Should I Crash Chill A Hefeweizen?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shark

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Currently brewing a Hefeweizen fresh wort kit which will be going straight into a keg.

Just wondering if I should crash chill it or just keg it straight away? I know wheat beers are meant to be cloudy.

Thanks
Ben

Really good question; I have always chilled mine, but thinking about it next time I will not.

QldKev

Heads or Tails its up to you, personaly I like my homebrew as clear as possable to impress non homebrew drinkers'you know the ones typical VBer's "I dont drink homebrew its cloudy and tastes funny"even when youve told them it's a wheat style and meant to be a bit cloudy, also crash chilling to kill the yeast before kegging prevents over carbing if kegs arnt kept cold before cosumption[to many kegs to fit in kegerator] ;)
Russ

I'd say yes, depending on how much yeast you have in suspension and how you go about kegging it. If you rack top down and it taste good currently, i wouldnt bother, If you rack from the tap and it tastes on the upper end of yeasty, id think about crash chilling it. Atleast for 24 hours. As when you keg/bottle it, you will drag a whole bunch of extra yeast from the cake into your keg. Making it yeastier than you desire. Another option would be to ramp up your temps at the end of fermentation to induce the yeast to finish up and then see if they naturally flocc out.

If you have a filter, you could always filter it and then do an add back of yeast with some unfiltered beer left over in the fermenter! :lol:

The next weizen i will do i will proabably filter as a krystallweizen, just so i can see if the beer profile is as i desire. Then do another of the same recipe (if its good) unfiltered just to compare.

I guess you've used the WB06 yeast, if you haven't then you may well want to drop the ale yeast out as much as possible. If you have used the WB06, like any tradtional weizen yeast it will take several days of chill to drop out as it is a vey non-flocculent yeast, hence the reason they are traditionally drunk in the cloudy state. But other than that as the others have said it is up to your taste.

Also note depending on how quick you get through it in the keg, a lot of it will drop out and line the bottom of your keg anyway if you leave it hanging around a few weeks.

That is one Class A1 label BTW, very nice.

Thanks everyone. I used the safbrew wb06.

Might just keg with out the crash chill and see how I go.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Ben

Back