012. Great head and great lacing. Slight malty aroma - certainly not hoppy aromatic. Initial taste of a well attenuated beer but lacking body. Quite dry in fact. Left a bit in the glass and picked some melanoiden notes as it warmed up. Probably either munich or aromatic malt. At 5.6% I would have expected a lot more body to support the ethanol.

Bad? no way, just my pedantic desire for the best. Enjoy.

Wes

Dan Murphy's are not importing Sierra Nevada, and given how particular Sierra Nevada are about the brand, they required refrigerated shipping. Given that is the case, I find it doubtful they would trust any other brewer to produce beer under their label and take away the integrity of their products.

What about Stella Artois, a brewery around since the 1700's, holding over 70% of the marketshare in Belgian-brewed beers. A major figurehead in the style of Euro pilsner. A brewery with integrity. Once that became immensly popular in Australia as a premium product, a business decision was made by faceless executives to BUL the ******* in Abbotsford, Victoria.

The arguement towards integrity is futile when SABMiller comes knocking at the door with fistfuls of cash... or when Fosters does the same for local production & distribution rights. EVeryone has their price, and Corporation Inc. has the money to buy out anyone's good intentions.

I think that getting SN beers here mainstream can only be a good thing for the Aus craft/micro industry. It might make local players stand up and take note as well as inspiring new brewers.

The thing is they are a " legend" in the USA, they were there when the whole " craft beer" movement began, they focused their efforts on producing a tasty. hoppy beer of a high standard and consistency.

I am looking forward to trying their range that is available here. Then i try the pale ale clone recipes floating around yank brewing forums? pretty simple recipe too.

I doubt very much they would ever allow brew under licence.

my 2 bob

cheers

Got the last stubbie of SNPA, and one of the last stubbies of the Torpedo at the Dan's just off Brighton Rd on the way home.

I hope this shows the high-ups at Dan's that high-quality, high-cost beers are a viable market.

My local always has SNPA ... but never their IPA. Sad, because it's in the corner store in America.

EDIT: must check it up here. Website says YES. Anyone tried their Hefe?
Be thankful for small Murphys, I mean mercies.

Mercenary.

This is the CEO of Dan's

mercenary-lg.jpg

What about Stella Artois, a brewery around since the 1700's, holding over 70% of the marketshare in Belgian-brewed beers. A major figurehead in the style of Euro pilsner. A brewery with integrity. Once that became immensly popular in Australia as a premium product, a business decision was made by faceless executives to BUL the ******* in Abbotsford, Victoria.

The arguement towards integrity is futile when SABMiller comes knocking at the door with fistfuls of cash... or when Fosters does the same for local production & distribution rights. EVeryone has their price, and Corporation Inc. has the money to buy out anyone's good intentions.
If you're comparing InBev to SN then you're comparing chalk and cheese. Better to compare SN to Coopers who managed to fight of Lion a few years ago. SN COULD be brewed under licence but only if they sell the whole operation to someone like InBev, something I don't think will happen but, give the vagaries of corporate arrangements, could. And it's also true that Stella is a far more palatable beer to the great pool of beer ignoranuses. I think that SNPA can actually, truthfully be called a truly great beer.

I've tried it here (from Blackhearts and Sparrows) and in the UK and while the Torpedo is fantastic, I'd take a LCPA over the SNPA, hands down.

I think that SNPA can actually, truthfully be called a truly great beer.

And I would agree with you. Apologies to all for going off on a tangent. :icon_drunk:

Still see no point in buying more than a single bottle as a treat, then if you like it, brew a batch for yourself that will be a fresher product.

Still see no point in buying more than a single bottle as a treat, then if you like it, brew a batch for yourself that will be a fresher product.
Yes, well, it's not quite as straightforward as that, at least not for me. BTW, does anyone know what the carton price was at DMs?

If you're comparing InBev to SN then you're comparing chalk and cheese. Better to compare SN to Coopers who managed to fight of Lion a few years ago.

Before you start flying the flag for the great Australian brewery icon, we should consider that Coopers don't have the same patriotic allegiance as some of it's followers think.They (Coopers) were until recently the Australian distributors for Budweiser, and were in high level talks with InBev to BUL the stuff, going so far as to start kitting out their Regency Park premises for lagering, at what I'm sure was a considerable investment. In true Corporate Godzilla tactics, the previously burned Lion Nathan snatched the deal away from Coopers, leaving them out of pocket and without the contract.

All is not rosy in the world of commercial brewing.

Before you start flying the flag for the great Australian brewery icon [snip].
I would never do that, I'm not much of a patriot and given Ben Franklin's maxim I don't consider that a bad thing. I'm not sure what SN's business model is but I what I meant was that the likelihood of Coopers signature brands being BUL is comparable to SNs.
All is not rosy in the world of commercial brewing.
True.

Look Here

Calling my nearest Dans as I type, tomorrow is beerday, might as well have a great beer to share with son No.2 as he's home for the WE.

Screwy

Back