Sierra Nevada@dan Murphys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnn.

SNPA's last decade's news.

I'll get excited when we start getting tap lists like my mate's local in LA.

Jesus, Chimay Tripel on tap!

... Might see if I can pick up the Torpedo, though :unsure: Frig, they've only got 40-odd bottles left in Kawana store already.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo

ABV: 7.2%
Yeast: Ale Yeast
Malts Two-row Pale, Carapils & Crystal
OG: 17.8 Plato (1.073)
TG: 4.6 Plato (1.018)
Bittering hops: Magnum
Finishing hops: Magnum & Crystal
Dry hopping: Magnum, Crystal & Citra
Bitterness units: 70

From what I've read about it - it's the Citra that's "torpedoed" with some kinda Hop Randall (or whatever they're called) contraption. I have a feeling that last season's Citra got snapped up by SN.

Cheers Nick :beer:

I'm seriously considering doing this, I've got the full recipe in a BYO magazine somewhere :icon_cheers:

Look Here

Calling my nearest Dans as I type, tomorrow is beerday, might as well have a great beer to share with son No.2 as he's home for the WE.

Screwy

According to that Albany Creek has got them in stock :blink:
Look in the sunny fenced off bit of the carpark.

Yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnn.

... Might see if I can pick up the Torpedo, though :unsure: Frig, they've only got 40-odd bottles left in Kawana store already.

Don't worry Shed... I've got your back down here in Caloundra. ;)

Don't worry Shed... I've got your back down here in Caloundra. ;)

How silly of me ... course you have.
You've got so much on the shelves now it's hard to pick!

Now why is it we don't get multiple page threads about smaller bottle shops stocking beer from a particular brewery???

And the wife picked me up a sixer of the IPA.... :icon_drool2:

SWMBO received my shopping list this morning, then sent a picture an hour later of my request.
2 x bottles Pale Ale and Kellerweis and a sixer of Torpedo. Looking forward to Friday Night Footy a whole lot more now.

Dan's Wentworthville still in stock but getting low apparently.

Yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnn.

Last time I was in cookie they had chimay on tap :)

Got asixer of each SN for the weekend. Looking forward to having a more fresh version :)

Cheers Nick :beer:

I'm seriously considering doing this, I've got the full recipe in a BYO magazine somewhere :icon_cheers:

Any chance of posting up the recipe?

I've paid that for SNPA - at a freakin 7/11 service station.

Now I'm no mathematician, but according to my calculations that means this Mr Dan Murphy (if that is his real name) is minting it.

We have much higher taxes on alcohol then the US. Having said that I'm sure this Dan Murphy fella isn't sort of a quid.

Burwood is out of stock, Alexandria had HEAPS of all the SN range, but none in fridges.....:(

Just went into Alexandria

Pale totally gone
Torpedo is down to the last 2 cases
Keller not much more maybe 3 cases

moving fast by the looks of it

had to settle for 2 sixers of the torpedo.

Now why is it we don't get multiple page threads about smaller bottle shops stocking beer from a particular brewery???

Probably because not many of us are lucky enough to have a great independent near us.

That's not how the major retail market works at all. Having been employed by a FMCG co in the past, I can tell you now that Woolworths & Coles are ruthless in their demands on suppliers to get a cheaper price. A true indie store, owned & operated privately with no affiliation to the duopoly that might buy three cartons of beer a week through the distributor is not going to get anywhere near the same wholesale price as a major retailer who has signed on to purchase two thousands cartons a month. This is where Dan Murphey's, First Choice, Vintage Cellars, BWS or the 450 ALH (Woolworths)owned pubs & bottleshops can make their money, strategically market loss leaders (selling at cost or below to get people into the store) and dominate the market.

Having also seen some distributor wholesale pricing for 'craft beers' owned by the major brewers (Fat Yak etc), the price that a stand-alone pub gets goods for is amazingly expensive. So much so that this pub in question find it cheaper to buy their Stella, Heinekin & Corona from the local First Choice rather than from direct distribution.

We sold 2 pallets in 5 days, and we are a tiny little shop in the suburbs of Perth, and our price was on par with Dan Murphy's.

The pricing structure on Sierra Nevada and the deals running with it, means that it can be put out at the same price as Dan's, with a healthy margin on it.

Contrary to what I posted earlier in this thread, I found it at Dans Port Macquarie today. Seemed to be plenty of stock there, including the Wheat and IPA.
Bought a sixer of the SNPA.
It's all the budget would run to, having just forked out for 2 new tyres for the Subaru.
The plan is to pour it into side by side glasses of the SNPA and Wicked Elf Pale Ale, just for comparison.

Thanks for the heads-up guys, called in to Dan's at Munno Para on my way back to the city today....got a few of each style....looking forward to trying tonight......Had plenty in stock.

Just picked up a 6er of Torpedo at Dans Menai they got all 3 there and the tastings are on
Staring at beer fridge waiting for it too cool down!!!!! :icon_cheers:

Just went into Alexandria

Pale totally gone
Torpedo is down to the last 2 cases
Keller not much more maybe 3 cases

moving fast by the looks of it

had to settle for 2 sixers of the torpedo.

WOW, I was in there late yesterday arvo too.........But they did have it in around 3 different locations so you had to hunt it down.

Been out shopping again today..........Decisions, decisions....

284208_10150331032274414_664679413_9498694_1713238_n.jpg

I had a taster or the Torpedo last night and wasn't all that impressed. Admittedly i had been tasting some very good super fresh IPAs from other brewers at BABBs.

Not writing it off as yet though... i shall be continuing this research along with determining the quality of the SNPA :chug:

Just tasted my first SNPA.

It's a very nice beer, but to me it in some ways seems overhyped.
The colour is not as dark as I had imagined it to be.
The aroma was lacking much in the way of obvious US hop character, certainly a lot less than my own APA brews, or our local Wicked Elf American Pale Ale.
Very clean malt character, but with less body than my own APAs of a similar ABV. Again, I expected more hop character in its flavour than I could perceive.
Nice bitterness and clean finish.

Maybe I'm a little harsh, but when you've been spoiled with your own brews, I think I'm entitled to expect a really exciting brew after all the hype I've read over the years. Having said that, I still think it's way ahead of the usual Aus megabrews, I dispair at the choice at my golf club, out of 8 taps, the only drinkable brew is Tooheys Old.
I'd happily drink SNPA any time it's offered to me, but I think there are better brews.

By the way, the SNPA was my first brew for the day, so my palate was fresh.

IMG_0958.jpg

Latest posts

Back