Sierra Nevada@dan Murphys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just grabbed a sixer each of the torpedo and pale from Dans on Doncaster rd. Will be grabbing a slab of the pale next pay day (if they've got any left).

Look Here

Calling my nearest Dans as I type, tomorrow is beerday, might as well have a great beer to share with son No.2 as he's home for the WE.

Screwy

Holy Christ, that's going to kill the independent bottleshops. For a $3.10 retail sale per bottle (case price), I doubt the indies could even bring it in for that, let alone flog it off for a profit. Last I saw SNPA it was $7 a single :huh:

Good for the beer connoisseurs in the short term, but it's just another step in the Woolworths/Coles duopoly raping the little guys in business. Once they close down the indies, they'll scrap the imports, and it will be Tooheys, VB & Hanner & Tongs for eternity.

Corporations: 1
Beer Appreciation Evolution: 0

Look Here

Calling my nearest Dans as I type, tomorrow is beerday, might as well have a great beer to share with son No.2 as he's home for the WE.

Screwy
Thanks. I bought a carton from the IBS specialty shop here in Perth about a month ago when the imports first started and the price was $77 a carton so not a big discount at DM but it is more convenient location wise for me.

Last time I bought it, it was $10 a six pack. Which is $9 Australian - for 6.

BUL would be great. No, I don't feel like arguing.
Good, you don't have one (argument that is).

They are at dm Munno Para been a while since i had a snpa but glad to tast teh torpedo the snpa i had years was fresh from the states via carry on bag was before that stupid 100ml liquid rule

Look Here

Screwy

I'm home for one stinking day then off to work again, will visit Dans and made it a Sierra Navada Saturday.

Holy Christ, that's going to kill the independent bottleshops. For a $3.10 retail sale per bottle (case price), I doubt the indies could even bring it in for that, let alone flog it off for a profit. Last I saw SNPA it was $7 a single :huh:

I think you will find thats incorrect, both the independent's and Dan's are buying from the same Australian distributor so the indies are able to access it for less than $3.10 per bottle. Direct imported SN has been around for at least a month now for between $4-$5 per bottle at independent bottle shops. For example, indie bottlos in Melbourne are selling SNPA cartons for as low as $75 (sane as Dans) and cartons of torpedo's for $85 (less than Dans).

I agree with your sentiment though people should be trying to support the independent bottle shops if they can offer it for a decent price.

Saw the torpedo at a cellarbrations, i was quite surprised as it is only small shop as well. I hadnt had one before so I got one and it was lubbery :icon_drool2:

bah

Any idea how much a carton was at cellarbrations bah?

Just picked up a carton of SNPA and am really enjoying the balance of the beer. So glad phoenix beers have got the importing right on these as they are selling for under $80 instead of near double that when it was a grey import. Will probably pick up a 6er of the IPA as well.

Now to come up with a good recipe so I can brew something similar

Yay my Dan's had em!!!

Can't say the Pale Ale blew me away as much as I thought it would but I'm quite in love with their Torpedo IPA right now :icon_drunk:.

Neither of them had as a big of a nose as I thought they would too.

*edit* IPA is too frigging good.... that is all...... carry on

If you guys one to go the next step up from the Torpedo, there is a small amount of Southern Hemisphere Harvest floating around the better independants. IPA hopped with super fresh New Zealand hops.

Why do so many Aussies brewers get a hard-on about SNPA ? Sure, it's a great, great style example, but any half decent brewer can knock out the equivalent or better for under $30 a corny keg. There's no magical moondust exclusive to this brewery that we can't access as an ingredient.

Many of you are getting ripped off because you're buying into the name/legend, instead of the beer. What's that old marketing saying.. Sell the sizzle not the steak

Maybe because its a classic, and that means something to a lot of brewers - respect for the pioneers. Bit like Pilsner Urquell, or Coopers. Not the best examples going around, but the first/original (or only -coopers) of its kind.

And SNPA is fresh and cheap here in Australia these days. That certainly helps.

Just picked up a carton of SNPA and am really enjoying the balance of the beer. So glad phoenix beers have got the importing right on these as they are selling for under $80 instead of near double that when it was a grey import. Will probably pick up a 6er of the IPA as well.

