Show Us Your Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to having a crack myself. Hopefully I won't be too late for this year's harvest - Grape crusher arriving around Easter (thanks FJ).

I didn't realize their was any difference... :p

This fruit has not gone through a traditional crusher, so we would have approx 25% whole berries at the moment, so we are indirectly doing a bit of a Carbonic Maceration.

It will be interesting to see if you get any cabmac character. I try to get cab mac wiith whole bunch rather than whole berries. In my experiences, the whole berries still break down in the fermentation, I think the yeast can get in through where the pedicel was attached.

I did cab mac last vintage on the sangiovese and the berries where still tight on the bunches at press. I tasted a few and they had a lot of the cab mac character.

I'd be interested in how you go.

the sangio/cab sauv /grenache sounds like a good mix. All from the Hills?

All Adelaide Hills GI. Also trying about 6T of Sang cab mac at the vineyard. Hand picked with about 30L of active must over the top and sealed in plastic bags.

All Adelaide Hills GI. Also trying about 6T of Sang cab mac at the vineyard. Hand picked with about 30L of active must over the top and sealed in plastic bags.

how old is the grenache vineyard and is there any left?

What sort of flavours does this cab mac impart?

What sort of flavours does this cab mac impart?

dependant on variety but normally a fruiter character, I often get raspberry type form Shiraz, but once you have tasted a cab mac wine the character is unmistakable.

The structure is different as well, more rounded mouth feel. From memory from a higher glycerol production.

Find a place that sells current vintage beaujolais. It will have the cab mac character.

It is not a character I like a lot of, but I find it can add a good level of complexity to a wine when done as a small percentage, I go for 5-10% whole bunch in most of my fermentations.

does any one on here have an opinion on those wine kits like you get at grain and grape.wouldnt mind having a go but dont really want to jump right off the deep end just yet.are they worth it or will i endup with a cask wine type of result.

how old is the grenache vineyard and is there any left?
The Grenache is about 10 years old. I will need to see on Monday how much is left, might have a bit of Nebbiolo, no Montepulciano though, the heat wave in November fried it. Got a bit of Savignan Blanc (Previously known as Albarino) a few are going to try it as a port base. Nearly everything picked in the hills and Barossa now.

No way!!! fraser_john... I've been watching some of your videos on youtube lately to learn a bit about AG brewing. I should have figured you'd be on this site somewhere. Nice job on the videos, by the way

Looking forward to having a crack myself. Hopefully I won't be too late for this year's harvest - Grape crusher arriving around Easter (thanks FJ).

OH NO....dont show me this....NO!!!...If I see wine making then I will get into it too....NOOOOOOOOO.......

So where do I start :)

Where can I buy shiraz grapes? Awww ****!!! Wine making here i come...

My shiraz, another poor vintage, but due to extra heavy pruning to get the vines shaped properly, next year should be awesome.

Shiraz_Vinatage_2010_4502m.jpg

Shiraz_Vinatage_2010_4535m.jpg

Shiraz_Vinatage_2010_4565m.jpg

No way!!! fraser_john... I've been watching some of your videos on youtube lately to learn a bit about AG brewing. I should have figured you'd be on this site somewhere. Nice job on the videos, by the way

ha ha, awesome siborg, just saw this comment :)

John, you grow all your own grapes and make wine... that's really awesome! I was gonna get into it just before I discovered there was more to beer making besides kits, and was kind of put off when told that wine costs more to make... unless you know someone who you can buy grapes from or grow your own.

At the right time of year you can buy grapes easily by the kg, might be getting a tad late now, though round Geelong there are still some people selling, pricey though due to cooler climate.

At the right time of year you can buy grapes easily by the kg, might be getting a tad late now, though round Geelong there are still some people selling, pricey though due to cooler climate.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll get better at beer first. Then I'll try my hand at wine.

dependant on variety but normally a fruiter character, I often get raspberry type form Shiraz, but once you have tasted a cab mac wine the character is unmistakable.

The structure is different as well, more rounded mouth feel. From memory from a higher glycerol production.

Find a place that sells current vintage beaujolais. It will have the cab mac character.

It is not a character I like a lot of, but I find it can add a good level of complexity to a wine when done as a small percentage, I go for 5-10% whole bunch in most of my fermentations.

Mmmmm, beaujolais.

I was living in France about 10 years ago and was told by the fellow labrats that they were throwing a beaujolais party. I didnt understand what they were on about so they took me shopping. We left the supermarket with a trolley full of wine, cheese, baguettes etc. Glass of wine in hand, chunks of baguette with a slab of cheese. Jaysus it was a tough period in my life!

Last years sangiovese is certainly more fruit driven that your traditional oaked red wines. Whilst we added a small amount of oak for the 5 days it was fermented on skin the wine is lighter in colour, lower in tannins and far too easy to drink. I did squish the grapes when i was plunging the cap twice a day but when we pressed it there were a lot of whole grapes.

Never thought to compare it to beaujolais but i can sort of see what you are talking about.

For the first few years i was back in Australia a french mate sent me a bottle of fresh beaujolais. Might have to convince him to do so again.

Back to the current vintage - BYB lent me his trophy from ANAWBS 2005 - a cap plunger engraved with his name! No more hand plunging - makes life easier! Smelling good!

Back