Now to come up with a good recipe so I can brew something similar

Yeah looking forward to knocking something out having tasted it for the first time tonight. Dans in Midland had a fair bit in the end...

I think you will find thats incorrect, both the independent's and Dan's are buying from the same Australian distributor so the indies are able to access it for less than $3.10 per bottle. Direct imported SN has been around for at least a month now for between $4-$5 per bottle at independent bottle shops. For example, indie bottlos in Melbourne are selling SNPA cartons for as low as $75 (sane as Dans) and cartons of torpedo's for $85 (less than Dans).

I agree with your sentiment though people should be trying to support the independent bottle shops if they can offer it for a decent price.

That's not how the major retail market works at all. Having been employed by a FMCG co in the past, I can tell you now that Woolworths & Coles are ruthless in their demands on suppliers to get a cheaper price. A true indie store, owned & operated privately with no affiliation to the duopoly that might buy three cartons of beer a week through the distributor is not going to get anywhere near the same wholesale price as a major retailer who has signed on to purchase two thousands cartons a month. This is where Dan Murphey's, First Choice, Vintage Cellars, BWS or the 450 ALH (Woolworths)owned pubs & bottleshops can make their money, strategically market loss leaders (selling at cost or below to get people into the store) and dominate the market.

Having also seen some distributor wholesale pricing for 'craft beers' owned by the major brewers (Fat Yak etc), the price that a stand-alone pub gets goods for is amazingly expensive. So much so that this pub in question find it cheaper to buy their Stella, Heinekin & Corona from the local First Choice rather than from direct distribution.

That's not how the major retail market works at all. Having been employed by a FMCG co in the past, I can tell you now that Woolworths & Coles are ruthless in their demands on suppliers to get a cheaper price. A true indie store, owned & operated privately with no affiliation to the duopoly that might buy three cartons of beer a week through the distributor is not going to get anywhere near the same wholesale price as a major retailer who has signed on to purchase two thousands cartons a month. This is where Dan Murphey's, First Choice, Vintage Cellars, BWS or the 450 ALH (Woolworths)owned pubs & bottleshops can make their money, strategically market loss leaders (selling at cost or below to get people into the store) and dominate the market.

Having also seen some distributor wholesale pricing for 'craft beers' owned by the major brewers (Fat Yak etc), the price that a stand-alone pub gets goods for is amazingly expensive. So much so that this pub in question find it cheaper to buy their Stella, Heinekin & Corona from the local First Choice rather than from direct distribution.

Ok you completely ignored my point here, you made an assertion that independents can't get SN for $3.10 a bottle - incorrect. This means that at the moment independents are competing with Woolies and Coles.

Again I agree with you sentiment here, I was just saying your assertion to support your argument is not correct. I agree that over time as SN builds volume in Coles /Woolies, they will demand a lower wholesale price, or demand larger rebates for volume breakages etc to lower their effective cost of gods sold.

If you guys one to go the next step up from the Torpedo, there is a small amount of Southern Hemisphere Harvest floating around the better independants. IPA hopped with super fresh New Zealand hops.

Cheers for the heads up! I will be trying to hunt it down.

Last time I bought it, it was $10 a six pack. Which is $9 Australian - for 6.

BUL would be great. No, I don't feel like arguing.

I've paid that for SNPA - at a freakin 7/11 service station.

Now I'm no mathematician, but according to my calculations that means this Mr Dan Murphy (if that is his real name) is minting it.

*edit* IPA is too frigging good.... that is all...... carry on

Sierra Nevada Torpedo

ABV: 7.2%
Yeast: Ale Yeast
Malts Two-row Pale, Carapils & Crystal
OG: 17.8 Plato (1.073)
TG: 4.6 Plato (1.018)
Bittering hops: Magnum
Finishing hops: Magnum & Crystal
Dry hopping: Magnum, Crystal & Citra
Bitterness units: 70

From what I've read about it - it's the Citra that's "torpedoed" with some kinda Hop Randall (or whatever they're called) contraption. I have a feeling that last season's Citra got snapped up by SN.

Latest posts

Back